Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 07:25 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
DW and I have had both good a bad experiences on large and small lots. To try to get away from obnoxious noise is a real PITA, and really requires a lot more of from the quality of your neighbors than the size of your land.

Good neighbors = good quality of life.
True, and good can simply mean considerate. It doesn’t have to be BFF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 03:46 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,926,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPham06 View Post
Well it pays to do your homework for sure and thank you google satellite map.
Found a beautiful home on 124 acres, ticked all the boxes, on further inspection and investigation of the neighbouring properties, it turned out that opposite the land had not one but two race tracks for motorbikes/quad bikes.

Holy moly, so glad to have dodged that bullet!
Yep that's a real problem out in areas with no zoning restrictions. Dirt bike noise can go for miles. Those tracks tend to destroy property values for a long distance around them.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:05 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,019 times
I worked on a friends house that was built in 1700's in rural Maine. I was wondering if it was worth it since it was falling down and needed everything. I asked how much land he owned "300 acres to that ridge up there"! Lets forget the house and start the drive way to that ridge.

300 acres would just about do it for me.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:47 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,570,349 times
Originally Posted by HPham06
We are thinking about moving out of Brisbane and into more of the Sunshine Coast, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
Then you have posted this is the wrong forum.
Not really. This forum is about rural/small town living, and these people want to move out of the city to a rural area. At least according to the link they provided of property they liked. This forum does not specify that it is only for the States. All are welcome . Personally I enjoyed looking at their link of the wide open spaces of Australia. Thank you.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, you just told us you are in AUSTRALIA ... so why did you post this in the CONNECTICUT forum?

Maybe this should be in the "general" HOUSE forum, since it's not really specific to Australia nor to Connecticut?
Karen, I found this thread on the Rural/small town forum, not the Ct one.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:30 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Karen, I found this thread on the Rural/small town forum, not the Ct one.
When I posted that reply back on 8/18/17 (more than six months ago), this thread was in the CT forum. It got moved by a moderator a long time ago.

(And RogerAnthony, whom you replied to a couple of posts ago, also posted back on 8/18/17, when this thread was indeed in the wrong forum. Please remember that threads get moved when the original forum isn't appropriate.)

Old 03-05-2018, 09:34 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPham06 View Post
Hi I briefly commented on another board, but I thought it would be a good idea to start my own.

As a sufferer of anxiety, my husband and I have decided to make a sea change, and move out of the city into a more rural peaceful setting.
The noise of neighbours, arguements, music, kids screaming etc is just too much for me and I need a break.

For all the rural dwellers out there, how many acres is enough for solitude. I don't intend on living on top of a mountain off the grid, but maybe in a smaller town/village.

The sound of farm machinery, birds etc, wouldn't bother me, it's mostly the selfishness of others who play loud music into the late hours, the local practicing rock band (behind my property) and the neighbours who let their dog constantly bark non stop.

Thank you in advance
I am on 2 1/2 acres... likely could be enough, but the best part is all my neighbors on all sides own 10-12 acres each, so I enjoy the privacy of theirs as well as mine. Right now, they have no plans in changing, selling etc. I'd like to own more, but this is what I ended up with...

Old 03-05-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
When I posted that reply back on 8/18/17 (more than six months ago), this thread was in the CT forum. It got moved by a moderator a long time ago.

(And RogerAnthony, whom you replied to a couple of posts ago, also posted back on 8/18/17, when this thread was indeed in the wrong forum. Please remember that threads get moved when the original forum isn't appropriate.)
I just felt bad for the Australian person being run off unceremoniously. Glad to see that the thread was moved, and that their posts are still here as I thought they were relevant to the discussion at hand, rural living.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:58 PM

30 posts, read 18,635 times
It's never just the number of acres, but the greater surroundings that count. And....where the house is set on the land.
I've got 23 acres. Much of the land is very nearly too steep to hike, but the remnants of a couple of ancient logging rods cut relatively gentle traverses up the hills. Once up there, the woods are deep and quiet, with several fast moving streams, falls and such. The trees are too dense for much of a view, but I've found the spots where you can see. And when you see, you do. Way out across the mountains.
But it's where the first owners, the folks who built the house back in 1960, set the house that gives the place its long lasting magic. At the very base of the steep hillsides, fronting a vast open meadow, in the exact middle of the property. I can't see another house and I never will be able to see another house. They are there, for sure, and I've got some good, if reserved, neighbors. But, when I want, I can pretend I don't....

Old 04-01-2018, 11:13 AM

10 posts, read 9,782 times
My last home was on 2 1/3 acres . I could see but not hear neighbors. I'm back on another property i've owned for years but left for work. I'm retired. This is 3 acres. But neighbor homes are close. For the most part it is still quiet. City living drives my crazy. I am in a small rural unincorporated community here and it is ok. The last place was 5 miles from a small town.
I could live happily on 40 acres in the middle of nowhere but at 71 I realise I need help with things I used to do for myself without thinking twice about it. My husband at 79 is not able to do so much anymore either.
Rural, yes. Far out in the middle of nowhere. Not today. Quiet and less stress? Yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living