U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 03:14 PM

925 posts, read 306,862 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about towns with only a few hundred people, that aren't right on a major highway. I moved to Colorado last year and in the eastern half of the state are all these small towns where no one really has any reason to go, and I want to go see them just to explore because I'm curious. Will the locals look at me funny or be suspicious if I drive through town just to have a look around?

I obviously don't expect anyone to be able to answer for every town in eastern Colorado, but in general. Will people be suspicious? Curious? Will they even pay attention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 05:32 PM

8,258 posts, read 3,581,186 times
Very hard to say. Towns that small often have distinct personalities. One town may not blink at a visitor. The next one right down the road might fawn all over someone new. I've lived in several towns that size and smaller. They were all different. Suspicious? Not usually, more of a "reserve judgment until you do something here" type attitude. If all you do there is shop, eat a meal, or spend the night they'll probably welcome your business in a friendly manner. However, news travels at lightning speed too. If someone you transact business gets an odd vibe, suspicion can happen in a heartbeat.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:56 PM

1,147 posts, read 890,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Very hard to say. Towns that small often have distinct personalities. One town may not blink at a visitor. The next one right down the road might fawn all over someone new. I've lived in several towns that size and smaller. They were all different. Suspicious? Not usually, more of a "reserve judgment until you do something here" type attitude. If all you do there is shop, eat a meal, or spend the night they'll probably welcome your business in a friendly manner. However, news travels at lightning speed too. If someone you transact business gets an odd vibe, suspicion can happen in a heartbeat.
^^^This. Very well said

Old 07-01-2018, 07:04 PM

6,568 posts, read 3,723,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
I'm talking about towns with only a few hundred people, that aren't right on a major highway. I moved to Colorado last year and in the eastern half of the state are all these small towns where no one really has any reason to go, and I want to go see them just to explore because I'm curious. Will the locals look at me funny or be suspicious if I drive through town just to have a look around?

I obviously don't expect anyone to be able to answer for every town in eastern Colorado, but in general. Will people be suspicious? Curious? Will they even pay attention?

People will look at you funny or suspicious if you're acting funny or suspicious.

Stopping in a store or a restaurant isn't suspicious. No one will think you're odd for that.

Driving around town isn't necessarily suspicious, but driving around slow taking pictures of people might be.

So... it depends.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:43 PM

37,143 posts, read 43,064,244 times
Completely indivudual.

Some will be suspicious, some will be curious, some won't care, and some won't notice.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:47 PM

14,572 posts, read 9,065,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post

Speaking as a life long explorer, I can say NO!, people will not be suspicious. Ride with your window down and stop and talk to people. They will enjoy it as much as I hope you will.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:54 PM

5,916 posts, read 3,182,758 times
Just don’t look like someone prowling to commit crimes.

And don’t do anything outlandish/flamboyant or dress really oddly or talk too much.

In other words, try not to stick out like a sore thumb. Looking like a tourist shouldn’t provoke much reaction, though.

p

Old 07-01-2018, 11:18 PM

2,896 posts, read 2,898,760 times
I've been to small enough towns were you definitely arouse "suspicion" simply by being there.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:39 PM

2,745 posts, read 1,150,664 times
Just take a gun with you and that should show em not to mess around. Well, maybe you might need a knife too just in case they try to jump you.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:01 AM

6,163 posts, read 1,241,293 times
Well, if the town was 100% of unmarried or divorced, be cautious of mother-in-laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or