Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Vehicle Code allow nose in parking to save space?
No 26 50.00%
Yes 7 13.46%
Petition city traffic code enforcement or congressman 5 9.62%
Do nothing 14 26.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 10:12 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,688,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Why is it frustrating?
Have you even read all of the thread? I think this has been answered many times over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Bird feeder...I'm telling you.
That is a funny idea, and it would stop some people but you know, there are some people (like the neighbors who were rutting up my yard) who just wouldn't even care if their vehicle was covered in bird poop. There are just some people that crappy, pun intended.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:19 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,261,475 times
Solution:
-Buy more rural acreage.

I'm glad I don't live in a neighborhood with on street parking as I would personally tow/push my neighbors vehicle out of the front of my house and right into their front yard. I get that it's legal, but it would make me livid, especially if there was space in front of their house. It's best for everyone that I just stay in the woods .

Old 11-20-2017, 11:47 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,708,417 times
If your neighbor routinely parks in front of your house when there is open parking in front of their own, and speaking to them doesn't help, why wouldn't you just park in front of their house, or instruct your guests to? If they complain you offer a trade.

All of the houses in my neighborhood have driveways but there are no sidewalks or curbs. Our yards just go right up to the road, and the roads are rather narrow. You pretty much have to park half on the yard and half on the road if you want to leave enough room for two way traffic. If you're parking in front of someone's house in this neighborhood it means you're either blocking traffic or parking partially on someone else's lawn. In either case, that's rude at best. We are all nice enough to each other that our guests can park in front of each other's houses without issue but nobody seems to do it unless they are having a party and they run out of room in front of their own house. It would be rather nitpicky to complain if someone did this occasionally but if it were a daily thing, and there was room in front of their own house, I could see it being an issue.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:09 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,000,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Have you even read all of the thread? I think this has been answered many times over.
Yes, and I don't see an answer unless someone is actually blocking your driveway or something, which was not mentioned in the OP or in the post which I specifically replied to. If that *is* the case, then you have legal recourse and this whole thread is moot. I, personally, can't even begin to imagine being frustrated simply because a person parks their car in front of my house on a public street, even if they *could* park someplace else etc etc... and I'm asking someone who says it's frustrating simply to have somebody parked there to explain why they, personally, find it so.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:17 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,014,407 times
Quote:
Yes, and I don't see an answer unless someone is actually blocking your driveway or something, which was not mentioned in the OP or in the post which I specifically replied to. If that *is* the case, then you have legal recourse and this whole thread is moot. I, personally, can't even begin to imagine being frustrated simply because a person parks their car in front of my house on a public street, even if they *could* park someplace else etc etc... and I'm asking someone who says it's frustrating simply to have somebody parked there to explain why they, personally, find it so.
Why would someone want to have their view blocked and have to look at their neighbor's ugly truck that he parks in front of their house because he would rather not look at his own ugly truck?

In my case, why would I want my visitors, some elderly and/or disabled, to have to walk further from down the block or across the street instead of being able to park directly in front of my house, utilizing the walkway I paid to add to the grass strip between the sidewalk and the road, instead of having to walk further and through the grass instead of on a nice walkway.

Yes, it's a public street and no one owns the parking in front of their house. But if it's no big deal to have cars parked in front of your house, why shouldn't it be no big deal for the people whose cars they are to have them parked in front of their own house?

And yes, this has been explained more than once in this thread. You may not agree but stop pretending that people haven't explained why they find it annoying.

Last edited by emm74; 11-20-2017 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-20-2017, 12:47 PM

15,085 posts, read 7,124,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Solution:
-Buy more rural acreage.

I'm glad I don't live in a neighborhood with on street parking as I would personally tow/push my neighbors vehicle out of the front of my house and right into their front yard. I get that it's legal, but it would make me livid, especially if there was space in front of their house. It's best for everyone that I just stay in the woods .
That would get you arrested here, or your car trashed completely if the neighbors aren't the type to get the police involved. You don't get to choose who parks legally in front of your house.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

And yes, this has been explained more than once in this thread. You may not agree but stop pretending that people haven't explained why they find it annoying.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Y I, personally, can't even begin to imagine being frustrated simply because a person parks their car in front of my house on a public street, even if they *could* park someplace else etc etc... and I'm asking someone who says it's frustrating simply to have somebody parked there to explain why they, personally, find it so.
I, and several others, did just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
My next-door neighbors (renters, thankfully gone now) parked in front of my house for a while because there were about 10 people living in that house and several cars. I'll tell you how it created a problem for me. Number 1, the car was junky and was an eyesore. Number 2, they rutted up the edge of my yard (it goes all the way to the street) with their tires, making a) another eyesore and b) it hard to mow.

I went outside, spent about an hour smoothing the ruts out with a garden rake (while they went in and out of their house and watched me), and then moved some political-type signs from the other end of the yard to that spot. They got the message. If they hadn't, I had my local police chief on standby to give them a talkin' to. lol

This is not a city, nor even a suburban subdivision....no one has the right to park in front of my house and rut up my yard except for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired58 View Post
Sunspirt brought out good points where places that get snow. Say you get a snow storm and wait until it stops. Then you go out for hours in the cold and shovel the snow to clear a parking spot(s) in front of your house. Some people will put garbage cans(I don't) to reserve there spot that they shoveled out, while the neighbor sipping on his hot coffee and watching you from the window nice and warm and dry in there house . You go to the store and come back and they have a guest that came over that took your spot that you shoved out for hours.Because they were lazy to do there parking spots. Some people post you don't own the street.That is correct. But there are some unwritten rules that decent neighbors know but ignore them for there own selfish reasons.Where there is no snow if there is empty spots in front of your home park there. Another Unwritten rule plus it's neighbor lee thing to do. It's not Me Me Me and I am better than everyone else attitude. Thank God I have great neighbors .
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
You have to put it in context (which is what this thread has done). If a street is full of parked cars, and every spot is up for grabs, then that's life. You park where you can.

