Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 05:15 PM

6,293 posts, read 4,187,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
I would love to live in a small town, but I feel I'm too weird to be accepted. I like solitude a great deal, but there are times when I like to socialize. I just don't know if it would be a good fit for me. A big city would probably work better for my type of person. Whereas judgmental people are everywhere, there could be problems with the locals who just don't like you if you stand out too much. I know its probably case by case, but still you never know until you move there. Also if you're not native to some locals you can just fagitaboutit!

Depends what small town you go to though, there are towns that embrace people who stand out and others that don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 05:31 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,124,108 times
Quote:
I would love to live in a small town, but I feel I'm too weird to be accepted. I like solitude a great deal, but there are times when I like to socialize. I just don't know if it would be a good fit for me. A big city would probably work better for my type of person. Whereas judgmental people are everywhere, there could be problems with the locals who just don't like you if you stand out too much. I know its probably case by case, but still you never know until you move there. Also if you're not native to some locals you can just fagitaboutit!
That's true, there are many limited thinking individuals living in small towns, it's not all sweetness and neither is the city. Some people in small towns won't accept you unless you're there 20 years. Likewise, cities can be cold and unfriendly.

Most of the people posting here have found their niches and good for them. I suspect the reason the OP is still living in a place he dislikes, is the mention in this thread of how long it takes to sell a house.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:19 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,016,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Depends what small town you go to though, there are towns that embrace people who stand out and others that don't.
Unfortunately the small towns I experienced do not embrace much, if at all. I don't see any Mayberry-like places around anymore.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:32 PM

497 posts, read 483,873 times
I've gone through three of the OP's small town threads, and the only posts are the ones that started the thread. Never a reply, just whining. Like other people have said, "If you don't like it move back to the city". I'm surprised that a mod hasn't shut down this nonsense after eight separate threads on the same topic...

Old 11-13-2017, 04:45 PM

6,293 posts, read 4,187,366 times
Quote:
Unfortunately the small towns I experienced do not embrace much, if at all. I don't see any Mayberry-like places around anymore.

Not talking about idealized Mayberry. This is a big country with just about every type of town out there.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:41 PM

30,472 posts, read 16,182,476 times
Quote:
reality check: there never was any Mayberry-like places, except on tv.

I think one quality it takes to live in a small town is a sense of independence.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:55 AM

6,124 posts, read 4,490,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
back in 2008 I left an urban area to live in a small rural town, I posted all the good points in 2013 and planned on posting the negatives a month later ,its hard to believe its been 4 years.

small rural towns:
If you are from a large city like NYC a small city maybe 50k to you but in rural america an entire county may only have 20k. a small rural town may have 400 a typical size may have 1500 and a super metropolis is 5k or above.Of course, when towns are this small they really cant support much business.Typical businesses include a greasy diner, and I really do mean greasy, a gun shop(of course),extra gold star if your town has two.A resale shop, your usual assortment of realtors(considering it can take years to sell just one house if it sells at all I cant image how these guys stay in business), a lawyer here and there(you cant escape lawyers)a laundromat,hardware store, barber shop and plenty of bars, if they ever have stumbling home drunk as an olympic event these rural folks would win the gold.One of my favorite places is one of the banks here ,they havent remodeled it since it opened up in the early 60's. I dont do any banking there but I love walking in there,I feel like Im on the set from the old dick van dyke show, I always thought the guys working there should wear skinny ties and all the females there should have the MTM hairdo and wear capri pants.0-0-h, r-0-0-b!!

Towns here try to bring in tourists with food fairs, but once you've seen one you've seen them all,a lot of craft junk a few local bands who arent very good and food that has a lot to be desired. At the last one I paid $8 for a philly cheese sandwich that I swear was made from shredded sneakers and $5 for a bag of home made taffy that less flavor that the wax paper it was wrapped in.The town next door has a wine and arts festival but as a friend says its more of a 'who can get sloppy drunk the fastest', these are not 'art' people.These towns try but dont understand a lot about attracting tourists. one town here has some type of oil musuem,( oil was found here over 100 years ago),but its closed, so now you have to go all over town to find someone who knows someone who can open it up, do they really think people are going to waste hours to do that???South of me there is a large antique center, there is even a big highway sign for it, I went but its just 3 small tool sheds filled with made in china trinkets!!!Other towns have their assortment of antique malls,but they are all closed on sunday, a typical day people like to go out and bum around places like this.Another problem is many of the older generation are very suspicious of any outsiders.Nobody is going to drive for hours and then be looked at like you're here to blow the place up.And for godsake dont walk around with a camera!!!
One thing that surprises me the most is that people just stay inside their homes, even on a nice sunny day in the summer you rarely see anybody outside, maybe a kid on a bike, maybe someone mowing their lawn but usually you can walk from one end of town to the other and rarely see anybody, in fact after 8 years I can walk down any street point to any house and probably couldnt name you who lives there.
They sold you a house, right?

Old 11-19-2017, 09:07 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,744,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
reality check: there never was any Mayberry-like places, except on tv.
You are wrong about that. Both my husband and I grew up in Mayberry-like towns. We still live in the one I grew up in (his was just down the road and we lived there early in our marriage and I lived there for a while myself as a child).

Both places are still fairly Mayberry-ish to this day.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:02 PM

272 posts, read 270,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
They sold you a house, right?

Do you really think this person is a homeowner? Subtle mentions of art seem to be a recurring theme in this person's posts which leads me to believe they may be an art aficionado. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that all artists are poor, but if I were a betting man, I'd put money on the OP being either a freeloader living with someone else or a renter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living