Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 05:09 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times

Advertisements

Peppermint oil is a common old time deterrent. Remember that mice are prey and depend upon their ears to hear predators coming. A radio, even at low volume, may make them decide to hip hop out of the immediate area. If all else fails, there are these things called mousetraps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 05:55 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,599 times
Peppermint but be careful planting it in your garden. Grows like weed and hard to contain or get rid of.

How to Use Peppermint Oil as a Natural Mouse Repellent

Old 01-18-2018, 06:00 PM

480 posts, read 480,943 times
All good ideas, thanks. What I'd love to figure out is why they love the mini-van so much but they don't bother my vehicle (Ford Explorer). I've never had a single one-both are driven basically every day, both are parked in the same place, etc...

Old 01-18-2018, 07:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
It probably has the easiest system to get into, retains heat longer after running, runs hotter, or some such.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:12 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It probably has the easiest system to get into, retains heat longer after running, runs hotter, or some such.
Must RESIST the urge to respond, using this as a metaphor for other things...

Old 01-18-2018, 09:03 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp_Yankee View Post
All good ideas, thanks. What I'd love to figure out is why they love the mini-van so much but they don't bother my vehicle (Ford Explorer). I've never had a single one-both are driven basically every day, both are parked in the same place, etc...
Maybe the potential nesting materials differ. My husband’s car has been completely “de-firewalled” and his underhood mat is badly chewed. Meanwhile, the mice have begun chomping the underhood mat of his other vehicle, but the firewall is all metal, BWAHHAHAHAHAH, take that you horrible mice.

He doesn’t want to, but if it were me I would put little booby traps such as the ziptied mousetraps that another poster suggested. It would be worth the trouble of rigging, checking, and removing every few days just for the satisfaction of smushing the invaders.

Coincidentally, this morning I found the pinched-shut rear half of a mouse on the ground behind one vehicle. We checked all engine bays but did not see any blood splats or heads or front feet. Maybe an owl got it, hehehe.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:26 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
I have bought a product at my local home improvement store....it is a large sachet type bag, specifically meant for farm vehicles and cars...Sorry, cannot remember the name but I found it on the isle that sells such mice repellent things.

Also, peppermint oil on cotton balls is very strong smelling....the mice cannot smell food, only the strong caustic smelling peppermint oil and stay away.

How to Use Peppermint Oil as a Natural Mouse Repellent

Old 01-19-2018, 05:33 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Just use mousetraps and check them every day. I DO NOT recommend putting out poison. Reasons listed below:

If you put poison in your vehicle (OR your house, cottage, etc), expect to start smelling a dead mouse once the weather warms up. They try to find a nook/cranny to die in. It happened to us at our cottage and we couldn't find it. I could smell dead mouse for a YEAR! disgusting smell...

Another REALLY bad thing about putting out poison is that birds of prey ingest these dying mice and then they themselves die a slow agonizing death.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:12 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Had problems with my CAT Dozer... then someone suggested Bounce Dryer Sheets...

No idea if it worked but that was the end of my mice problem...

My bother lives on a farm and probably catches 10 a week...

Old 01-19-2018, 08:20 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
Bounce Dryer Sheets...
Anyone want to recommend a particular scent?
Preferably one that humans like and mice don't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living