U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-08-2009, 05:32 PM

549 posts, read 904,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee77 View Post
BrokenTap

I would LOVE to homeschool, but I thought that as a single mom that was not possible. Maybe I need to revisit that dream?

I hear everybody's point about jobs availabilities, but I am am optimistic and I think that if I look carefully enough I might find a small town whith enough odd jobs to go around, make a living, be happy and be close to my kid.

I think I need to find a town that is 1 hour from a souce of "traditional" employment. That way I can taste the area, know the neighbors and identify sources of income while I keep a job...

In the meantime I work on simplifying my city living and my expense habits. I hear it loud and clear that I need to be debt free before I go country. So I have a year to plan this out while I pay everything back.

So, what are other steps I can take? Ideas?
I don't know how this will work in a very rural setting, but what has always been a wonderful experience and opportunity for me is running a home daycare/preschool. I have 4 kids, so I save so much money not having to pay for childcare! I am also considering pulling my son from elementary school and home schooling him next year. It sounds scary right now, but I'm sure I could do a better job than the school here.

Just an idea for you! Sounds like you are on a great path. Congratulations! I can only dream of living a simple life in a small town.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 08:07 PM

163 posts, read 25,853 times
I don't know about the daycare, but as for homeschooling. Go for it! Then if your child doesn't learn, you have no one to blame but yourself!

As for the OP, besides milking cows I teach school, pastor a church, weave rugs, repair sewing machines, cane chairs, weave baskets, and make brooms. We also sell eggs, chickens, ducks, geese, and fruit and produce in season.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:55 AM

549 posts, read 904,305 times
Plowman, you sure would be handy to have around! Awesome!

I am looking into homeschooling for next year. If I do choose to do it, I want to know everything about it first before I decide it is right for my son. He doesn't learn the way other kids learn and has difficulty at school. The school provides speech and ot services for him, which is something he needs. Anyway, I won't get into all the details, but this is something I'm researching. Thank you for the encouragement.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:11 AM

163 posts, read 25,853 times
Hang in there! You'll never be sorry.. God gave the kid to you, not the state.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:51 AM

272 posts, read 48,672 times
I have bachelors in Business and Psychology and AAS in computer networking. I lived in a very rural area of the upper midwest for most of my working life(the last 25 years). I managed quick lubes, wrote service in dealerships and repair shops, Machinist and drove a bus(rural transportation). When my wife got her accounting degree a few years ago she landed a job with the federal government in a medium large city in the midwest. Luckily the facility in which I now also work is on the extreme east side so we looked for property in the county to the east which is very rural. We now kind of have the best of both worlds with large city opportunities and country living with only a 30 minute commute through the countryside to get tow work. Its made the transition a great experience.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:33 PM

21,198 posts, read 16,456,661 times
About daycare. A dear friend of mine just tried that. She did a great job. She is now hurt and broken hearted. People just would not pay their bills. She had to close.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:41 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,475,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerUser000 View Post
My user name is self explanitory as to what my job is!

I've worked in The Northwest Mississippi Delta, the coast of East Central florida, Northwest North Dakota, the Seacoast of New Hampshire and semi rural Western South Carolina.

I usually end up living in a town where my job is right in town, and within walking distance of where I live.

The jobs I usually go for are in smaller townsplaces where they won't have a huge chocie of candidates to chose from and the concern is more.. "Can you get the job done?" then your educaiton. I was never ONCE asked about my educaiton in any of the 5 places I've worked. (I didn't go to college and.. Im not proud to admit it, but I didn't even finish high school)

My salary is generally around $20,000 a year. Sometimes a tad bit less because of extremely low cost of living, sometimes higher due to cost of living. Also, yearly salary in my industry depends alot on what your responsibilities are, if you're management or not. In bigger towns, even if youre not management.. your salary can run around $25,000 or so.

What I look for in a town.. is a safe, clean and low crime town with low cost of living and the land has beauty/history to it. Give me a decent place to buy food and basic needs stuff(clothes, etc) along with decent phone/tv/internet services in town and Im a happy camper.

If you wanna check out a little more about what I do, my website address and email address are in my profile.. just click my user name and click View Public profile.

keep in mind, that when I say this.. I'm a single car with no wife, girlfriend or kids and I don't drive.. it's just me and my dog. Oh, and if you're wondering.. I do ALOT of walking and riding on my mountain bike! (I need the exercise anyways, so it all works out!!)

Paul

This is an interesting lifestyle. Do you find the jobs first or find the town and then start looking for work? If you move without a job, how do you get a rental without a steady income at first?

Old 12-16-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Maybe, but it does not happen here and that is the point.
Where are you located?

Old 12-16-2009, 05:46 PM

943 posts, read 2,317,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
This is an interesting lifestyle. Do you find the jobs first or find the town and then start looking for work? If you move without a job, how do you get a rental without a steady income at first?
My screen name got changed since I made that post.. Im a radio broadcaster/on air personality.

I always find the jobs first, since I look in places where there's usually only one or two stations.. once I have a committment of some kind from the radio station, I have them help me find a place.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerUser000 View Post
My screen name got changed since I made that post.. Im a radio broadcaster/on air personality.

I always find the jobs first, since I look in places where there's usually only one or two stations.. once I have a committment of some kind from the radio station, I have them help me find a place.
That makes sense. It's risky to move to a place and hope for a job, even if the cost of living is relatively low. Sounds like you have a workable plan for living in smaller towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living