U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 10:53 AM

208 posts, read 789,629 times

Advertisements

In the country-learn to shoot dogs if you are close enough to the city to be a favorite "dump" spot,they band up and become wild packs that pull down livestock and threaten children at lonely bus stops. Moderator cut: cut text

Last edited by Beretta; 03-17-2008 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: cut text to make new thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 11:42 AM

24,841 posts, read 32,920,063 times
Shoot dogs???? I do not care if they were dumped. That is animal cruelty in Michigan. I do call animal control, or just take the stray to a proper shelter. Then I make a donation.

Last edited by Beretta; 03-17-2008 at 05:16 PM..

Old 03-17-2008, 09:34 AM

Default shoot dogs

Driller1,I guess you have never had the problem.When I lived in Mo.,we lived close to a large,private shelter.The good folks of the big city use to drive out without checking shelter hours,and chuck Fido in a field if they couldn't get him into the shelter.Animal cruelty is when a pack of dogs has run a herd of sheep for hours,ripping at them,running them into bobwire or killing them from exhaustion.I walked up to my favorite goat to find it laying quietly on the ground looking at two big german shepards,it took a few minutes to figure out they had hamstrung it,I couldn't see the damage because it was laying on its back quarter.Dogs killed the 1st colt on the farm,there were too many of them for the mare to fight off.When you realize every little kid at the bus stop is carrying some kind of a club because they can see the dogs and the dogs can see them-you sit at the stop with a carfull of neighbor kids and a rifle.When dogs pack up,their personality changes.Animal cruelty is the person who dumped them on a gravel road without a house in sight so they would have no witnesses.Animal control in the country doesn't do dog packs.The dog pack itself kills the little dogs and you are left with the big,strong dogs.You don't see shih-tzu's running in the pack,you see pit bulls,rotties,labs and hunting dogs abandoned by pissed off hunters-they don't come back to find dogs they lost on land they were hunting illegally on.Sorry,I can get on a rant about dog packs-people just don/t realize what it is like to run into six Cujo's getting ready to kill your livestock or housepet 20 foot outside your back door or in a lonely pasture.One lone border collie will die outright or of it's wounds when fighting off 5 or 6 dogs.There are so many good dogs that need homes,I can't see rehabilitating a now feral dog-if you could catch them without shooting them.Some dumped dogs will make their way to your house without joining a pack,those can go to a shelter.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:58 AM

24,841 posts, read 32,920,063 times
I do agree the one who dumps the dogs are responsible. I am from a completely different area. Is shooting the dogs legal?

Old 03-17-2008, 01:21 PM

Default yes and no

I am sorry for ranting.I called the town sherriff on the goat-he said he knew who owned the shepards,they denied that the dogs were out of the yard,my word against theirs.If I had shot the shepards at the time as stock killers I would have been covered but he would have arrested me for discharging a gun in city limits (lived in small,rural town).When I had the farm,you shot them and dumped them quietly unless you had an insurance claim-shooting an animal that is threatening you or killing livestock was legal.I love the country, dog packs and deliberate trespassers are the worst of it to me, walking out the door in a nightgown with a cup of coffee to set the hens free and not worrying about neighbors is part of the best of it. I still have country habits,I try to go to the grocery store once a month but it always winds up to be twice-George always needs one thing in town,so I'll go again The country eases some people's stress,drives other people right up the wall.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:16 AM

41,490 posts, read 52,163,861 times
Nocoldiron - a pump type or air cylinder powered .22 cal pellet gun can discourage a dog without making enough noise to wake up the neighbors. An air gun is not a firearm so the no shooting firearms in town generally does not apply.

A shotgun with #4 or #6 shot will also discourage dogs. The pellets are big enough to get through their fur but, unless you are really close (10 ft or so), not big enough to kill the things. Wounded dogs tell the rest that this is a dangerous place and they hunt somewhere else.

Most folks do not know just how different a pack of dogs behaves compared to a single dog. A single dog can generally be intimidated. A pack of dogs feed courage to each other and will attack most anything. They must be taught to never hunt humans.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:19 AM

17,098 posts, read 22,635,933 times
.22 CB caps are very quiet as well.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:54 AM

Default pets people want to dump on you

Some people think I am crazy-internet search feral dog pack or dog predatation. I had a friend who had dog killing horses-locals begged her to let them run with their cattle.The farm dog got them in by letting them chase him into the barn and escaping out a hole in the back I just love a smart stock dog!! As a child in the city,I saw my babysitter BB a basset hound getting into the garbage,he turned just as she shot and hit him in the eye.I'm sorry to say,I don't shoot unless it is to kill. The weird things that come up in the country-you get enough land to not see people and you still have confrontations.I suggest everybody get their barn cats from the local humane society program to catch,spay,and release feral cats.These cats don't want to live in your house-they'll keep the barn clear of vermin and are smart enough to stay out of the coyote's jaws.Just feed and water and provide for them. Oklahoma has some interesting laws on turning domestic pigs loose-don't do it!! Feral pigs are scary too.Boy, am I glad the pot belly pig craze is over!! People think because you have land and a barn,you want to keep that pig for the rest of it's life and that you will be thrilled to take those Easter chicks and ducks.Where are their heads at?

Old 03-18-2008, 11:34 AM

41,490 posts, read 52,163,861 times
Some place where they cannot see the sky.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:05 PM

452 posts, read 1,548,321 times
Dogs running in packs can never be pretty. When county authorities are the ones with their heads in the wrong place, we all suffer.

It IS illegal, to shoot a dog, especially a hunting dog, in our area, unless the dog in question is vicious, etc. We have a case in the news now where an owner lets her large dogs out to do as they please and they end up running an entire neighborhood; pets have been mutilated and killed and people aren't free to step out into their own yards. I haven't heard lately but one can only hope the proper authorities get off their duffs and do something RIGHT for a change.

We have several associations that do rescue but they get full so fast in the spring, there's no other choice than euthanasia...even with newborn kittens. And for that, you have to pay if you live in the county. We feel like the wicked stepmother wants us all to just go away.

People are the problem. If we could spay and neuter the people who refuse to do the right thing, I know I'd feel better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living