Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 11:23 PM

6,033 posts, read 4,382,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
No, you cannot just shoot someone's dog. That's a great way to get hauled into court.
I didn't say to shoot the dog. I said to tell the people hunting happens there and it can be dangerous. I would want to keep my dog out of anywhere people were hunting. And I would never shoot anyone's dog, but if it was a nuisance I would call animal control or whoever you call in your area. Here you call the police.

I understand fence jumpers, too. We have one and his owners have done all they can to keep the bugger in, but every now and then, there he is, all over the place. Because they're good neighbors and he drives them crazier than he drives me, I can't imagine calling the cops on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 01:31 AM

6,972 posts, read 4,808,519 times
Depending on what state you're in, if a stray dog is hassling your livestock, you can legally shoot the dog.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:12 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,565,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
No, you cannot just shoot someone's dog. That's a great way to get hauled into court.
Maybe in Florida. Anywhere in the West, you can shoot any dog harassing livestock or wildlife. It's sad if it comes to that, and lots of times you would rather shoot the owner. If you give it a ride to the pound it will probably die anyway, because anyone who lets their dog run other people's land doesn't give a rat's ass about the dog and won't bail it out.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:29 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,038,391 times
It sounds like there are a few issues:

1) The dog is barking, because it does not know you.

2) The dog is pooping on your property.

#1 is probably easier to resolve. If you are friendly to the dog, chances are the dog will stop barking at you. My neighborhood is teeming with dogs, and at most I get a "wuf", because I'm friendly with all the dogs.

#2 is more difficult. This requires discipline and maturity on the part of your neighbor. Have you tried talking to your neighbor?

Old 08-29-2018, 08:42 AM

13,254 posts, read 8,327,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Ummm ding dong your wrong. Love when people who don't hunt think they know the laws.
You can hunt whatever you want on your land so long as 1. It is in season, and 2. Your property is large enough, or far enough away from a dwelling.
Here in NY you can legally hunt deer with a bow no closer than 150 FEET, not yards, from a dwelling.

The problem is that the OP said he wants to hunt his land.

It doesn't matter if he wants to do yoga on his property. The fact remains the dog does not belong there, and the owners are being highly irresponsible to the point of breaking the law.
You let me know what city, town, or state has a law saying one can let their dog roam free through your property and poop there? Please let me know.

Guess what, there isn't. What there are however, are laws protecting property owners from said animals running a much there. Again, dog owners, please be responsible, keep your dog in YOUR yard, not mine, not my property.

Like I said, he has options. Catch the dog and drop it off at an animal shelter. Clearly the owners don't care enough about Fido.

Then there is always the SSS option, but you would indeed be breaking the law.
Ummm ...Gosh...and we were so looking forward to a civil remark. Missed that mark though...oh well. Since you know the "GENERAL" law of each state involving hunting, I'll leave it to you to share your inaccurate opinion riddled with errors. How is it clear to you when you are not there or given an interview with the dog owner? I like mental excercise...except for this jumping to conclusions, but lets leave the assumptions aside. My original statement holds true and the mature and civilized adult would place that into consideration.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:04 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,375,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
because anyone who lets their dog run other people's land doesn't give a rat's ass about the dog and won't bail it out.
No truer words.....

Old 08-29-2018, 09:23 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,375,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
The dog maybe intruding...but no you don't get to pop it or even haul it off to animal services. You do get to be civil and diplomatically address this with the neighbor. Dirt never has and never will be as valued as a family pet.
Lol no, you are still incorrect. If my statement is so flawed prove otherwise.
I believe you are the one "riddled with inaccuracies"
Like here....
"Generally, no. While you may own the land, the law in most jurisdictions is that you do not own the wild animals on it. ... It is not legal to hunt protected wild game on your own land unless the game is a threat or nuisance which threatens human safety, livestock or property.not true at all. You can indeed hunt animals that are in season on your own land, providing there is enough legal distance between you and another dwelling
The dog maybe intruding...but no you don't get to pop it or even haul it off to animal services. actually wrong again. You do indeed get to haul it off to animal services. There is a dog on your property. No one says, no one law stating it is your responsibility to find or contact the owner. That's called a courtesy. Sorry but you are letting your animal run free thru the world, that's uncourteous. And lastly, yes you do get to "pop" the animal if it is on your property and threatening you. I've got children, if there is a dog acting in a threatening manner and my kids are out there, I'm going to put it down.You do get to be civil and diplomatically address this with the neighbor. Dirt never has and never will be as valued as a family pet.
you are correct, dirt will never be valued as a pet, so please stop breaking the law, allowing your animal to trespass.

Oh yea one more thing, please show me where it states dogs can roam free?

Old 08-29-2018, 09:41 AM

1,201 posts, read 793,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Lol no, you are still incorrect. If my statement is so flawed prove otherwise.
I believe you are the one "riddled with inaccuracies"
Like here....
"Generally, no. While you may own the land, the law in most jurisdictions is that you do not own the wild animals on it. ... It is not legal to hunt protected wild game on your own land unless the game is a threat or nuisance which threatens human safety, livestock or property.not true at all. You can indeed hunt animals that are in season on your own land, providing there is enough legal distance between you and another dwelling
The dog maybe intruding...but no you don't get to pop it or even haul it off to animal services. actually wrong again. You do indeed get to haul it off to animal services. There is a dog on your property. No one says, no one law stating it is your responsibility to find or contact the owner. That's called a courtesy. Sorry but you are letting your animal run free thru the world, that's uncourteous. And lastly, yes you do get to "pop" the animal if it is on your property and threatening you. I've got children, if there is a dog acting in a threatening manner and my kids are out there, I'm going to put it down.You do get to be civil and diplomatically address this with the neighbor. Dirt never has and never will be as valued as a family pet.
you are correct, dirt will never be valued as a pet, so please stop breaking the law, allowing your animal to trespass.

Oh yea one more thing, please show me where it states dogs can roam free?
I can't rep you again!

Old 08-29-2018, 09:53 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,649,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I bought some wooded acreage for hunting which happens to be part of in a small rural neighborhood.
The neighborhood is very quiet, hardly ever see anyone there when I go there.
Recently, a new resident moved in across the road onto a (2 or 3-acre) parcel with a fixer upper small home.
I only seen him once just before he moved into the house but now I see his dog everytime I go to my property.
His dog pops up out of nowhere and barks at me like I'm the intruder. Pretty scary dog though because all I have to do is stop my feet and it runs off.
I don't like it running free onto my property because it can scare off deer and other wildlife.
I just put up game cameras this past weekend and what do I see but that miserable dog on my property at all different hours of the day and night.
It shows it taking a **** right where I see a deer in a previous video and right where I put out deer corn.
Before I saw the videos of the dog, I was just going to send an anomynous letter to the owner asking him to keep his dog under control and on his property but now I'm really peed off and am thinking of contacting animal control (sheriff's office) or worse.
Any suggestions?
Maybe I'm missing something, but why not first try going over and talking to the new neighbor and asking him to keep his dog off of your property? I can totally understand why you are upset about this situation and I don't blame you one bit for feeling the way you do. What I don't understand is why you wouldn't first talk to him and then if that doesn't work, you can move on to other options, such as contacting animal control, etc.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:35 AM

8,687 posts, read 4,923,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but why not first try going over and talking to the new neighbor and asking him to keep his dog off of your property? I can totally understand why you are upset about this situation and I don't blame you one bit for feeling the way you do. What I don't understand is why you wouldn't first talk to him and then if that doesn't work, you can move on to other options, such as contacting animal control, etc.
Some people just don`t have any common sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living