U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 12:54 AM

20,222 posts, read 16,665,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Like many things already listed here plus the fact a country neighbor sees you need help with something and they just pull in to help. I couldn't spit on my neighbor's house, don't hear nothing but silence at night or the wildlife around, bonfires, going to the mailbox in my pj's, the awesome smells that are not clouded by pollution, raising our own food to put up, kid's teachers knowing each parent's names, keeping a library book for 2 months never being fined because the close by town librarian just knows to re-new it, raising the 6th generation on this same land that has never been outside our family since President Andrew Jackson days, knowing what went into our food from birth to freezer and the number 1 thing.........................

That I live in a country that allows me to be free and thankful for all of the above!

I TOTALLY commend you for the post, because I agree, you couldnt do half those things living in the city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 03:25 AM

69 posts, read 18,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by me0123 View Post
what is your favorite thing about living in a rural area?
I've given it some thought, and I can't think of anything I like about this rural area. I think this "wholesome small town" myth is just that - a myth. Meth use is a huge plague here. In fact, the people seem kind of depraved out here in this little Western town. Some seem to actually exaggerate their backwardness as if it were something of which they should be proud. I miss civilization. I miss decent bookstores and people who dress well. And interesting and attractive neighborhoods and shops. And people who don't seem to be so nosy and judgemental. This provincial Wal-Mart culture out here is depressing. Really, it is.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:20 AM

21,797 posts, read 28,255,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I so much agree with this. When I lived as a kid in the city, one of our neighbors starting a dispute about a fence boundary. This little episode cost my grandfather hundreds of dollars to correct.

The suburbs were no better with various neighbor wars throughout the years. They'll call on you if you grass gets a little high. I once had the cops pay me a visit because I had a car with a flat tire outside in my driveway for less than a day. Unbelievable!

Living on a farm like I did for 7 years we never had petty stuff like this happen.
Around here we see cars that have sat long enough that now trees are growing up through them and have reached timber size.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:22 AM

21,797 posts, read 28,255,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleomayline View Post
Sleeping in the silence with windows open and smelling beautiful alfalfa.
Silence?

Our windows are open, we have chickens and goats which both make noise

Running in front of our house is a brook, so we have the babbling of the brook too.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:51 AM

16,094 posts, read 11,391,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
I TOTALLY commend you for the post, because I agree, you couldnt do half those things living in the city!
Thank you Livewire I know daily I am blessed with my living spot on earth but one day will have even greater surroundings than these.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:49 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 3,670,197 times
My most recent "love" of living rurally.........the true kindness and compassion of the people.
My truck blew the transmission recently. Not only did my neighbor follow me to the repair shop (an hour away), they also DEMANDED that I use any one of their cars until my truck is repaired. When I found out the cost of my repairs, I got the reply "Sunday morning we will take you to a guy we know who will do it for a lot less and is very good. Monday we will get your truck there."
In the big city I moved from, my neighbors wouldn't even notice that my truck was down , much less consider letting me use one of theirs. I took my several days of being without to even except using their vehicle.
When the other neighbor saw me in the other car, they inquired about my truck and offered one of their vehicles should I need it.

Some may not be the college educated, well dressed, living in cookie cutter perfect houses....... but I have found them to be honest and generous with whatever they may have or can do to help you out. A sense of true community and friendship. Some of the best people to come into my life.

We have been here less than a year. We have gained a large extended family, but better.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:13 AM

12,532 posts, read 18,224,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
My most recent "love" of living rurally.........the true kindness and compassion of the people.
My truck blew the transmission recently. Not only did my neighbor follow me to the repair shop (an hour away), they also DEMANDED that I use any one of their cars until my truck is repaired. When I found out the cost of my repairs, I got the reply "Sunday morning we will take you to a guy we know who will do it for a lot less and is very good. Monday we will get your truck there."
In the big city I moved from, my neighbors wouldn't even notice that my truck was down , much less consider letting me use one of theirs. I took my several days of being without to even except using their vehicle.
When the other neighbor saw me in the other car, they inquired about my truck and offered one of their vehicles should I need it.

Some may not be the college educated, well dressed, living in cookie cutter perfect houses....... but I have found them to be honest and generous with whatever they may have or can do to help you out. A sense of true community and friendship. Some of the best people to come into my life.

We have been here less than a year. We have gained a large extended family, but better.
This post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing. God bless your sweet neighbors.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:24 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,728,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1980 View Post
I've given it some thought, and I can't think of anything I like about this rural area. I think this "wholesome small town" myth is just that - a myth. Meth use is a huge plague here. In fact, the people seem kind of depraved out here in this little Western town. Some seem to actually exaggerate their backwardness as if it were something of which they should be proud. I miss civilization. I miss decent bookstores and people who dress well. And interesting and attractive neighborhoods and shops. And people who don't seem to be so nosy and judgemental. This provincial Wal-Mart culture out here is depressing. Really, it is.

And where would this be? Read your other post on "What's for Dinner Tonight" where you claimed to have shot a stray dog near your residence. Lighten up. You sure sound like one unhappy guy!

Old 06-29-2008, 07:18 PM

4,222 posts, read 10,644,639 times
I live on the outskirts of our town and my mom lives on a farm 40 minutes away so I get my rural time in. lol Our area is fairly rural. I wrote a blog about my area here it is. I do wish however that I lived a little farther away from town.

Ahhh the sound of song birds, crickets, coyotes.... The brief winds on a cool June day with blue skies and puffy cumulus clouds. The green pastures where the horses are out rest. The smell of fresh baked goods coming from the Amish bakery. The views from the abundant vistas that surround me. It all seems like a dream but it isn't. This is life in South Central Wisconsin...

Old 07-02-2008, 11:37 PM

20,222 posts, read 16,665,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
These are some of my closest neighbors, needless to say I don't get any complaints from them if I make little too much noise. I love the peace and quiet and the closeness to nature, that's what my favorite thing about living in a rural area is about.

You dont get to see much of that anymore in too many places. How sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living