Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 05:42 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times

Advertisements

Lets try Presidio, Tx lower in the Big Bend area right on the Rio Grand River.

I do not know the living style you prefer but would be shocked if the Tx or NM locations were not significantly less expensive cost of living wise. I know weather seems to be more important to you than cost of living and leaving the familiar Ca.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 07:51 AM

1,377 posts, read 2,131,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
I don't know if you need work...that could really restrict your searches. However, Shoshone is a small town near Death Valley. I don't know (really rather doubt) that there is any work available there, although if you're a handy man, you might find some work there.
I heard that there is work either at the Death Valley NP or at the Furnace Creek Inn (in Furnace Creek).

I don't know, Shoshone seems pretty interesting to me. So do Furnace Creek, Indian Village, and Stovepipe Wells.

Last edited by Brandon Graves; 10-03-2018 at 08:29 AM..

Old 10-03-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Lets try Presidio, Tx lower in the Big Bend area right on the Rio Grand River.

I do not know the living style you prefer but would be shocked if the Tx or NM locations were not significantly less expensive cost of living wise. I know weather seems to be more important to you than cost of living and leaving the familiar Ca.
Honestly, Presidio, TX actually looks pretty decent. I don't think I would mind living there.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:37 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
There's also the giant meteor crater in AZ

Old 10-04-2018, 08:49 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
Ah, yes. Needles seems to have just about everything I would desire. A considerate amount of trees for a desert, lots of tamarisk trees, at least one grocery store, big-chain restaurants, etc., very high temperatures, isolation, it's pretty darn affordable, and even a railroad. ��

It has now been added to almost the very top of my list for my future relocation some day.
Have you ever been to Needles? It's a place that looks like it's seen better times. There are old abandoned houses around town. It's near some kind of resort area on the Colorado River; one gets the impression that Needles used to serve that area, when tourism was much stronger there. Gas, btw, is very expensive in town, but much cheaper across the state line, in AZ. Needles doesn't seem as isolated to me, as you might think, looking at a roadmap, due to the presence of numerous resort towns north and south of it, on the river. These days, it's mostly a truck stop, though.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Have you ever been to Needles? It's a place that looks like it's seen better times. There are old abandoned houses around town. It's near some kind of resort area on the Colorado River; one gets the impression that Needles used to serve that area, when tourism was much stronger there. Gas, btw, is very expensive in town, but much cheaper across the state line, in AZ. Needles doesn't seem as isolated to me, as you might think, looking at a roadmap, due to the presence of numerous resort towns north and south of it, on the river. These days, it's mostly a truck stop, though.
Are you talking about Lake Havasu City, AZ?

Honestly, I don't think I have ever been to, or, at least through, Needles before. However, from looking on Google Street View, Needles seems pretty alright to me. I really don't mind truck stop towns. I know at least several more of those. Barstow, Baker, Thousand Palms, Cabazon, etc. I have even lived in one twice in my life (Thousand Palms).

Old 10-04-2018, 10:01 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Listen to Jevetta Steele singing “I’m Calling You.” Head to Newberry Springs, CA, in the Mojave Desert. Watch the movie Bagdad Cafe.

More than 30 yrs ago I stopped there on a late afternoon in autumn to ride my bike. Pancake-flat on the road, but beautiful mountains (the Chocolate Mtns???) around. HOT. I think there was a railroad track parallel to the road. I was on my long longed-for cross country road trip, in a lonely search for another part of the country to live. It was a period of big changes for me, and sometimes I felt so lost inside.

A year or two later I saw the movie. The theme song is as mesmerizing as the desert itself, and the CD and DVD that I later bought never fail to transport me back to that one hot late afternoon and a time of both overwhelming sadness yet great freedom.

Last edited by pikabike; 10-04-2018 at 10:16 PM..

Old 10-05-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Listen to Jevetta Steele singing “I’m Calling You.” Head to Newberry Springs, CA, in the Mojave Desert. Watch the movie Bagdad Cafe.

More than 30 yrs ago I stopped there on a late afternoon in autumn to ride my bike. Pancake-flat on the road, but beautiful mountains (the Chocolate Mtns???) around. HOT. I think there was a railroad track parallel to the road. I was on my long longed-for cross country road trip, in a lonely search for another part of the country to live. It was a period of big changes for me, and sometimes I felt so lost inside.

A year or two later I saw the movie. The theme song is as mesmerizing as the desert itself, and the CD and DVD that I later bought never fail to transport me back to that one hot late afternoon and a time of both overwhelming sadness yet great freedom.
I'm personally not really into that kind of music. I am far more into contemporary Christian music (Christian rock, Christian hip-hop/rap, Christian pop) and hip-hop/rap (and also a bit of electronic, techno, and progressive house music).

Yes, Newberry Springs actually does seem to be pretty darn nice. I actually began to research on that town, and also Yermo and Daggett, which are nearby, over a year ago (via images, Street View, etc.). I am honestly quite interested in all of them.

I was recently thinking that if I do relocate out to that area (or, Needles, Baker, California City, Ridgecrest, etc.) someday, I will have to get myself an ATV to own, so that way, I can go about exploring all over vast miles and miles and MILES of open desert scattered with shrubbery and scrubland (with a little bit of trees)!

In addition, I could probably sit and watch all of the freight trains going through back and forth all day if I would want to!

So, for these reasons (and my other bits of criteria, as well), these areas are at the very top of my list for that kind of relocation in the distant future.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:55 PM

720 posts, read 806,174 times
Default Wickenburgis nice, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Wickenburg, AZ
I like Wickenburg and if I were forced to live in AZ, it’s a town I’d be interested in, but it’s not isolated.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:59 PM

720 posts, read 806,174 times
Default On occasion I’m still flooded by the same feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
a time of both overwhelming sadness yet great freedom.
Beautifully said.

I know that feeling. It’s rare and bittersweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living