Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2019, 12:38 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
So much of this thread has been pointing out problems with rural areas and why they cannot be prosperous.

1: Most of these posts say Internet is the big problem. Satellite Internet, is available at acceptable speeds, anywhere in the United States, no matter where you are located. It can also add on good Phone service, via Internet. And it can also include satellite T.V. If for some reason you want it to appear you are located in major cities, you get satellite internet phone service with a number for that city at no extra cost.

2: Crime statistics for most parts of the rural areas, are far below what they are in any major city.
Satellite internet is not suitable for video conferencing or telephone service because the speed of light it too slow. It adds half a second to every ping and makes telephone conversations an exercise in talking over each other. Watch the remote reporters on national news sometime. In the field they use a satellite uplink for the feed. Remote reporters stand there looking stupid waiting to hear the anchor desk tell them to start.

I understand that cell providers are going to low earth orbit satellites rather than upgrading their tower network to 5g. It's going to require each cell provider to launch about 850 satellites. On the up side, they will offer true global coverage, and will be able to service customers in any country. Right now there's a lot of political/industrial sabotage going on, since the Chinese have 5g tech in the bag and everybody else is playing catch-up. The Chinese woman arrested in Canada on a US warrant is part of that game, as is the Japanese banning Chinese sales of 5g tech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 08:17 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
If you, as well as others, improve the quality of life to such a degree that rural America will have more paved roads, hard wired Internet access, along with good paying jobs, etc.,etc. the old saying will hold true;
build it and they will come, and rest assure, soon after they arrive, street lights will be on order.
You say that like its a good thing.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It's sad that people on this thread can't move beyond a senseless debate of city vs rural. That's not the point.

The issues of city living are well documented. People were not aware that rural areas are now facing many of the same issues, plus decreasing access to jobs and healthcare.

Do we want to discuss how to help those rural areas in need or just waste time arguing over city vs rural?
People who actually live in rural areas are aware of the issues and have been facing them for generations. There have always been employment issues. Many rural areas have seen jobs come and go, they have seen their young people move out for employment opportunities. I think I shared that in the years after WWII, in my rural area, the coal mines shut for good and with returning service men and no jobs many were forced to move to industrial areas. As years past some industry moved into the area creating new jobs. Then with NAFTA many large factories moved over the border leaving many unemployed. Presently we are seeing new business again and population growth. Some rural areas were not so lucky and never recovered. But again, nothing new.

As far as health care, Its better than it ever has been. Yes there are areas where hospitals have shut down. IMO the media makes that out to be worse than it is. Much is consolidation. Many small, rural hospitals cant compete with the hospitals in metro areas.

So how do you suggest we help rural areas experiencing increasing unemployment and limited access to state of the art healthcare, drugs and gangs, homelessness? How has say Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, Los Angeles tackled their issues?

Old 01-02-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think the original point was that it’s difficult to attract new industries and jobs when the infrastructure is so outdated. The fact is despite those who love these areas, they are poverty traps for generations. It is easy for those who don’t need jobs to say its just perfect the way it is” but if that were the case there would not be the degree of drug abuse, alcoholism and poverty for so many rural families.

And again, yes I know not all rural areas are poor, the article isn’t about those places.
And you have some degree of drug abuse, alcoholism and poverty in metropolitan areas. What is being done for those living in the ghettos and slums and impoverished areas of cities?

Old 01-02-2019, 09:00 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And you have some degree of drug abuse, alcoholism and poverty in metropolitan areas. What is being done for those living in the ghettos and slums and impoverished areas of cities?
This is not “city vs country, which is better”. I don’t know why people are taking this as an attack on rural America. I have no idea what’s being done about alcohol and drug abuse in metro areas, , what has that to do with anything? The people I work with who have these issues are in a poor rural area, so that is what my posts address.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:43 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
As the oil depletes, cars and diesel machines are scrapped, suburbs and megacities depopulate, and human labor replaces machinery, the farms and small towns recover. Lifestyle will be limited by local food, preserving food without refrigeration, daylight more than electric light, walking on foot or hoof instead of driving, etc.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is not “city vs country, which is better”. I don’t know why people are taking this as an attack on rural America. I have no idea what’s being done about alcohol and drug abuse in metro areas, , what has that to do with anything? The people I work with who have these issues are in a poor rural area, so that is what my posts address.
Because some are making it sound as though it is only a rural problem. The point is the exact same problems being pointed out that some small rural towns are dealing with are the exact same problems some areas of NOT small rural towns are dealing with. Addiction, poverty, unemployment. Why is it rural areas need help yet my question, what have the urban/metro areas done about their drug, alcohol, poverty, unemployment, migration issues has not been answered? Why is it these areas dont need *help*. Why isnt the question the USA has issues with drug addiction, alcohol use, poverty, homelessness, and unemployment and what can be done to help those affected by these issues?

As has been stated municipalities generally find a way attract new business and industry and create jobs through tax incentives, government grants, etc. If they fail to and even if they succeed some people will move away, some people will remain in poverty and unemployed. Not every small town is going to be revived.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:39 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
It's not a rural only problem. People are already aware of issues in big cities. People are not aware that these same problems are now in rural areas. People thought rural areas didn't have these problems.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It's not a rural only problem. People are already aware of issues in big cities. People are not aware that these same problems are now in rural areas. People thought rural areas didn't have these problems.
What people are not aware of addiction, poverty and unemployment in rural areas? The people that live there and have experienced it over the many decades or people living in metro areas.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:57 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You say that like its a good thing.
Quite the contrary, I was responding to post #124, with regard to urban/ suburban sprawling with the eventual development of rural landscapes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living