Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:21 AM

947 posts, read 3,572,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Next most favorite thing? Riding down a gravel road on a bike, and when the time comes, no need to look for a rest room.
LOL That is funny, but so so true!! (I speak from expierience as well!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 10:11 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Like many things already listed here plus the fact a country neighbor sees you need help with something and they just pull in to help. I couldn't spit on my neighbor's house, don't hear nothing but silence at night or the wildlife around, bonfires, going to the mailbox in my pj's, the awesome smells that are not clouded by pollution, raising our own food to put up, kid's teachers knowing each parent's names, keeping a library book for 2 months never being fined because the close by town librarian just knows to re-new it, raising the 6th generation on this same land that has never been outside our family since President Andrew Jackson days, knowing what went into our food from birth to freezer and the number 1 thing.........................

That I live in a country that allows me to be free and thankful for all of the above!

Old 06-04-2008, 10:23 PM

947 posts, read 3,572,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Like many things already listed here plus the fact a country neighbor sees you need help with something and they just pull in to help. I couldn't spit on my neighbor's house, don't hear nothing but silence at night or the wildlife around, bonfires, going to the mailbox in my pj's, the awesome smells that are not clouded by pollution, raising our own food to put up, kid's teachers knowing each parent's names, keeping a library book for 2 months never being fined because the close by town librarian just knows to re-new it, raising the 6th generation on this same land that has never been outside our family since President Andrew Jackson days, knowing what went into our food from birth to freezer and the number 1 thing.........................

That I live in a country that allows me to be free and thankful for all of the above!
WAY TO GO! One of the best posts in this thread yet!!

Old 06-05-2008, 08:39 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Aw shucks RadioBroadcaster2008. Thank you!

Old 06-06-2008, 06:31 AM

35 posts, read 148,234 times
Default Rural Living

My fav thing about rural living...
Living on the flow of the seasons ans weather rather than the flow of traffic (human and gas-driven) or time

Less of other people regulating what I can or cannot do with my own things/property

Knowing how much (and what kinds of) crap got piled on my food

Being able to get out and STREEEEEEETCH without neighbors lookin in the windows for a peek (creepy, and it happens all the time)

The absolute peaceful silence

I miss country livin. The Army has us living in sardine apartments in Germany right now...I have seven apartments that I share walls with, and other people's windows facing my windows from a VERY short distance away. The only privacy is if I shut my curtains (with clothespins) and WINDOWS so noone can see or hear anything...its like livin in a cave to get some privacy.

I HATE dealing with discourteous people who decide they need to use their car as a party station most days of the week at any hour of the day or night, with no thought for anyone else, or the fifteen car alarms that go off from it, or the undisciplined children tearing up everyone else's property, the no quiet place to go sit without a twenty minute drive, all the un-picked-up dog piles all over the sidewalk and every grassy area, actually meeting people who have no idea what animal milk comes from ( or that its not from a factory!!!)

YAY for moving to Texas in 3 months!!! And God bless farmers!!!

Old 06-06-2008, 01:55 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
City people who've never lived on a farm, don't know what they are missing. Here are a few things I remember when I think about our farm:

Clothes lines, where we hung clothes. You'll not find a fresher smelling, soft clothes than from a clothes line in sunlight and a breeze.

Bluejays, scissortails, cardinals, dove, pheasants, quail, buzzards, hawks, and just plain little birds I have no name for.

Coyotes, deer, rabbits (actually hare, but we call'em rabbits), skunks.

Turtles, rattlesnakes, bull snakes, and others of questionable names.

Black widow spiders, blister bugs, scorpians were things we learned to watch for at an early age.

The water was hard, lots of gypsum, but you got used to it. It was pumped from the ground, as well as two other windmills for cattle.

Cactus, mesquite trees, bois 'd arc (aka Osage-orange, used as shelter belts ). Indians used to make bows and arrows of the straight limbs.

Neighboring farmers and their families were the most helpful people I've known in my life.

Last but not least were the stars. I live in a city, now, but it never ceases to amaze me what the Milky Way looks like, especially on a summer night. A lot of city people will never know. They are a beauty to behold. If your eyes are a bit out of whack, go miles away from any city and take a pair of adjustable binoculars.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:20 PM

4 posts, read 14,927 times
We're moving to a rural town in SC and, from all I've read, I can't wait. I'm looking forward to my children experiencing what I did as a child when I went to spend summers in the country.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:15 PM

403 posts, read 1,580,807 times
your not around all the annoying people

Old 06-07-2008, 12:38 AM

7,913 posts, read 933,126 times
no close neighbors - which means no one can hear when you scream.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:29 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
No neighbors, quiet, beautiful scenery, low crime, friendlier people, things are slower, no traffic....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living