Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 05:25 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,545 times

Advertisements

This weekend we were up working on our new place to live, and take our travel trailer to live in as we start to finish out some living space in our 'pole barn'. The last couple of times we were here, we noticed a lot of turkey tracks around the yard. The excavation took off the topsoil for the barn pad, and the driveway and left a lot of sand which has only been partly topped with gravel. Apparently they come up to take sand baths- which are comical to watch. Yesterday morning, we woke surrounded by a big male, tail all fanned out, and about 6 large hens, all standing outside the trailer a peering into the windows! It was actually funny, and when we started laughing, they apparently got insulted, and walked off.

An hour later, as I was outside dumping some sweepings out of the barn, I encountered a juvenile snake. Due to its markings, I didn't try to pick it up, but instead, let it crawl into a clean paint-roller tray to photograph it prior to releasing it in the lower meadow. I thought it was a Massasauga rattler, but after getting back to an internet connection, identified it as an Eastern Fox Snake. Really pretty.

I love this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 10:22 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I'm envious of everyone living rural. I hope to move out of this area, DC, in a year. Lived in Vt for 5 yrs and loved it.

Love the photos too. Thanks!

Old 10-04-2017, 02:34 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Again I'm loving the positive posts about life in the sticks.

I can equate to the above post about everything closing on a Sunday. It's the same in the majority of France outside of the major cities. I say everything, but that doesn't necessarily go for restaurants, some of which stay open and are magnets.

What's very noticeable here and elsewhere in rural France is that many places shut down for an hour, two hours or even longer around lunchtime during the working week.

They seem to take their lunch break very seriously and cafes and restaurants can get quite busy.

Here with another shot taken on the way to the supermarket. Not the best photo I've ever taken, but a lovely subject. This chateau can be seen from the car park of the shop- pretty nice!

Attachment 190795
I think this is a French cultural thing, hope you can learn to like it and take advantage of it!

Old 10-04-2017, 09:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
The closest I have found is in Western Washington... 17 acres of forest and salmon stream with salt water frontage and it might as well be in the middle of nowhere... peaceful, bug free and serene yet about 10 minutes to the State Capital...

About the only time the calm is broken is when a neighbor has his brother drop by in a float plane when he drops in from Alaska a couple of times each year... which is fun in and of itself.

The only downside was taking years and about 15k to get fiber to the property but it did happen through persistence...

Old 10-05-2017, 01:06 AM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I think this is a French cultural thing, hope you can learn to like it and take advantage of it!
It's interesting how things go even quieter around midday and stays pretty quiet for around a couple of hours.

We rarely eat out lunchtime, though we do on a Sunday from time to time. However we make sure that we're not disturbing the peace and quiet around that time by using power tools outside, or the ride on mower.

One notable occasion was when we were house-hunting last year. We had told our immoblier- estate agent- realtor- that we would get her a meal sometime. We went to an unassuming, though pretty, inn one midweek lunchtime, turning up just after midday. It was in a small village about five miles out of a larger, though still small, town.

We were led through two rooms which had many benches set up for lunch, into a third room where we ended up eating together with maybe eight people at various smaller tables.

It turned out to be a multi course meal- no choices; soup, salad, fish, meat, cheese, dessert- all separate and all good and plentiful. Included in the price was all the wine you could want- they would replace the bottle if it got emptied, though none of us was drinking.

Cost? 13 Euros a head! That's around $15 each!

When we left, those empty benches were full of people, maybe sixty or more people all enjoying lunch. I don't know where they came from as there weren't too many cars outside.

This restaurant does have a very good reputation locally, with good reason.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:17 PM

812 posts, read 795,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Many thanks for all the posts about what you like out in the sticks.

This morning we made the 30 mile round trip to the supermarket. The route is along back roads that are very quiet, with gorgeous views. Compared to our equivalent journey in the UK which got busy at times it is sheer bliss.

I attach a picture that either I or Mrs J took (as a passenger!) took through the windshield on a journey back in early May;

Attachment 190739
Very pretty countryside! Here is a picture from around my neck of the woods (scrub).
Attached Thumbnails
It's Great Out Here In The Sticks.-view.jpg  

Old 10-07-2017, 01:21 PM

812 posts, read 795,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
A small part of what I see from my bedroom window and I like it this way.

Attachment 190723

We've been told we should have a radio playing the music from Deliverance while coming up our barely 1-1/2 lane, wooded road. People have turned around and gone back to town before they found our farm --- we like that too
Very pretty and peaceful scene! Is that your horse?

Old 10-09-2017, 11:25 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The only downside was taking years and about 15k to get fiber to the property but it did happen through persistence...

Fiber is Priceless - both in Data and Dietary.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:42 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
Very pretty and peaceful scene! Is that your horse?
Thank you

Yes --- that horse is 23 and has been with me since he was two. He has moved clear across the U.S. With me twice. He thinks he could drive the truck if I Would give him the keys, lollol

My other horse is 22, very passive and won't stand up for himself with the one in the picture, so I keep them separated. They meet up at the fence rows and in the barn but, if I keep them in the same pasture, this guy would spend most of his time bullying the other one.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:02 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
I live on a lake near Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario. I have a little over an acre with a number of mature trees and much of the surrounding area is heavily forested. My nearest neighbours on either side are seasonal residents, so it gets VERY quiet in winter. A town of 3800, with all the amenities I need, is about 25 kilometers away.

I feed many varieties of birds and a few critters daily, including a fox and a few deer in winter and wouldn't dream of living anywhere else. I have a large expanse of night sky to admire and the calls of loons to keep me company until the ice forms. My profile pic shows my "front yard."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living