Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 03:32 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times

Advertisements

If you are looking to protect your livestock you will need a couple of dogs that were bred for that. Highly advise 2 because 1 dog can be attacked easier than 2
Maremma sheep dog
Mastiff
Akbash
Anatolian Shepherd
Pyrenees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 08:59 PM

6,864 posts, read 4,860,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
I’d have to add Bouvier to the list. Aubrey is one of the smartest dogs I’ve ever had. It’s almost like having another person around. I never have to tell him anything twice. He stays well away from the chickens and is the first one to hear a coyote and has chased off his share.

At one hundred thirty pounds, he grew a little larger than the breeder said (eighty) but he is very agile and no sign of hip problems. His lineage is from France and Belgium where these dogs have been helping farmers for centuries. His breeder who is also from that region, has showed Bouviers extensively and couldn’t have picked a better dog than Aubrey. He is a super smart and devoted boy.

I have allergies and Bouviers don’t shed. It’s easier to send him to the groomer than to brush out that sheepdog hair he grows.
We had a Bouvier. Best dog ever. I see you gave yours a close shave. Ours was a blonde with a black beard. He was about 120. He was pushing 14 when he died of bladder cancer. He would put our cats and any children in a big easy chair. We had to spell certain things because he had a pretty good vocabulary. No hip problems.

However, I would not let any dog wander around unsupervised in the country. I live in the country. Dogs chasing livestock or even chicken's get killed.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:44 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,390,589 times
best rural area dog is one that stays on your property! lol

Old 05-17-2019, 01:34 PM

561 posts, read 324,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Give me a short haired mixed breed with stand-up ears not floppy, light colored, with a minimum of aggressive traits, medium size. Female or neutered male.

I used to have a poodle and while she was a nearly perfect city dog, when she got in the country, the grass burrs in that thick curly coat were just a nightmare. I would also prefer never to have another dog with floppy earsl, due to ear infections. Especially bad with a thick coat.

A black dog really suffers in the summer sun and heat.
"Fly strike" is a threat to dogs with stand up ears. The damn flies would chew the edges of my poor Malamutes ears to pieces and she hated anything I put on to try repel the flys or protect her ears.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:19 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I don’t remember what WA law required, but CO is a free range state, often called a fence-out state. This is obviously a carryover from when ranching was more prevalent. The law was abused by a guy near our old neighborhood who would TRUCK OVER “his” cattle (they almost certainly belonged to someone he was charging grazing fees), truck them over a steep ridge between his home and our area, which he would then turn loose. People got sick of finding “his” assortment hanging out over septic leach fields, in driveways, u der building eaves, etc. Then he had the gall to suggest that we pay him to install a fence. Last I checked, he was running a “horse time-share” ownership program. Yeah, right.

We have no recourse that is under our control other than fencing the dogs out. In the city, there is a leash law, but not this county. Some counties do have a leash law throughout the county (our old one did).

I wish you luck in solving your dog problem. Or, more correctly, the owner problem.
I suppose it varies from state to state, but in Oregon free range areas a maverick belongs to whoever can catch it. If there is no brand or ear tag, it's your cow.

The best dog depends on what you want to do with it. I'm a bird hunter, so my current ideal dog is an English springer. She was a rescue and I don't know where she came from, but whoever bred her was a freaking genius. She is athletic, intelligent, has a tremendous nose, and retrieves fur or fowl. She loves water and will retrieve a duck or nutria as enthusiastically as a pheasant or jackrabbit. As a bonus, she is territorial and doesn't like strangers. On the down side, I would never let her loose around free range chickens.

Now that I'm in my 70s, I don't do puppies. I adopt rescue dogs because I don't want my dog to outlive me.

I have known some really nice pit bulls, but they are a terrier and you never know what will trigger their prey drive.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:34 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Adopt a dog, don't shop one.

There are adoption agencies for all breeds. I used to foster for a basset hound rescue group. Pure breed dogs are available for much less than a breeder would charge. People hand over dogs to rescue groups for all sort of reasons like: big dogs and apartments are a mistake, or dogs need exercise or whatever reason they have.
I got my two recent springers because her original owners dropped dead from a heart attack. It takes a little time to socialize a rescue to a new home, but nowhere near as much effort as training a puppy. Nursing and assisted living homes do not take dogs, so if the owner's health fails, off to rescue they go. I once got a Large Munsterlander (no kidding) because the owners got a divorce. They paid $2,000 for that dog and I got him for a $200 adoption fee.

Just give the dog time to settle in. My previous springer was homesick for months. Then one day he "got his sparkle back." It was like flipping a switch. He went from moping around to being a bundle of joy overnight.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:15 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I suppose it varies from state to state, but in Oregon free range areas a maverick belongs to whoever can catch it. If there is no brand or ear tag, it's your cow.

The best dog depends on what you want to do with it. I'm a bird hunter, so my current ideal dog is an English springer. She was a rescue and I don't know where she came from, but whoever bred her was a freaking genius. She is athletic, intelligent, has a tremendous nose, and retrieves fur or fowl. She loves water and will retrieve a duck or nutria as enthusiastically as a pheasant or jackrabbit. As a bonus, she is territorial and doesn't like strangers. On the down side, I would never let her loose around free range chickens.

Now that I'm in my 70s, I don't do puppies. I adopt rescue dogs because I don't want my dog to outlive me.

I have known some really nice pit bulls, but they are a terrier and you never know what will trigger their prey drive.
Laws and local ordinances such as the ones about animals at large might be used to fight negligent owners. CO does permit landowners to “take custody” of livestock on their property, which explains why most livestock owners try to keep those animals on their own land. I don’t think dogs are included in that category, or else owners might be more diligent.

Old 05-27-2019, 12:28 PM

682 posts, read 718,586 times
Mother Earth News magazine had an interesting article about what they consider the best livestock dog to have....
https://www.motherearthnews.com/home...n-zmaz82jfzglo

They also had this article about what they consider good breeds for a rural property
https://www.motherearthnews.com/home...stead-zbcz1811

Last edited by beckerd2; 05-27-2019 at 12:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living