Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 05:35 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,059,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, I currently live in the Northeast and all the small tourist towns have parking meters in their tourist areas. In addition, all the businesses have signs "No Public Restrooms" and visitors go to the public toilets that are typically located next to a large parking lot in the center of town.

The locals park at their houses. If they need to take the car in to the center of town, they feed the meter. If they don't need to take the car into the center, they just walk. Also, locals learn where the non-metered parking is (usually a couple blocks away from the center).

Given that the housing prices in these small towns just keep going up and up, I would say the fact of metered parking downtown is not scaring too many people off.

If you just can't stand the aspects of life in a small tourist town, then move somewhere that isn't a tourist destination. Tourist towns are the way they are, and it's a lot more than just metered parking.
When I visit a place like that, I just do like the locals do. I drive into the nearest residential neighborhood, and park in front of one of their houses and walk, and I don't care if it POs the residents. I have never visited a place where I couldn't find free parking, except for airports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 05:36 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,426,807 times
The beach-front tourist town closest to me has paid parking, but as far as I know, only by the beach itself. It really only affects day trippers as many of the so-called "tourists" have owned summer homes in the town for decades. passing them down from one generation to another. They, as well as the full-time residents, all have their own parking. The rest of the parking is free anyway, so no-one really cares.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:41 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,542,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Would it affect you as a citizen, as a potential move-to, or as a visitor if a cute, small and growing in popularity, water-side community imposed paid parking with a two-hour limit?

Would you want to live there, move there, shop there, dine there, visit there? Or would the two-hour paid parking not affect your attraction to the town?

The paid parking enforcement would be in effect May- end of Oct. from 8 AM to 8 PM, seven days a week.
I have to wonder if this is a serious question. Paid parking is so far down my list as a factor in choosing a place to live to make me wonder if you are a miser.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:05 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
I live 13 miles from a popular touristy city. Between finding parking and paying for parking, I hardly ever go there anymore. It’s too bad, because there is always something fun going on, and the restaurants are abundant.

I feel very sorry for the downtown residents who don’t have off street parking, and especially the service workers who really lose a lot of their pay for parking.

Op, just make sure that parking comes included wherever you live.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:27 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,204,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I have to wonder if this is a serious question. Paid parking is so far down my list as a factor in choosing a place to live to make me wonder if you are a miser.
If I was going to move to the center of a town but had to pay to park, I might try to negotiate something. Wouldn't you think, though, that your rent would include a parking space or a parking pass?

Old 05-02-2018, 11:36 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Ok, I know you guys from New York or wherever are going to contradict me but here goes anyway.

Most "tourist" areas have zoning that mandates off street parking for apartments, restaurants, some stores, etc. So someone moving to such a place is likely going to have arrangements for parking somewhere.

The requirements are often tied to the number of bedrooms for residences or accommodations, sq. ft. or number of seats for restaurants/bars, etc.

The trick is when more people come than the base parking can handle.

As far as "parking in front of residences, screw' em" goes, a lot of tourist areas have residential permit or zoned parking so any tourist that parks there can get fined or even towed. Annapolis is like that.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Ok, I know you guys from New York or wherever are going to contradict me but here goes anyway.

Most "tourist" areas have zoning that mandates off street parking for apartments, restaurants, some stores, etc. So someone moving to such a place is likely going to have arrangements for parking somewhere.

The requirements are often tied to the number of bedrooms for residences or accommodations, sq. ft. or number of seats for restaurants/bars, etc.

The trick is when more people come than the base parking can handle.

As far as "parking in front of residences, screw' em" goes, a lot of tourist areas have residential permit or zoned parking so any tourist that parks there can get fined or even towed. Annapolis is like that.
Annapolis is a small town? I don't think so.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:03 PM

This must be an East Coast thing. I may be wrong, but to the best of my knowledge there are no beach towns on the West Coast north of San Francisco that have paid parking. Around here, the beach and Downtown areas are all the standard 2 hour free parking, and for the most part, the time limit is never enforced. Come to think of it, even San Francisco has plenty of free parking near beaches, except for the Fisherman's Wharf area.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
It's #1 at the top of my list.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:09 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Annapolis is a small town? I don't think so.
Annapolis is a tourist town with a population of just under 40K. It has the same parking issues described here. A Downtown with limited parking which is paid (meters and garages).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living