Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 02:52 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times

Advertisements

Maybe your small town doesn't like artsy but to claim small towns across the USA don't is ignorant. Sorry but it is, and either you have not lived in many towns or traveled very much .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 10:40 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I live in a small town on a 3 1/2 sq. mile island; about 1300 people. When you come into downtown you hit 4 art galleries (all owner occupied) selling their wares when you turn the corner. If you go further down you can find half a dozen more and another in the plans. They do fine even though there's just so much "art" locals can or will buy. So the "artists" sell on the inter-webs and do a pretty good trade. Pays the taxes (not cheap here I can tell you) and keeps them in fine wine and ascots. Not sure what's wrong with your area or why you don't bail the heck out, for that matter. * years and you don't like it? Even the Titanic passengers know enough to try to abandon ship. You must simply like the aggravation in you life.
Do you take a Ferry to get onto said Island or do you have a bridge?

Old 09-18-2017, 11:09 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Do you take a Ferry to get onto said Island or do you have a bridge?
There are two causeways coming into town. One to Carlow's Island and then to Moose Island; all in the same town.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:04 PM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
Quote:
There are two causeways coming into town. One to Carlow's Island and then to Moose Island; all in the same town.

Excellent, sounds like a great place to live. I asked because I experienced a similar destination, a community on an Island between the US and Canada. No bridge across so it's a Ferry Ride, which keeps the riff-raff away for the most part. It's population doubles in Summer and the place has more of an Artsy flavor along with the tourist gimmicks.

Only real downfall is the isolation when the river freezes over and the Coast Guard can't clear the channel well enough for the Ferry. Worse in break-up time.

It's like stepping back in time there yet it's only an hour commute from Detroit.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:24 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
I too disagree with the OP. He must've picked the wrong place to live. My town of 5000 supports two live theater venues and numerous arts and crafts fairs. Farther afield You find the same situation in towns of 2000 or less.

It depends a lot on where you live. In my small town part of CA a weekend doesn't pass without some kind of music or art festival in the tricounty area.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:48 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
back in 2008 I left an urban area to live in a small rural town, I posted all the good points in 2013 and planned on posting the negatives a month later ,its hard to believe its been 4 years.
This week the arts.
Trying to keep an arts league in a small rural town is like trying to start a good snowball fight in the sahara desert, as I mentioned in my previous posts, small town usa doesnt like anything that is artsy or creative, its considered big city and anything big city is bad.Even so there is a small dedicated arts league that is trying to flourish , they have an annual art exhibit, and not surprisingly, only the artists show up, hell anywhere else people show up just for all the free food and liquor but oh no not there, there a few sales but its only to other artists,it is also very hard to get new members, anybody creative leaves for the big city and the grim reaper takes another member every year, its down to well under half just since Ive been here.We are just like the dance band on the titanic, we just keep playing while the ship sinks.

added extra: this has nothing to do with todays post but I have to talk about it , one of the handles in the local convenience store has been loose ever since Ive been here (8 years), everytime I go for it I feels like its going to come off in my hand, well Im happy report a few days a team of experts were there to assess the situation(pronounced sitch-e-a-tion)
, and Im happy to report we have a new brushed aluminium handle for our little kwiky-mart.Gee and it only took at least 8 years!!!!
How sad for you to keep harping on anything and everything you seem to go out of your way to find negative. You really need to get another life somewhere else instead of wallowing in hatred and self pity about where you live.
I wish my only problem in life was a loose door handle at the local convenience store.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:04 AM

45,328 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
How sad for you to keep harping on anything and everything you seem to go out of your way to find negative. You really need to get another life somewhere else instead of wallowing in hatred and self pity about where you live.
I wish my only problem in life was a loose door handle at the local convenience store.
It was also important to make fun of the pronunciation of situation, don't forget that. It's an indicator of the OP's superiority. I hope he corrected the speakers, that would make him even more popular than he likely already is.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:16 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
Has anyone noticed that in all these threads the OP has only made the original posting? Never any replies. Just an observation.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:51 PM

45,328 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Has anyone noticed that in all these threads the OP has only made the original posting? Never any replies. Just an observation.
Yeah. Must not know the Most Engaging Poster contest is over.

Or he's tired of being told he's an effete elitist who should move to somewhere he'll be happy.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:38 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Agreed. The OP should move to a city where her elitist negativity is more welcome. Part 6? This is sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living