Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2018, 07:42 PM

18,755 posts, read 18,002,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Ours are out and about all year long. They especially hit our fishing pier (quite rightly) due to the imaginative fishing techniques and catch limits some of the fishermen have. I could throw the immigrant card here but we also have some watermen who take an imaginative outlook on fishing regulations, especially when they use pound nets.

We now have several full time County Animal Control officers who have a 7 day schedule. Thirty years ago when growth in the County took off we had an incredible problem with loose dogs. It seemed that every single person that moved here had to buy a dog and then let it run loose because, 'Well he's in the country". Animal control got serious when these domestic dogs turned feral and started running in packs. That culminated in the death of a ten year old pulled off his bicycle by a roaming pack and killed.

We also have the occasional owner death by mauling, usually by pits. Almost invariably the victim is older.

Because our dog wardens are so scarce; people have to do much of their own work to build a case against those that let their dogs run. That is why proper evidence is so important; like pictures and dates and times as well as other witnesses.

We get a lot of people that move to the country and have to have large or dangerous animals - some might be afraid of the bears eating them. That is until the insurance catches up to them when their dog bites somebody. We had one man that had two large German Shepard's and he use to like to let them run, On the other side of the hill from us the dogs ate a woman's cat. That was in front of her neighbor that happened to be a State Policeman. So it worked out for us and we did not have to worry about those dogs running again!

I am not sure how much the drug trade factors into people with large dogs? It is possible that sellers want a warning for people approaching or they want to discourage people from approaching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 08:07 PM

21 posts, read 24,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I bought some wooded acreage for hunting which happens to be part of in a small rural neighborhood.
The neighborhood is very quiet, hardly ever see anyone there when I go there.
Recently, a new resident moved in across the road onto a (2 or 3-acre) parcel with a fixer upper small home.
I only seen him once just before he moved into the house but now I see his dog everytime I go to my property.
His dog pops up out of nowhere and barks at me like I'm the intruder. Pretty scary dog though because all I have to do is stop my feet and it runs off.
I don't like it running free onto my property because it can scare off deer and other wildlife.
I just put up game cameras this past weekend and what do I see but that miserable dog on my property at all different hours of the day and night.
It shows it taking a **** right where I see a deer in a previous video and right where I put out deer corn.
Before I saw the videos of the dog, I was just going to send an anomynous letter to the owner asking him to keep his dog under control and on his property but now I'm really peed off and am thinking of contacting animal control (sheriff's office) or worse.
Any suggestions?
I haven't read all the responses yet, but I sure would have a different response that the ones I read. It is not the dogs fault and honestly if he comes to your house maybe his current situation isn't all that great and he would prefer to live with you. His popping up and barking might be how an untrained, lonely dog says hello. Sometimes animals pick their people even when they are not looking.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:53 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,616,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Because our dog wardens are so scarce; people have to do much of their own work to build a case against those that let their dogs run. That is why proper evidence is so important; like pictures and dates and times as well as other witnesses.

We get a lot of people that move to the country and have to have large or dangerous animals - some might be afraid of the bears eating them. That is until the insurance catches up to them when their dog bites somebody. We had one man that had two large German Shepard's and he use to like to let them run, On the other side of the hill from us the dogs ate a woman's cat. That was in front of her neighbor that happened to be a State Policeman. So it worked out for us and we did not have to worry about those dogs running again!

I am not sure how much the drug trade factors into people with large dogs? It is possible that sellers want a warning for people approaching or they want to discourage people from approaching?
I think pit bull owners often fall into two categories: Those who want to actually train and socialize a dog with a bad breed rep, and those who actively promote the aggression and bitiness—drug dealers. There is also some dogfighting still going on; a guy in our old town adopted a pit puppy who had been thrown in with a vicious adult one to “train†it to fight. The pup was lucky to be removed from that environment (after its ear was torn by the mean dog). With his new owner, who worked diligently to train him, he really blossomed into a happy, friendly pet.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth135 View Post
I haven't read all the responses yet, but I sure would have a different response that the ones I read. It is not the dogs fault and honestly if he comes to your house maybe his current situation isn't all that great and he would prefer to live with you. His popping up and barking might be how an untrained, lonely dog says hello. Sometimes animals pick their people even when they are not looking.
I do not buy this for one second. That dog is claiming the OP’s property as HIS turf.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:46 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,808,896 times
I did not realize deer baiting was legal anywhere in the US.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:07 AM

45,020 posts, read 60,017,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I did not realize deer baiting was legal anywhere in the US.
State Laws | Shock Effect Probiotics

Several states in the South allow the use of dogs for deer hunting.

The Dog-Hunting Debate

Several states, including Alaska, allow hunting for bear over bait, which creates more of an outcry.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:51 AM

18,443 posts, read 18,586,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If we can catch the dog, it gets a free ride to the dog pound. If we can't catch the dog, we shoot it.
You would shoot a pet ... why would you. jeezus talk about gun control.. no control..

Old 09-03-2018, 07:06 AM

3,455 posts, read 4,796,988 times
I wonder where the OP is located. In Alabama, in rural county areas there are no leash laws or animal control. It is normal for dogs to roam the open territory. You can call the police and they will tell you the same and not waste their time coming out since no law has been broken. However, if you shoot or kill someone's dog just because it is on your property it is a felony. This is all part of living/owning property out in the country.

What the OP probably doesn't realize is there are most likely coyotes in the area that can be a bigger problem than the dog. The dog is most likely keeping the coyotes away. Pick your poison....domesticated dog or wild coyotes possibly with rabies.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I wonder where the OP is located. In Alabama, in rural county areas there are no leash laws or animal control. It is normal for dogs to roam the open territory. You can call the police and they will tell you the same and not waste their time coming out since no law has been broken. However, if you shoot or kill someone's dog just because it is on your property it is a felony. This is all part of living/owning property out in the country.

What the OP probably doesn't realize is there are most likely coyotes in the area that can be a bigger problem than the dog. The dog is most likely keeping the coyotes away. Pick your poison....domesticated dog or wild coyotes possibly with rabies.
Pick your poison...domesticated dog with rabies and no fear of humans, or wild coyote.

I’ll take wild coyote or fox any day. If I want a dog to keep other canids away I will get my own dog and take care of it. Not some deadbeat neighbor stray that could be vicious.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:26 AM

18,755 posts, read 18,002,572 times
When I was a truck driver I saw many dead dogs on the sides of Southern roads over the years. You don't see too many up North and when there is one; people are very quick at removing it (treating it almost like a dead human). Of course that was ten, maybe fifteen, years ago and times might have changed?

I was once passed by a small flatbed truck, about a 12 foot bed, without side rails. It was going about 85 mph on a Texas Interstate and it had a loose dog in the back. The dog kept running from side to side and front to back while the truck sped away. I just had this feeling that they might treat their animals a little differently? It was actually the combination of seeing the dead ones on the sides of the road, the ones chained up by the houses and instances like the flatbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living