U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 04:11 AM

30 posts, read 24,853 times

Advertisements

Hi I briefly commented on another board, but I thought it would be a good idea to start my own.

As a sufferer of anxiety, my husband and I have decided to make a sea change, and move out of the city into a more rural peaceful setting.
The noise of neighbours, arguements, music, kids screaming etc is just too much for me and I need a break.

For all the rural dwellers out there, how many acres is enough for solitude. I don't intend on living on top of a mountain off the grid, but maybe in a smaller town/village.

The sound of farm machinery, birds etc, wouldn't bother me, it's mostly the selfishness of others who play loud music into the late hours, the local practicing rock band (behind my property) and the neighbours who let their dog constantly bark non stop.

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 06:15 AM

2,791 posts, read 2,429,701 times
If you're moving from the City I would think even just a half acre would seem secluded to you. We moved from Brooklyn to CT in the 1990s. Our first home was on 1 acre and the way the property was situated, we'd see our neighbors just enough to wave at them in passing. We have since moved to a neighborhood setting (neighborhood in the sense we are off the main road (first house was on a main road) but not a neighborhood in the sense where we are any closer to our neighbors. In fact we are separated even more.) We are on 2 acres now and cannot see any neighbor from our home or yard -- just glimpses of their houses through the trees. All neighborhood interaction happens on the roads in our development where the neighborhood kids ride their bikes, where people walk their dogs, where walking groups get together etc.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:15 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,416,519 times
I'd say ten acres to really feel secluded. At five acres other houses would probably be close enough to see.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:06 AM

3,160 posts, read 8,179,029 times
I live on 2 wooded acres, can't see my neighbors, and only hear tree frogs and crickets at night this time of year. This is pretty typical for my area (Marlborough, Hebron, East Glastonbury).

Old 08-17-2017, 08:38 AM

17,201 posts, read 23,691,799 times
Had .75 acres then 1 acre, both get secluded enough for me.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:21 AM

2,971 posts, read 2,299,402 times
as many as you want, just bring your checkbook

Old 08-17-2017, 09:35 AM

15,704 posts, read 19,681,256 times
2 acres in a busy town might feel less secluded than 1 acres in a rural-ish town, surrounded by open space.

There's a lot of variables. Maybe tell us what towns you're looking at and you can get more meaningful feedback.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:49 AM

27,391 posts, read 43,319,221 times
I would say a minimum of an acre to feel that people are not on top of you. Three or more acres to begin to feel secluded. Jay

Old 08-17-2017, 10:15 AM

2,971 posts, read 2,299,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I would say a minimum of an acre to feel that people are not on top of you. Three or more acres to begin to feel secluded. Jay
A minimum of an acre, really? We have a paltry .5 acre and it doesn't feel like neighbors are on top at all. Separated by plenty of yard and trees, even here in one of the top 10 or 12 largest cities in the state on the coast. Now it certainly doesn't feel secluded either.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:08 PM

27,391 posts, read 43,319,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
A minimum of an acre, really? We have a paltry .5 acre and it doesn't feel like neighbors are on top at all. Separated by plenty of yard and trees, even here in one of the top 10 or 12 largest cities in the state on the coast. Now it certainly doesn't feel secluded either.
A half acre is nice sized but it still gets you close to neighbors with maybe 50 feet between house. I get the sense that the OP wants to be a bit more secluded than that which is why I said an acre. Our lot is 1/3 of an acre and we are definitely too close to our neighbors IMHO. But that is what DW wanted (a family neighborhood) and you know how the saying goes "Happy wife, happy life". Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or