Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 08:32 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
While reading opinions, such as Sperlings or CD etc. they can be so misleading; everyone has their own wants and dislikes. After 8 years I couldn't take the H/H that Florida had to offer, after research and a couple of visits , relocated to the mountains of Western NC, even family members told us of so and so and how he hated it, and couldn't wait to sell and move back up North, told of Bible Belt dislike of Yankees and on and on and on.

We found just the opposite, we were welcomed from the get go, when we moved and our furniture arrived, the driver was afraid to drive up our long driveway, we agreed on leaving our belongings in my barn at the foot of the driveway, from there my neighbor along with me and a couple of his Buds moved it up my mountain in his pickup, good, very accepting people in these hills.
My religious affiliation has never been questioned in the 2 years living here. Sure there's Confederate flags waving my neighbor flies one, as does a few others in the area, I never mentioned them, and neither did they, neighbor's family has been here for 6 generations. Lot of pride!

I'm a firm believer in treating people like you expect to be treated and you'll be OK.
There's no way I could agree with this more. I live in a suburban area of Charlotte and was raised here too. My nephew is very different than most people. There are things we agree and disagree on. But he's awesome. He loves his guns for collecting and shooting competitions and loves his confederate flag. But he lives in a 90% black neighborhood. Everyone there calls hi "The Flag Boy"..........and they love him. They all take part in community cookouts, interating daily. Though they're different, they love each other.

My family and I are devout Christians and Independent Conservatives. We have friends and family members of all types. Most of the larger churches here are VERY diverse, more so than any other place I've seen in the nation. We all agree on most things. With the things we don't, we agree to disagree. The Liberal or Conservative jerks who think disagreement is "hate", who believe they can't be friends with those who think differently from them, etc. they're ignored. I've lived short stints in Orlando, Columbus, Boston and have traveled extensively in my 53 years of life. I've found the South to have the most social interaction among different races and the least tension. We (black and white), in general, just ignore the media's and other regions' false stereotyping of us and treat each other as individuals instead of identity groups.

Some of the biggest surprises I've found here on C-D are those who want diversity, yet want to to live exclusively where your political beliefs are mirrored. I understand we are all drawn to social groups who believe like us. There's nothing wrong or biased about that, it's perfectly natural. But rejecting a whole region because they're not like us goes against the stand for "diversity" (including diversity if thought). There are lots of regional and religious stereotypes on here that are outdated, bigoted, and comes from very sheltered existences. Not saying you are necessarily in that group. Just that an alarming number of people on C-D seem to be. Mostly, feeling "accepted" will be how a person present themselves and come across to others. No person, community, or group is perfect. Flaws exist. But shying away from a group of people because of preconceived ideas will rob one of getting to know some wonderful people. The #1 rule is, we don't have to agree on everything. Please take this post in the spirit in which its intended. I'm not trying to lecture or be all-knowing, etc. I just think too many times there are a lot of misunderstands about what some people are all about (I as a Southern Christian see it on here almost daily) and we think we have to agree in dorder to love one another. I just want to dispel that so we CAN move to areas and not have it HAVE to be Liberal or Conservative to make us "feel accepted". Just "feeling" some way doesn't make it true. The way we choose to perceive things has to be considered. When we, as Conservatives, lived in the Boston area, we met great people and had no issues. I know a ton of people who are Liberal who come here and did well with Conservative people they met. As long as a person isn't a jerk and does the above, there are very few places in the nation (including the South) where you could have any issues. Sorry for rambling, lol. Just a lot of thoughts. Good luck wherever you land!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 10:09 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
There's no way I could agree with this more. I live in a suburban area of Charlotte and was raised here too. My nephew is very different than most people. There are things we agree and disagree on. But he's awesome. He loves his guns for collecting and shooting competitions and loves his confederate flag. But he lives in a 90% black neighborhood. Everyone there calls hi "The Flag Boy"..........and they love him. They all take part in community cookouts, interating daily. Though they're different, they love each other.

My family and I are devout Christians and Independent Conservatives. We have friends and family members of all types. Most of the larger churches here are VERY diverse, more so than any other place I've seen in the nation. We all agree on most things. With the things we don't, we agree to disagree. The Liberal or Conservative jerks who think disagreement is "hate", who believe they can't be friends with those who think differently from them, etc. they're ignored. I've lived short stints in Orlando, Columbus, Boston and have traveled extensively in my 53 years of life. I've found the South to have the most social interaction among different races and the least tension. We (black and white), in general, just ignore the media's and other regions' false stereotyping of us and treat each other as individuals instead of identity groups.

Some of the biggest surprises I've found here on C-D are those who want diversity, yet want to to live exclusively where your political beliefs are mirrored. I understand we are all drawn to social groups who believe like us. There's nothing wrong or biased about that, it's perfectly natural. But rejecting a whole region because they're not like us goes against the stand for "diversity" (including diversity if thought). There are lots of regional and religious stereotypes on here that are outdated, bigoted, and comes from very sheltered existences. Not saying you are necessarily in that group. Just that an alarming number of people on C-D seem to be. Mostly, feeling "accepted" will be how a person present themselves and come across to others. No person, community, or group is perfect. Flaws exist. But shying away from a group of people because of preconceived ideas will rob one of getting to know some wonderful people. The #1 rule is, we don't have to agree on everything. Please take this post in the spirit in which its intended. I'm not trying to lecture or be all-knowing, etc. I just think too many times there are a lot of misunderstands about what some people are all about (I as a Southern Christian see it on here almost daily) and we think we have to agree in dorder to love one another. I just want to dispel that so we CAN move to areas and not have it HAVE to be Liberal or Conservative to make us "feel accepted". Just "feeling" some way doesn't make it true. The way we choose to perceive things has to be considered. When we, as Conservatives, lived in the Boston area, we met great people and had no issues. I know a ton of people who are Liberal who come here and did well with Conservative people they met. As long as a person isn't a jerk and does the above, there are very few places in the nation (including the South) where you could have any issues. Sorry for rambling, lol. Just a lot of thoughts. Good luck wherever you land!
Beautiful post.

This increasing tendency to pigeonhole individuals into Us vs Them does not “make America great.” Or united. Both the major political parties engage in too much of this warring.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:01 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
OP hasn't posted since July of last year. Where or where did you end up, Jacqueline?

Old 03-20-2019, 04:10 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,256,609 times
Please. Do not come to Florida.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living