Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 07:25 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,932,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansbury View Post
I love my horse barn as much as I do my house. My husband and I are now in the process of turning the upstairs and 2 of the stalls into a living space. I think it will be wonderful.
Very European, very common to live with the animals and having the house connected to the barns.Things are changing in the less rural settings, but , I do remember my Grandmother talking about growing up in rural N. europe.
Maybe we will return to a setting more practial and effecient as in the olden days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 08:44 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,861,563 times
A few pics of our addition....to the house/barn we haven't even moved into yet...

This is a MIL addition,she is moving up to NC with us due to an illness.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:03 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
A few pics of our addition....to the house/barn we haven't even moved into yet...

This is a MIL addition,she is moving up to NC with us due to an illness.
Very handsome, oz. You kept the integrity of the original. Good job.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:31 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,147,270 times
Oz, sorry to hear that your MIL is not well. She is very fortunate to have you and your wife take her in and look after her. The addition looks awesome.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:41 PM

Thank you.

I think this is actually going to be very good for her,she is moving to an area she likes,and she will be able to get outside more because of the nicer weather.

We were going to go with sheetrock on the interior walls but er refuse to pay over $3000 for something we dislike so will be having the same wood planks as upstairs.The floors will be tile,not exactly what we wanted but it will work out well.
Also installed the sliding glass doors behind the double barn doors this past week,We will most likely keep the barn doors open but if we want to,we can close them up.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:33 AM

Well here are the walls with the wood on them...
This is inside the pantry/storeroom,it is about 8x20 and hopefully will be able to store AND hide all of our junk as well as food....

To the left of the dark doorway is the entrance to the pantry,the dark doorway is the laundry room,10x20 but still needs wood put on some of the walls,the fuse panel is in there and we REALLY want everything sorted out before we close it in.

This is the wall in the 'big room',we haven't yet figured out what this room is called...it has sliding glass doors leading to the outside,a small 'wet bar'(kitchenette??) thing will be along one of the walls so MIL can have her breakfast when she gets up or whatever..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/warpaint59/P1020688.jpg (broken link)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/warpaint59/P1020689.jpg (broken link)

One of the bedrooms,we tried to get the wood to match from wall to wall in the corners but sawmill lumber(or at least the stuff we were using) was sometimes bigger,and sometimes a little smaller...nothing a little trim won't cover up... Bedrooms are both 12x10 with a 6x8 walk in closet

Old 04-08-2011, 01:54 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,941,237 times
Looks awesome Oz! Things are really coming along nicely. Love the barn door shutters for your french doors, what a great idea! I'm sure your Great Room will look even more lovely once the wet/breakfast bar is in

Do you realize that your pantry is almost half the size of our entire cabin? Geez, and I thought my 8x8 pantry was pretty big LOL! (of course we do have two 8x10 sheds outside that serve as an additional larder for non-freezable stuff).

I know exactly what you mean about mill lumber not being exactly the same size... our "2x12" joists and rafters range from 1.75 to 2.25", and 11.5 to 12.5", and the lengths were totally random anywhere from 7 to 11 feet and not a square end in sight. Makes you wonder how much cough syrup the saw operator had that morning and whether he shared it with the guy on the planer!

You going to use milled trim, or just tack up some quarter-round in the corners and call it good? Since we left our loft joists exposed, we're cheating and using hemp rope and hot glue for our crown mould... no way was I even going to mess with all those miter cuts!

Keep up the good work

Old 04-08-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Looks awesome Oz! Things are really coming along nicely. Love the barn door shutters for your french doors, what a great idea! I'm sure your Great Room will look even more lovely once the wet/breakfast bar is in
Thanks,it has been a little tiring,wanting things to move quickly but some stuff just seems to take a while.

Quote:
Do you realize that your pantry is almost half the size of our entire cabin? Geez, and I thought my 8x8 pantry was pretty big LOL! (of course we do have two 8x10 sheds outside that serve as an additional larder for non-freezable stuff).
Well....we hope one day to have it filled with food from our land.

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean about mill lumber not being exactly the same size... our "2x12" joists and rafters range from 1.75 to 2.25", and 11.5 to 12.5", and the lengths were totally random anywhere from 7 to 11 feet and not a square end in sight. Makes you wonder how much cough syrup the saw operator had that morning and whether he shared it with the guy on the planer!
The sawmill we bought it from is run by a 75+ year old man,he seems really nice but sometimes the wood just doesn't come out right....

Quote:
You going to use milled trim, or just tack up some quarter-round in the corners and call it good?
Well..depending upon how much of the wood planks are left,we might try using that in some fashion,especially since we no longer have a dry place to store anything.

Quote:
Since we left our loft joists exposed, we're cheating and using hemp rope and hot glue for our crown mould... no way was I even going to mess with all those miter cuts!
Yeah,miter cuts,not a big fan....

Old 04-08-2011, 03:28 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,941,237 times
Quote:
Thanks,it has been a little tiring,wanting things to move quickly but some stuff just seems to take a while.
No project in home construction ever goes simply or quickly... Murphy's Law definitely applies

Quote:
Well....we hope one day to have it filled with food from our land.
Us, too... if we ever manage to finish the cabin! I shudder to think what new hell building the barn and greenhouse will bring

Quote:
Well..depending upon how much of the wood planks are left,we might try using that in some fashion,especially since we no longer have a dry place to store anything.
Depending on the thickness of your stock, you can always try ripping it down into 1x1 and slightly rounding or coping the outside edge with a router for the inner corners. If you have any thicker stock, you can do similar by ripping down into a 2x2 block and then dado/route out the back to fit the outside corner and then round over the outside edge. Lots of ripping and shaping... hope you have a good table saw and a router ***

Of course, you can always cheat (cheating is good in DIY) and just rip wide stock down and then butt-join 45 deg at the corners. With a good wood glue and some careful sanding, most folks won't be able to tell that you didn't miter, route or cope. It's supposed to look rustic, right?!

Old 04-08-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
No project in home construction ever goes simply or quickly... Murphy's Law definitely applies

Us, too... if we ever manage to finish the cabin! I shudder to think what new hell building the barn and greenhouse will bring

Depending on the thickness of your stock, you can always try ripping it down into 1x1 and slightly rounding or coping the outside edge with a router for the inner corners. If you have any thicker stock, you can do similar by ripping down into a 2x2 block and then dado/route out the back to fit the outside corner and then round over the outside edge. Lots of ripping and shaping... hope you have a good table saw and a router ***

Of course, you can always cheat (cheating is good in DIY) and just rip wide stock down and then butt-join 45 deg at the corners. With a good wood glue and some careful sanding, most folks won't be able to tell that you didn't miter, route or cope. It's supposed to look rustic, right?!
LOL....this is our mantra:

It IS a barn remember....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living