Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 05:02 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,551,005 times

Advertisements

I've been away from CD but have gotten back and looked at these postings, as I've been literally longing to move away from a large city for a variety of the reasons I think people have covered on this thread very thoroughy (and more). That said, one thing I've heard outside of this thread when we used to travel more to Colorado, and welcome any input on this, is...

Several people (good people) who moved high school students to a local HS in a smaller town, from a larger metro area, told me they were disappointed in the lack of activity options (unless your kid is really good at sports) and too much open spare time. That jobs for teens were scarce, and the kids tended go get into more trouble out of boredom in a small town. I don't know if this is actually true or just individual cases that I happened to hear about.

Any input welcome.

I also wondered if a single mom might feel less welcome in a smaller town than, perhaps, a mom and dad family.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 11:18 AM

154 posts, read 907,248 times
Quote:
I've been away from CD but have gotten back and looked at these postings, as I've been literally longing to move away from a large city for a variety of the reasons I think people have covered on this thread very thoroughy (and more). That said, one thing I've heard outside of this thread when we used to travel more to Colorado, and welcome any input on this, is...

Several people (good people) who moved high school students to a local HS in a smaller town, from a larger metro area, told me they were disappointed in the lack of activity options (unless your kid is really good at sports) and too much open spare time. That jobs for teens were scarce, and the kids tended go get into more trouble out of boredom in a small town. I don't know if this is actually true or just individual cases that I happened to hear about.

Any input welcome.

I also wondered if a single mom might feel less welcome in a smaller town than, perhaps, a mom and dad family.

Thanks.
I've had this same conversation with my husband. He grew up a small (25k population) midwest town, I grew up in a large metropolitan area in CA. So needless to say, our high schools and teenage activities were very different. I did a lot of things the city had to offer, movies, concerts, shopping, beach parties, skiing trips, etc. My husband on the other hand, did things that his town offered, hikes in the woods, weekend bbq's at the river, built treehouses, rope swings at the lake, bonfires etc.. Yes, I think in some small towns, if your kids are not involved in some sort activity, that they might be more likely to drink and smoke or get in to trouble in other ways, out of boredom. But, you can find things to do anywhere. My friends and I were always busy with activities in the city, but let me tell you, a lot of them got into trouble anyway! Punk teens are going to what they do no matter what size of town or city they are in. For teenagers out in the country, I think there are actually more wholesome things for them to do! Nothing funner than having a bbq at the river with a bonfire and playing music! I would choose that over spending tons of money seeing shows in the city and driving in traffic!

And about the single mom thing. I actually think a single parent might feel more welcomed right away in a small town. I think you would be more approachable, and people might be more likely to invite you into their circle of friends. Depends on where you go of course. But I know that most towns are welcoming, it just usually takes awhile for them to open up to newcomers. If they know you are a single mom, I bet they would have less reservations to come right up and say hello. One good thing about small towns is that the community likes to all help one another. Unlike in a big metropolitan area where no one really knows their neighbors and they really don't care to.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,299 times
I left a big Southern California city for college in West Texas. Ironically, the population is the same but the spacing is very different. I have to drive 25 mins to see my family "just down the road."

So far, the small town life is not suiting me ... I need to feel busy to stay happy. I feel like I have gone crazy with too much time on my hands. And by busy, I don't just mean the hustle & bustle of work and commuting. I love the outdoors and my CA home was 30 mins from whatever you wanted ... mountains, coast, desert. You name it, you can drive to it.

Out here, there are outdoor things to do but no one wants to! The truth is, small town folk like the slow life. As for me, I haven't figured out if I should transfer or finish my time ... it is dirt cheap to live and go to school in the Panhandle.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:40 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,345,510 times
Default Absolutely not

Oakland, CA population about 400,000 when I left (I think) to Floyd County, VA which in the 2010 census just topped 15,000 in the county. There is just one traffic light, twice as many cows as people and lots of dirt roads to enjoy going slow on.

Each July about 10,000 people come from all over to enjoy four days of music at FloydFest and on any weekend there are a number of live music (bluegrass mostly) music venues to choose from, some of it happening on the street downtown in nice weather. Plenty of local organic foods at decent prices at the farmers market.

Once I was not tied to a location by a need for work I retired to the country and could not be happier.

The only downside - nearest Chinese food is about 30 - 25 miles away, compared to half a dozen places with a mile or two of my house in CA.

The dogs love having 28 acres to roam around on and a long creek to cool off in on warm summer days, some snow to roll around in a few times each winter but a nice fireplace to enjoy for the first time in my life. In CA the only fires I got to sit beside were campfires WHEN the conditions allowed for a fire at all.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:51 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,251 posts, read 8,616,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
In CA the only fires I got to sit beside were campfires WHEN the conditions allowed for a fire at all.
Zugor;
Congratulations on your escape,
You'll be glad to know that the Bay Area Air Quality Managment District, along with the California Air Resources Board now tell us on which days we may have a fire in our own fireplaces....( yes these are the Brainiacs that were behind MTBE in our gasoline too)

Old 09-26-2011, 05:19 PM

3 posts, read 21,776 times
I visit my Son in DC & I find nothing close or easy that I can't get in less driving time in my small town. Too much traffic, squeezed into metro car elbow to elbow. Far too much noise. Crime! My Son laughed at me, sadly after living there for years he was struck in the back of the head with a steel bar, beaten & robbed by gang bangers who had come into his upscale part of the city to steal. Left for dead on the side walk. Luckily he will recover. I'll take my small town with my nice home, my cabin on 50 acres and my right to conceal & carry to protect myself.. Life, Where crime doesn't go unpunished. People care about their neighbors, not just their friends.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:47 AM

26 posts, read 91,969 times
Why not just go out and enjoy nature yourself! I walk by myself and my dogs daily....some days i run into other dog walkers and walk with them....but walking by yourself is very relaxing.
You can push yourself at your pace...so if you want to really push yourself hard you can with out anyone complaining!
But moving to small town...can be traumatic first months/year! I grew up in small towns..i like them, the friendly neighbors...people stop in town and ask about you etc.
so just go out and eventually i bet you meet like people!!

Old 09-27-2011, 12:55 AM

Favoritism happens everywhere! I seen in big cities and small towns...same with gossip..but in cities so many people you do not have reaction right in your face. i agree small town gossip is much harder to face...but going to work in large city...and people are gossiping about you..same thing it is hard to face.
I just looked at this way...at least i had a life!! lol!
But small towns are not for every one...thank God! I happen to enjoy the quiet....open space places to hike near by and the wild life.
If you are not happy i say move and go to larger city with more places for night life that you would enjoy!

Old 09-27-2011, 12:59 AM

You mean SF finally has to watch it burns? I Lived down there and all the yucky air would blow in the valley. They been limited to burn days for decades....sorry but i want the clean air. Even Tahoe limits the smoke from fires in homes....it just was getting to look like the Valley.
Move up here....only 3,000 ..build all the fires you want!! lol course you have to dig your way out when it snows....that is a pain!

Old 09-27-2011, 03:31 AM

7,964 posts, read 7,299,534 times
When she was growing up, especially in her teen years before she got her car, my daughter lamented living on the outskirts of a small town. It was within a half hour's walking distance of down town, but there were no movie theaters (unless you count the local drive-in), shopping malls, etc. After she married, she and her husband lived for years in an urban sprawl area with lots of malls, shopping, nightlife, restaurants, etc. He also grew up rurally. They bought their first house this summer and - you guessed it - it's in the COUNTRY. It's a lot more isolated than even our place. Their closest fast food options are a Subway and a Dairy Queen, ten miles away. They've had their fill of "civilization".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living