Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 07:22 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Hi,

We are thinking of raising cow/calf pairs, as that is what the local farmers do. Mind you, my husband and I are clueless about cattle. I wouldn't mind having a few mini-donkeys (so cute, but found out they hate dogs) and maybe a horse. Also, we would like to have a garden. We both will still be working outside jobs, so that is also a consideration.

I've been reading The Progressive Farmer magazine, and just read an article on how cows/goats or sheep form a symbiotic relationship, due to the cows grazing grass, and the sheep/goats grazing forbs.

The top fields should probably continue to be sharecropped for hay. It produced 39 round bales on the second cutting last summer. Not sure how many cows that would help feed over the winter. Also, not sure if someone is already counting on that hay to feed their cows.

The land is 1500 feet above seal level, so it is not going to flood there (or we all are going to be in deep water). It has long range views to the south, and to the north, where there are cuts through the trees. The sun sets over a forest across a farm, the west side. Neighbors have a cattle pasture on the east side, with a few large trees for shade. There is a dirt road flanking the property on the north side (and a year-round spring, in a large draw, where the water runs down the hill towards the road and dissappears ) There is a pond on the neighbors property across the road, so it may be going under the road somehow. On our property, in the woods on the north side, there is also a perfectly round pond, with deep sides (3-4 feet straight down). The guy who sold me the property says that the owner previous to him dug this pond. I've never seen a sinkhole, and was concerned that it might be one.

Our driveway/electric is going to be very long, as we need to get up the hill to the top to build/take advantage of the views. We were quoted $8k for a gravel driveway (ouch) and $5K for the well (including the pump), $3K for the septic, and figure another $2K for the electric. The local electric coop provides the first 2 poles for free.

Your ideas are greatly appreciated. We are going out to the farm in the next two weeks, and will be talking to a builder on positioning of house/outbuildings.
LOL, you don't have a sinkhole. Sinkholes have drains in the bottom that prevent water from ponding unless it is at the level of the water table.

Driller1 is giving you good advice. My well (which turned up dry) was $20/ft and even though it came in dry, I insisted on the plastic casing, just in case I wanted to use it for something else. Well pumps and tanks are extra.

The power costs are going to be more, I guarantee it. Double that figure at least. You'll see.

The gravel drive seems WAY overpriced. Hire someone with a dozer for less than $100/hr and then contact the local quarry for "crusher run" rather than pure gravel. Crusher run will compact into an almost cement-like surface. After a year, you can add pea or concrete stone.

You need more expertise with animals, big time. Since you are a newbie, get "the whole shebang" from Backwoods Home Magazine, and the 3 CD set from Mother Earth News Magazine, and visit the closest Tractor Supply store bookshelf. Read, read, read, then start asking questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 07:50 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
LOL, you don't have a sinkhole. Sinkholes have drains in the bottom that prevent water from ponding unless it is at the level of the water table.

Driller1 is giving you good advice. My well (which turned up dry) was $20/ft and even though it came in dry, I insisted on the plastic casing, just in case I wanted to use it for something else. Well pumps and tanks are extra.

The power costs are going to be more, I guarantee it. Double that figure at least. You'll see.

The gravel drive seems WAY overpriced. Hire someone with a dozer for less than $100/hr and then contact the local quarry for "crusher run" rather than pure gravel. Crusher run will compact into an almost cement-like surface. After a year, you can add pea or concrete stone.

You need more expertise with animals, big time. Since you are a newbie, get "the whole shebang" from Backwoods Home Magazine, and the 3 CD set from Mother Earth News Magazine, and visit the closest Tractor Supply store bookshelf. Read, read, read, then start asking questions.
Thanks Harry Chick Pea,
I'll try to get some more quotes on the driveway, when we get out there. The realtors we dealt with to buy the property are both also cattle farmers, (one raises purebred polled Hereford, and one raises Gelpvieh sp?)and they said they would be glad to teach us about raising cattle. They also have farms in the 'hood. We wouldn't get any animals right away, but would like to plan for the near future, and start very small. I'll also look into the reading materials and CDs that you mentioned. We have a Barnes & Noble bookstore close by. They can get a hold of almost everything. The closest tractor supply is about 40 minutes away, but I'll try to get over there to see if they have any good books. So the price of the electric is going to be a shock, lol. How far down did you dig with your well? Yikes, that's rough that it was dry. Is it hard to find water in your area, or was it just an unlucky spot? Per Driller and your advice, I'll insist on the PVC casing. Thanks again!

Tambre

Old 04-06-2008, 08:08 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Can you tell me the state, county, township and section number?? I will look some things up.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:11 PM

Default farm pictures

Hi,
My husband is here to help me attach a photo[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	dragos place2 123 (Small).jpg
Views:	411
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	17557

Click image for larger version

Name:	dragos place2 113 (Small).jpg
Views:	354
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	17558[/ATTACH]

Old 04-06-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Can you tell me the state, county, township and section number?? I will look some things up.
Hi Driller 1,

I'll direct message you that info.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:01 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
"How far down did you dig with your well? Yikes, that's rough that it was dry. Is it hard to find water in your area, or was it just an unlucky spot? Per Driller and your advice, I'll insist on the PVC casing. Thanks again!"

Only about 150 ft. Most wells in the area come in at 80 to 100'. Fortunately (actually by our spec) we have a year round stream on the property and full riparian rights, so we have water.

If you have neighbors willing to teach you about cattle raising, that means a lot.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:04 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Wellhead Protection Section - Home Page - MoDNR

I found this for your area. I am looking for well logs.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:10 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Hi everyone,

Any ideas/advice/wisdom on setting up a farm...65 acres, vacant land, , large rectangle shape with long side dirt road access on the north side. The land is a big hill with a flat 30 acre hayfield on top. There are some rough pastures and woods along the long side perimeters. It is fenced and cross fenced. There is a large draw with a year round spring on the north side. There is ledge rock on the south side. This land is in Missouri, so it is prone to some wild weather.

My questions would include: where to put the house in relation to the outbuilding. Is it good to keep the orientation of the buildings in a certain direction? Which side would be good for the well/septic, since there is a spring? We are thinking of building a pole barn/steel building first, and using is as temporary living quarters until we can build a house. How far apart would you suggest the house/outbuildings be? Thanks for your insights!

Tambre
I would set the house at least 100-200 feet off the road with pastures in front. Than I would centralize the barn near the house and if you need any arenas or round pens, calving barn or anything like that in that area than the rest pasture, and hay etc.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I would set the house at least 100-200 feet off the road with pastures in front. Than I would centralize the barn near the house and if you need any arenas or round pens, calving barn or anything like that in that area than the rest pasture, and hay etc.

Thanks, will keep your suggestions in mind.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Wellhead Protection Section - Home Page - MoDNR

I found this for your area. I am looking for well logs.
Hi Driller,

Thanks for doing all this research!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living