Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 11:37 AM

23,440 posts, read 13,670,592 times

Advertisements

FIRST OF ALL, at this time on this date, may I say that I am high and dry and Okay!

Being up here in the hill country is not like being on the coast but right now, I am getting lots of rain and noisy winds.

Two days ago, filled up my camping water coolers (3) and my jerry cans (2)....to supplement my well storage system and cleared out the garage to get everything inside of it.

Yesterday, went out and got more supplies but more in the supplemental category. More coffee, more flour, more kitty litter, more cat food, more alcohol. Well, they were having a sale on the last item. I think I have all the "components" to bring my diesel generator on line should it come to it. I'm still not ready to bring it on line but hopefully, in the next 30 days (which is about the max time diesel should sit around in a jerry can); and if needed more urgently, well if not neighbors who know how to do, then page by page (read first page by page) instructions.

I was slightly nervous about what people might think as I filled that diesel jerry can and then placing it in the far rear of the Forester......but then I saw others doing the exact same thing at my last chance gas station. Well, almost, for their cans were red and mine was yellow. Some, however, may not be as color coded as I am so beware. Red for gasoline, yellow for diesel, and for those traditionalists, a white cross on a jerry can means water.

I made the decision to use the Forester for my trip into town yesterday for two reasons. First of all, the Forester is more economical in gas usage and if by chance, the gas stations in town were like those in Houston, then that would be the car to use. Secondly, the pick up is filled with a lot of cargo right now, from recycling to what I had to do to open up the garage.

Of course, the F 250 has a higher clearance than the Forester but given what any running water across a road is, that is perhaps a moot point.

Other little things such as that right now, I am cooking using the frozen fish and not the canned fish. It is more of a mind set than an actual situation but if the actual situation did occur (and the generator was not on line, hence no power to the freezers), then that will be the time to start using the canned stuff.

Other little notes about this NW location to the storm. Wally World seemed cleaned out of flash lights. Lowe's was cleaned out of square batteries and the related flash lights and it looked like the gas cans were going like hot cakes ALTHOUGH something I learned during the last hurricane scare for inland was that siphoning gas from cars means it comes through a pea shooter. Apparently that's the counter siphon measure that was built in.....so they say.

SO, WHAT ARE YOUR NOTES, SUGGESTIONS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 01:41 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,545,623 times
Tamara, I'm not a diesel generator guru, but I remember reading in the prep forums that you're supposed to run your generator under a load at least once a month or it may not work when you need it. I suggest reading your owner's manual and/or doing more research about that.

I'm sure you know to run the generator in a well-ventilated area, not a closed garage. Also, shut off the house power if you are hooking a generator into the system. I'm assuming that you aren't -- you're using it as stand-alone power.

Also, I've kept diesel fuel stored in my garage for five years, and it was fine.

I have been without power for a week or longer due to storms. This is my brief list:

Before the storm:

- Inventory the emergency supplies and pantry - refill as needed (Including water)
- Catch up the laundry
- Catch up the housework
- Catch up bodywork (shave legs, good shampoo, etc)
- Walk around outside: secure furniture, trim loose branches as needed, etc
- Check on elderly, the infirm, others who may need help
- Check and clean any weapons (if part of your lifestyle)
- Check the first aid kit - re-supply as necessary

During the storm:

- Monitor an accurate weather source - disregard weather outlets that hype storms for ratings

After the storm:

- Check your property
- Check on elderly neighbors (or those at risk) if you can do so safely
- Think. Think. Think. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Be careful about accidents. Emergencies may not be easy to fix, so try not to have any.

Good luck! It sounds like you are far enough away that there won't be immediate problems, but beware of people who have been forced inland who may not be as nice as you (that's why you may want to keep your weapons at hand and your driveway gate closed, if you have one).

Old 08-26-2017, 01:53 PM

PS - I had a generator but because I was in the city, I decided that it would attract too much notice, so I gave it to a friend who was more rural. I went with solar panels for back-up and only planned on powering a small radio, hand-held TV, and a flip phone. Later, I got a deep cycle marine battery that I kept trickled charged with a solar panel (Harbor Freight Items).

I was able to scrounge ice for cooling, but I pretty much ate up the fresh meat and went with canned food and stuff that didn't need to be kept cold. Eggs do not need to be in the fridge! Plus I hard boiled those.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:55 PM

1,809 posts, read 1,397,117 times
Throughout the year, we keep certain stocks topped off, like vehicle fuel tanks, batteries, generator fuel, charcoal, propane, oil lamp oil and wicks, potable water, toilet paper, 10 pound bag of baking soda, couple gallons of vinegar, canned goods, and bread making ingredients. That way, we do not have to run to stores or gas stations along with the panicked hoards.

Should we lose power, our generator will be used to power the fridge and freezers. We can cook on the charcoal and/or propane grills, or make a campfire with the firewood.

