U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 02:08 PM

955 posts, read 1,970,320 times

Advertisements

I see cell towers everywhere. Anyone have any experience with how much companies are willing to pay a landowner to allow them to put one up? I am within three miles of two US highways, and just wonder how one goes about seeing if there is any interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 09:17 PM

15,434 posts, read 27,909,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
I see cell towers everywhere. Anyone have any experience with how much companies are willing to pay a landowner to allow them to put one up? I am within three miles of two US highways, and just wonder how one goes about seeing if there is any interest.
We looked at a place that was on 40+ acres. There was a 99 year lease for a tower on the property and it brought in $977 / month. It was considered income and as such would have been taxable for us. There was a right of way on the property to the tower as well which would have made any future development or subdividing of the property difficult in this particular situation. We passed.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:44 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,649,017 times
There's lots of debate on RF radiation and its long term effects.
I don't know enough about it to make a recommendation but I know enough that I would not want to live next to one.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:56 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,923,658 times
If there are any neighbors within close proximity or in view of the tower, they would most likely not support the tower installation unless you paid them off. The permit and public hearing process can be quite long and drawn out in some places. Otherwise, why would they want to look at the tower out their window? Some cell towers in my area are disguised as fake palm trees, but there are also fake pine trees and all sorts of other disguises. They can even turn church steeples into cell towers complete with crosses.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:28 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,687,849 times
Many towers here in Minnesota.

A friend of mine has one 4 miles from me. He gets $500 per month on a 10 year contract.

They told him after 10 years it will be renewed or else taken down.

No need to contact them. They will contact you if they think your property is a desired spot.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:38 AM

2,446 posts, read 5,557,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Some cell towers in my area are disguised as fake palm trees, but there are also fake pine trees and all sorts of other disguises. They can even turn church steeples into cell towers complete with crosses.
Towers in camouflage :

YouTube - Cell Phone Towers In Disguise (CBS News)

A friend gets $1,000 per month and in 20 years he can negotiate with the carriers.
FAQ
Q

Old 04-13-2008, 02:23 AM

16,354 posts, read 13,802,435 times
There up in at about a half dozen places in my town. I wish they would paint them blue so they would look better against the sky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living