Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 10:17 PM

4,172 posts, read 2,567,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
He was the cutest lead in that film. I can't find any recent pictures of him. Just as well.
He sure was. I did a search of his name, and tried to copy, and paste a couple of photos from images, but it wouldn't let me. Btw he died in 92. I was reading up on him, and found that out . I guess he was a stage actor too. That explains his composed presence.

This is kind of funny. After I posted the link to the movie I started to worry about getting in trouble for it since it's hilarious, but not at all PC. I'm always getting in trouble, and I didn't want anybody to freak out over the N word, or whatever . So I deleted it. But I guess it was meant to be.

Sorry everybody for being OT, but when I read his name in another post I immediately thought of Blazing Saddles, and went off on a tangent .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 10:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
If you know everyone around you you know what to expect
Hostile people are avoided
In the big city you are expected to act like they are friends even when they are openly hostile

Old 07-05-2018, 06:14 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,083,649 times
I've come to the realization that many people in this country are going off the deep end. They have become so paranoid and delusional that they remind me of scared rabbits. Watching too much Prime Time TV has something to do with it. They really have a distorted and negative view of most people and reality.

Huckleberry. Completely agree with the comment that in some cities everyone expects you to be their friend. These are people that are very egotistical and self absorbed. They think the world revolves around them and if you don't have time or the inclination to associate with them on a personal level, they take it personally and get offended. I've endured far less of this behavior in most of the small towns where I've lived. More cliques is the reason. Prefer that environment. I'm not a man of the people or need to be the center of attention by all. Prefer a couple of good friends and a few acquaintances. Aside from that I try to be civil with everyone else but have no wish to be drinking buddies.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:30 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,124,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
And some of those places are so tiny that they are really no more than settlements. They have to be sure to plan ahead with the shopping, and fuel getting cuz if they forget the milk, or bread it's a real pain to have to drive way out to go get it, lol.

That'd be me. There's no running out for a loaf of bread around here. If you venture out, you have to kill a lot of birds with that one stone.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:36 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,598,275 times
same here, we do a monthly supermarket run, cans, uht milk, etc.etc.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
That'd be me. There's no running out for a loaf of bread around here. If you venture out, you have to kill a lot of birds with that one stone.
Lol, no doubt. Gotta make that fuel, etc stretch. "How many errands can I cover on this trip to make it worthwhile". Otherwise it's time if something is forgotten.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
same here, we do a monthly supermarket run, cans, uht milk, etc.etc.
That is when lists come in mighty handy, for me at least. I need to write everything down anyway, or I'll want to buy out the store if I'm hungry. If I'm not hungry then nothing looks good . It sure would be nice to have a large freezer, and a pantry to store all the bounty. Any farms nearby where you could buy your milk, and eggs?

In that neck of the woods I bet you drive through some stunning landscape to get into town. They can keep London. I'd get lost in there, and never find my way out .

Old 07-08-2018, 08:09 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,598,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
That is when lists come in mighty handy, for me at least. I need to write everything down anyway, or I'll want to buy out the store if I'm hungry. If I'm not hungry then nothing looks good . It sure would be nice to have a large freezer, and a pantry to store all the bounty. Any farms nearby where you could buy your milk, and eggs?

In that neck of the woods I bet you drive through some stunning landscape to get into town. They can keep London. I'd get lost in there, and never find my way out .
most of the milk from the farms around here goes to the cheese factory.
eggs we buy at road side stalls.
yes I do a list too, i'd forget stuff otherwise.
plenty of interesting countryside around here, like you I have no time for big cities-they don't interest me one bit, apart from food shopping and eggs and meat we get everything else delivered to the door, don't got anywhere near a (non food) store. the really big cities are several hundreds of miles from my location, London, Birmingham etc it would take half a day to get there even if I wanted to and I don't.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:13 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,722 times
Before modern communications existed, I would suppose that people who lived in small towns would look on outsiders with suspicion. However, people who live in small towns these days aren't isolated anymore. We know what the world is like because we watch TV and movies, we actually venture into the big cities, we travel and visit other places, we even have internet--we know what the rest of the world is about. You won't scare us. It's okay to come visit. We won't freak out, I promise.

But, like any neighborhood, even in some big cities, we look out for our neighbors and neighborhood.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:14 AM

834 posts, read 1,015,794 times
This is true for the small sheriff&bank towns full of religious fanatics who are nth generation "inhericrats"

Small towns with working people with families and such are pretty decent. I've lived in a lot over the years and wouldn't trade it for a mansion and millions..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living