Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 08:58 PM

25,443 posts, read 9,802,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceQueenJacqueline View Post
Thanks for the tip. I have actually been told that before by some conservative family members of mine.
Don't listen to them. I was conservative growing up and into my 40s. Got more liberal with age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 09:16 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,881,563 times
The Pacific NW is mild temp wise, we are known for our gray skies and steady rain though.

We do have mountains, trails, hiking, trees (Evergreen State!) and plenty of liberals.

I'd suggest looking from Everett to Bellingham and Longview/Kelso to Olympia.
Stay out of the Seattle metro area, to crowded, costly, and... damn crowded.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:37 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Somewhere with less than 100K people would be nice.
Communities of fewer than 100k people are not going to be awash in multitudes of ultra lucrative human services jobs, unfortunately.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:17 AM

674 posts, read 608,449 times
We can flip from being liberal to being conservative in an instant:
- A conservative is a liberal who has just been mugged;
- A liberal is a conservative who has spent one night in jail.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:09 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times
Quote:
Good day!

I am a 23 year old woman, and in a couple years I want to move out of Texas. I am having trouble finding a place that fits my criteria. It seems like all liberal states are expensive and freezing in the winter.

Here is what I am looking for:
Low crime (this is an absolute requirement)
Not a big city like Dallas, Austin, Chicago, or Boston (this is an absolute requirement)
Weather: mild or warm. Doesn’t get in the teens or below freezing. I can’t physically and mentally handle freezing cold, rainy, windy weather. Especially if it is happening all at once. (This is an absolute requirement)
Affordable for recent grad starting a job in social work. I suspect I will be making between 40i and 60k a year (this is an absolute requirement)
Liberal and/or progressive. It’s okay if the state is conservative as long as there are liberal pockets (high priority)
Small town or small city. A small town should be within an hour drive or less from a big city. Preferably one that had a University or teaching hospital. (High to very high priority)
Good for hiking, walking, lots of scenery like forests, parks, hills, nature trails. Fancy restaurants and nightlife are not important to me. (Mid to high priority)
I don’t plan on raising a family. I would like to get married eventually. So a median age around 35 would be good. (Low to mid priority).
Good public transportation (low priority).

Thank you!!!

Nashville.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:12 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Based on this statement I have to assume we're either dealing with a spammer or someone completely out of touch with reality.
She would definitely love CA. A bleeding heart liberal, who is a social worker? CA is a dream come true.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:36 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Needles, CA.
Barstow, CA.
Crescent City, CA.
Redding, CA.
Shasta Lake, CA.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:01 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Freezes and snows there pretty much every winter. You get freezing temps all the way down to Atlanta every year. Else I would have said Charlotte, NC or Greenville, SC ~ but the weather precludes those too. Heck, I'm about 2 hours south of Atlanta, about an hour from Auburn, AL, and it's the rare year we don't get hard freezing where I need to cover sensitive plants. We had snow 4 times this last winter, though that's a tad unusual.

Y'all got more snow than we did, (St. Louis), last winter!!

Old 07-15-2018, 11:55 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,881,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Needles, CA.
Barstow, CA.
Crescent City, CA.
Redding, CA.
Shasta Lake, CA.
North of Sacramento is beautiful and a very different California feel than San Fran on down.

Yuba City, Oroville, Chico, Red Bluff are other cities to look at.

When you hit Weed, you've went to far.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:04 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,589,402 times
All 3 of those get some cold/ freezing in the winter.

OP needs to take some courses in geriatric social work and look for jobs in florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living