Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 01:09 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times

Advertisements

If they tried that in a lot of homes in this area..... I hear banjos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 01:21 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
They do "Ask" and then point out the "Benefits" of cooperating.

One of my retired neighbors played the game... he and his wife were so grateful the Assessor showed up... would not let the poor woman go showing them all the things wrong with their property... they got a reduction and the assessor has never been back...

Old 01-16-2018, 01:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist1968 View Post
Where we live, people are notified first by the assessors office. It's just good form.
They do not drop by and demand entry into your home. Then lie saying that is their right
And their right to lie adding on bedrooms & bathrooms to your house if you deny entry.

It is so weird to buy a house with many photos online, and permits up to date. Then less than 3 months later they want to re-assess what they already know. Nope. Not sure how to address this but will talk to our County Supervisor who lives in the same sub division. He left his card here to when he dropped by. But he's my neighbor! A sweet guy.

California had a law pass some years ago which set property tax rates. They are trying to circumvent it. I am told these always result in things made up to charge people for. The Sheriff just got charged $500 for a small 5x5 ft shed she bought and placed in her yard. She now won't allow them inside.
That may be one clue for them, looking at the photos when a home is for sale, noting the recent remodel, and then waiting for the new buyer to move in and try to inspect. When they see a 1940s home with granite countertops, and marble around the jetted tub, but no permits on file it raises a red flag.
When we were in California (Contra Costa County) they actually had a helicopter that would look for additions/remodels from the air to make sure they were permitted. Even a dumpster in the driveway is a clue. The don't like to miss out on tax revenue.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:07 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
I have lived in 4 or 5 states, and they have never came in. They simply walk the property and do measurements. If someone pulled this with me, I would call the state to see what they were allowed to do. I know here in KS, the locals have to answer to the state when it comes to their actions. Here an appeal, and I have appealed and won in 3 cities, when it comes to taxable value, takes less than 60 days. If you aren't satisfied, it goes to the state. Locals rarely want the state anymore involved than need be, thus the appeals generally are settled locally.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:36 PM

436 posts, read 302,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Follow the money...

The thing is the Assessor can say entry refused and then is free to estimate and leave it up to you to appeal...

Catch is county has 2 years to have appeal hearing meanwhile taxes must be paid as billed.

Improvements are assessed under Prop 13...

This is what the Assessor was looking for at my Alameda County property... and there have not been any.
Thank you Ultrarunner ! That is good to know. I'll research that further. Meant to respond to your other post but ended up taking off right after. Good info regarding your home in Alameda County

I just visited the Assessors office and they first lied saying all she did was a drive by and take photos.

I gave a polite yet stern look saying "so you mean you didn't walk around our property? why leave a card in the door if all you did drive by and take pictures?" I also said I was concerned because we never got notification prior but they said they aren't always in our neck of the woods so just drop by. She then told the truth saying she measured the house. Not sure what-else she did but I don't think she broke inside.

They say that was all they needed so that was a nice relief. I said "oh ok and nice to meet you. I just wondered if you needed anything else.". Except the greenhouse we were going to add on may not happen now. It may not be feasible as since they have the square footage now so would probably want money for us to add it on. Not sure if I need a greenhouse that bad, it's already 6k for the kit for my husband to build it.

They aren't nearly as bad as the stories I heard. Maybe the fit that one lady pitched who worked at the Sheriffs Office changed things for the better. Our best friend, an Attorney, came up with us and we showed him a house to fix up and sell. Phoned him and was surprised how much he knew off the top of his head. He said ask by what authority they have to demand entry. Then responded they'll have nothing so they are nothing different than a citizen. Better call him back now. Whew~

Old 01-16-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I have lived in 4 or 5 states, and they have never came in. They simply walk the property and do measurements. If someone pulled this with me, I would call the state to see what they were allowed to do. I know here in KS, the locals have to answer to the state when it comes to their actions. Here an appeal, and I have appealed and won in 3 cities, when it comes to taxable value, takes less than 60 days. If you aren't satisfied, it goes to the state. Locals rarely want the state anymore involved than need be, thus the appeals generally are settled locally.
Glad you were armed with the proper info to be able to win your appeals. Contacting the State, whoever is above the office does seem like something they'd want to avoid at all costs

Old 01-16-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That may be one clue for them, looking at the photos when a home is for sale, noting the recent remodel, and then waiting for the new buyer to move in and try to inspect. When they see a 1940s home with granite countertops, and marble around the jetted tub, but no permits on file it raises a red flag.
When we were in California (Contra Costa County) they actually had a helicopter that would look for additions/remodels from the air to make sure they were permitted. Even a dumpster in the driveway is a clue. The don't like to miss out on tax revenue.
A Hellicopter, wow. That's hardcore. That County is pretty wealthy, this one not so much.

The photos of this house are very clear, and it has no trees around it. So google sattelite images are pretty good.
When we sell this and downsize, we will live where we can have a gate in front.

The Assessors Office is adjacent the Building Dept. When he remodeled, he called out the Building Inspector but never had the final remodel finalized. Partially because he lost his wife -AND- ended up getting in a fatal car crash killing the other driver. He had it rough and just put the house on the market. He did get it finalized but was unhappy with us. He asked for more $$ which we provided him for the sale.

When the town is this tiny, you already know they were informed of the inside. The offices are small and adjacent each other. Sharing buildings. The photos are very clear. I was going to offer to get the info and bring it over but can see their all buddies. The sheriffs dept is within just feet away. Once one County official comes in, no doubt they are eyes and ears for the other departments

Old 01-16-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
They do "Ask" and then point out the "Benefits" of cooperating.

One of my retired neighbors played the game... he and his wife were so grateful the Assessor showed up... would not let the poor woman go showing them all the things wrong with their property... they got a reduction and the assessor has never been back...
Too funny.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:51 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
How do you expect the county to appraise real estate if they don't look at it?
Mod Cut

Every venue has info on file regarding properties. It's common for them to view the outside of properties to check for additions that may have been added without required permits, but I've NEVER heard of assessors traipsing through the insides of homes looking for bathrooms.

The idea that someone wouldn't even question this is bizarre.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-16-2018 at 05:02 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 05:30 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times
Disgusting rent-seeking vermin. Tell them to **** off and never come back and they can argue in court if they have a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living