We collect rainwater for the garden and can use that for us if needed. We have a swimming pool we can draw from for toilet and bathing water.

The baking soda is a cleaning agent, both wet and dry, for bodies and stuff. Vinegar is also a cleaning agent.

Just before a storm, we secure everything outside that could go flying. We mow around the house (so the rain can percolate faster), make sure the concrete drains around the garage are free flowing to drain it away from structures, shovel any built-up dirt away from the south porch to keep water from pooling up on it, and clean the rain gutters, if necessary. Then we sit down and watch the show.

This process has kept us going through a number of hurricanes/tropical storms when we were stationed in Virginia and other places. It's worked just fine here in the Hill Country, too. We live on a hillside, so flooding is not an issue.

Being prepared keeps us well away from the insanity.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:02 PM

I know, alas, about the monthly running; just haven't been able to do it since a recall item was required to do first.

I do have a weather short wave radio.

The generator "system" can be stand alone but the house is designed for it to plug into it. There is a main circuit box and then there is a generator circuit box. Another item to work out to bring the system into play. Right now, I couldn't do it anyhow since it is not a foul weather generator.....would need to a dinner fly or something over it.

Thank you.

Keep the tips coming in!

Old 08-26-2017, 02:48 PM

10,045 posts, read 6,313,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
Throughout the year, we keep certain stocks topped off, like vehicle fuel tanks, batteries, generator fuel, charcoal, propane, oil lamp oil and wicks, potable water, toilet paper, 10 pound bag of baking soda, couple gallons of vinegar, canned goods, and bread making ingredients. That way, we do not have to run to stores or gas stations along with the panicked hoards.

Should we lose power, our generator will be used to power the fridge and freezers. We can cook on the charcoal and/or propane grills, or make a campfire with the firewood.

We collect rainwater for the garden and can use that for us if needed. We have a swimming pool we can draw from for toilet and bathing water.

The baking soda is a cleaning agent, both wet and dry, for bodies and stuff. Vinegar is also a cleaning agent.

Just before a storm, we secure everything outside that could go flying. We mow around the house (so the rain can percolate faster), make sure the concrete drains around the garage are free flowing to drain it away from structures, shovel any built-up dirt away from the south porch to keep water from pooling up on it, and clean the rain gutters, if necessary. Then we sit down and watch the show.

This process has kept us going through a number of hurricanes/tropical storms when we were stationed in Virginia and other places. It's worked just fine here in the Hill Country, too. We live on a hillside, so flooding is not an issue.

Being prepared keeps us well away from the insanity.
I agree with all of the above, although I don't have a swimming pool to utilize for back-up water. I've been through a hurricane here in VA when we didn't have power for 6 days and made it OK. I made the choice to have propane hot water and cooking as well as a whole house generator, but if the propane should get too low I can always turn it off so I still have hot water and can cook. However, the generator also runs all my sump pumps, so that's pretty critical too. Fortunately the county has always made sure that the water keeps flowing even though the power goes out, for which I am thankful. Since I have 4 pets, it's easier to shelter in place than try and evacuate out of the area.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:29 PM

8,604 posts, read 4,433,148 times
Quote:
Also, I've kept diesel fuel stored in my garage for five years, and it was fine.
Diesel should keep, easily, for over two years. Five years is pushing it, but you aren't the first to say they have done that and it was fine. I just recommend getting some fresh diesel on an annual basis to be sure.
Having a can "1" to fill on a particular month of odd numbered years, and a can "2" to fill on a particular month of even numbered years is one method. Use the oldest can of diesel for the monthly runs.

Anyone who has any generator of any kind needs to test it from time to time. Any machine that runs on a petroleum product needs care and maintenance, so knowing its needs, and a scheduled couple of hours, once a month, or even once a quarter, goes a long ways towards having a generator that isn't a door stop when needed.

(My guess is that for most of the people reading this thread, I am preaching to the choir, but there are always people reading this forum who are new to this.)

Old 08-26-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Diesel should keep, easily, for over two years. Five years is pushing it, but you aren't the first to say they have done that and it was fine.
I didn't mean to keep it that long, but that container worked its way to the back of the garage. I date them, so I know it was five years old. It was well sealed: no water got into it.

Condensation is the big problem with storing any fuel.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:23 PM

8,604 posts, read 4,433,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
... It was well sealed: no water got into it.
Condensation is the big problem with storing any fuel.
I concur, keeping all petroleum fuels sealed air tight is a must, today.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:43 PM

One of the things I need to add to my list of things to get is a "P-250", a dewatering pump. This weekend, I don't think I will need one and probably for other times to come. But between sand bags and a back hoe, ie http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qWxh7ra16N...ith+a+moat.jpg ,

if I am ever looking for something to spend money one, we-ll........................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living