Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 09:13 AM

7,079 posts, read 12,582,046 times

Advertisements

Would it affect you as a citizen, as a potential move-to, or as a visitor if a cute, small and growing in popularity, water-side community imposed paid parking with a two-hour limit?

Would you want to live there, move there, shop there, dine there, visit there? Or would the two-hour paid parking not affect your attraction to the town?

The paid parking enforcement would be in effect May- end of Oct. from 8 AM to 8 PM, seven days a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 09:24 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,593,882 times
It's the cost of parking, I don't expect free parking anywhere I go anymore.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:44 PM

15,967 posts, read 20,946,204 times
It depends? How much and how often does this paid parking have an effect on me? Is it where I would work or shop often? Is it the whole town, or just the touristy bits?
One of the things I loved about where I am is parking is free just about everywhere, but I don't think it would matter very much to me if they put paid parking around the 'hot spots' because I don't often go to those places anyway. A nice change from where I used to live and you simply added $4-$10 to the cost of doing anything because of paid parking.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:58 PM

22,945 posts, read 18,241,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Would it affect you as a citizen, as a potential move-to, or as a visitor if a cute, small and growing in popularity, water-side community imposed paid parking with a two-hour limit?

Would you want to live there, move there, shop there, dine there, visit there? Or would the two-hour paid parking not affect your attraction to the town?

The paid parking enforcement would be in effect May- end of Oct. from 8 AM to 8 PM, seven days a week.
For myself, the reason for raising that revenue would matter. If I know that the revenue from parking fees is going to something specific that will actually benefit something, no problem. Such as expansion/maintenance of the area the parking serves...paying for patrolling that area, etc. Small communities have to raise funds somehow if taxes won't help. If the revenue just disappears into the black hole of municipal mismanagement, then I might not vote for approval or boycott that parking on principal. Take advantage of the "small" community. Inform citizens and visitors why this is being done. Post the reasons for raising the revenue right at the site. Get support under it before imposing it.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:37 PM

3,279 posts, read 2,985,752 times
Quote:

Yes, it would affect my desire/intention to live there. And I wouldn't bother going there to shop or dine. I know this because when I lived in Minneapolis, there was very little that would induce me to drive anywhere that I had to pay to park, no matter how wonderful the attraction.

One of the things I absolutely love about the town closest to us is that there is plenty of free parking, both on street and lots. About five blocks of the main drag has a 2 hour limit Monday-Saturday, but it is free.

I hate paid parking. It's one of the things I was glad to leave when we moved away from Minneapolis.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:42 PM

6,277 posts, read 4,148,601 times
Quote:

No. I can understand there are areas within a town with parking meters, parking garages, but when there are no free parking on streets that our taxes pay for I am not inclined to stop and shop. I certainly would not want to live in a town with paid parking every time I needed to buzz into town to the post office,or pharmacy .

Old 04-30-2018, 09:42 PM

32,784 posts, read 36,033,769 times
What happens after two hours? Am I supposed to leave?

Old 04-30-2018, 10:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,300,223 times
I plan where I go based on ease of parking. I am willing to pay more for groceries or other items, for instance, at a store that has lots of easy, free parking.

I've lived in towns with parking meters, or with limited parking in downtown areas, and even though I liked walking around downtown, I rarely went there - because of parking.

Most places have other options, like Walmart with big free parking lots.

Some people will deal with the parking issues, in order to be seen or dine at certain restaurants. I'll deal with it if there is an event I want to go to - but - I will often pay for a cab instead of dealing with parking. Plus, that way I can have a drink and not worry about driving.

If the tourist location is one that's just so wonderful, dealing with parking is part of the deal, then it probably won't be an issue for the town, at least as far as tourists go.

But, for local traffic, it can be the kiss of death for a downtown area. People will just go somewhere where it's easier to park.

And even if you're willing to pay for parking, and let's say you don't have to drive around and around to find a parking place - you also have to have change on you, or be willing to use your debit/credit cards in some parking payment kiosk that might not be a safe place to swipe your card, too.

I dunno. You better have a draw big enough to get people to deal with paid parking, that will make up for all of the people who will be fine simply shopping somewhere else with free/easy parking.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:23 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,300,223 times
Just a thought - I've lived in residential areas that are close to universities, etc., where there was restricted parking on the streets. As a resident on those streets, we could buy a permit that allowed us to park on those streets without paying for parking.

I'd be more willing to buy a "downtown" parking permit, than deal with carrying around change or using my card in a kiosk. It would allow me to just find a parking spot and park, without the other hassles and time it takes to deal with paying for parking or get cited.

So, if your mission is to increase revenue downtown, perhaps you could put parking meters in, but also allow locals to buy parking permits that they can display on their dash or a sticker in the back window, etc., and they could then park downtown without dealing with the meters.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:30 PM

15,224 posts, read 8,823,789 times
Quote:

I would stay away from a town like that. For one thing, paid, or time limited parking indicates the town has a parking problem. Why would you move to a small town that has parking problems? It's not only the inconvenience of the paid parking, but where there is paid parking there is illegal parking too. Don't be surprised to come home and find a car parked blocking your driveway, or maybe even parked IN your driveway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living