When there are plenty of open spots, and your neighbor has no one in front of his house EVER, yet he parks in front of your house... then that is frustrating. Why doesn't he park in front of his own house? Wouldn't that make more sense?

I should add, I don't have this problem. All of us on my street respect each other, and do our best to park as close to our own house as possible. And for the most part, it works well. And when we have visitors, they can park in front, since it's open.

But if my neighbor parked in front of my house and never his own... I'd talk to him to find out why. Without a good reason, it's simply disrespectful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Context is everything, Brian.

My neighbors were using the street parking space in front of my suburban residence for extended storage of their infrequently used RV vehicles. With space for several cars there, they would park their RV/trailer so that it was the ONLY vehicle that could park in that area because another car would partially block either my driveway or the adjacent neighbor's driveway. They parked their vehicles for months at a time without moving them.

In our snowy climate and prevailing westerly winds, their vehicles parked in front of my house created snow drifts with far more depth than would occur without a vehicle parked there. With a south facing front yard, the RV's blocked the sunshine from helping to clear the sidewalk area. With county zoning and an aggressive HOA association both requiring that sidewalks be cleared within a certain time frame after a snowstorm, it created far more work for me to clear my sidewalk.

As well, when I had visitors, they had to park "down the street" from my house. The neighbors had asserted that it was more convenient for their guests to park in front of their house rather than in front of mine on the public parking roadway if they parked their RV in front of their own house.

And I'd agree with that: it's more convenient for our respective guests to be able to park in front of our houses rather than down the street. This isn't a city situation with fully occupied parking spaces where parking ... any parking ... was at a premium. This was a subdivision with sizable lots where an RV parked in front of my house was in my field of view, but not visible from the neighbor that owned the vehicle picture windows to "spoil" their view of the adjacent foothills. That was the other reason the neighbors gave as not wanting to park their RV's in front of their own house. They didn't want to "spoil" their view but it was OK by them to "spoil" mine.

That's quite different than an occasional use of the parking space because they had a lot of people over for a day ... such as a game day when they'd have all their kids and their friends over for an afternoon. It wasn't uncommon for them to take up all the available street parking on our cul-de-sac with all their cars.

IMO, those are valid reasons to not want your neighbor to park ... essentially long term storage ... of their RV in front of my house.

PS: more than a few times when they ran out of parking on the street, they'd use the xeriscaped rock area next to my driveway for another parking spot. It was not a parking spot, it was planted with succulents, cacti, and low water use ground cover plants in different colored rock areas to create some visual interest in the landscape. Parking on that destroyed my plants and tore up the rock garden area.

These folk also had no qualms about parking in my driveway if they thought I wasn't home. So very inconvenient to come home on a Sunday afternoon when they'd have their gatherings and I'd have to ask them to move their vehicle so I could get into my own garage ... all the while, their driveway would be vacant in front of their 3-car garage. All the more aggravating when I'd cleared the snow from my driveway and they hadn't cleared theirs because they didn't want it compacted down. They relied upon the Denver sunshine to melt their drive and sidewalk clear as it can do so many winter days when the snow sublimates away.

Perhaps in Warm Springs GA you don't have to worry about snowfall and clearing driveways and sidewalks, and your subdivision house spacing is such that it's only a matter of a few yards further to walk from in front of your neighbor's house to your front door. But in our area these are valid issues for the quiet enjoyment of our SFH's. It's a matter of common courtesy and respect for your neighbor to enjoy the use of their property as you would enjoy yours. Perhaps, also, you've missed the significance of the shortened parking length provided between driveways on a cul-de-sac with houses set back some distance from the street ... again, this contributes to a longer distance to the front door from the neighbor's street frontage parking than if the houses were close to the street and on narrow width lots. When elderly visitors arrive, you'd really like them to be able to park as close as possible to your residence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
My current neighbor does this ALL THE TIME. And they do it in such a way that they ALWAYS, ALWAYS block the walkway to my front door.

There are no sidewalks here. When they park directly in front of my walkway they have blocked my front door. They could park in front of their own house but they don't. They have a garage, which they do not use - not even for storage. It is actually empty. He has a car that he works on in the driveway - he could pull it into the (gravel and stone covered) yard and then the wife could park in their own driveway. Or he could put it IN THE GARAGE and work on it there. I have no idea why that thing isn't garaged.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:09 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,000,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Why would someone want to have their view blocked and have to look at their neighbor's ugly truck that he parks in front of their house because he would rather not look at his own ugly truck?

In my case, why would I want my visitors, some elderly and/or disabled, to have to walk further from down the block or across the street instead of being able to park directly in front of my house, utilizing the walkway I paid to add to the grass strip between the sidewalk and the road, instead of having to walk further and through the grass instead of on a nice walkway.

Yes, it's a public street and no one owns the parking in front of their house. But if it's no big deal to have cars parked in front of your house, why shouldn't it be no big deal for the people whose cars they are to have them parked in front of their own house?

See, I *said* "I get it if it's blocking access", so you explaining that you're annoyed that it blocks access is a bit redundant. But as for things like having to look at someone's car (you have a gorgeous view of... your street? That the car is COMPLETELY obscuring and ruining your day?) or just the fact that they could park someplace else but don't- those are the things I have a hard time understanding. People have said over and over again that they find the sight of a car that's not theirs on the street annoying, and I'm asking: Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living