Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2019, 11:29 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,100,828 times

Advertisements

My first memories are of our family's large ranch in the hill country of Texas. We lived there until the middle of elementary school - where we moved to the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Then right before middle school, we moved to a small sleepy suburb of Fort Worth - where I graduated high school, and my parents still live in the same little house 20 years later.

I LOVED being on the ranch. I enjoyed the city as well, but felt it was a different time than now, as I could go ride my bike around the neighborhood without my parents constantly worrying about me. But I really hated the suburb town of ~10,000 where they currently live. The first African American student who went to school there from 6-12 grade was in my senior year of high school. I went to school with the son of a Grand Dragon of the KKK - so that probably had something to do with it. I felt there was zero open minded people there, and no culture. I felt like if I stayed, I was expected to either become a teacher or get pregnant and married.

I couldn't get out of there fast enough when I graduated. Neither could my husband - who went to school in an equally small town down the road (we had rival high school football teams).

Fast forward a few years and once we graduate, we move to Houston for jobs. We've been here since 2001. We've lived all over the city - from near down town, to suburbia. Again - I liked the suburbs because that's where I made my friends, but in general I hated it. We moved to Europe from 2015-2017, and when we moved back, we agreed we didn't want to moved back to the suburbs...so we chose to move closer into the city.

We like the area we are in now - but overall, I cannot stop thinking about small town living. Not suburbs...But actual small town, like where I grew up on my ranch (a small town of roughly 2,000 people). I keep thinking my kids are missing out on the kind of childhood I grew up with. Seeing wild life in the wild - not in a zoo. How to take care of yourself because you need too - growing a garden, taking care of animals, etc.

I guess my question is - have you ever left a bigger city life for the small town life for the sake of your kids and family? If so, how did you find where moved to? And is it working out like you thought it would?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 03:06 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,505,526 times
We moved from suburban 50K to rural 800.
Not for our adult children but for us. When children were young we wanted rural life, but they kept insisting they didn't want to leave the neighborhood (60' + - from Quincy Bay, swimming, Yacht Club, beach life ), we stayed 27 years, retirement came and we moved to a warmer rural area of the Southland.
Problem today is parents are chasing career paths, and sometimes not living where they would like.
If job is a non issue and kids are on board...go for it!

Been living rural 5+ years, bought a mountain in the Blue Ridge; 65 acres with rare if not the best views around, love the Appalachian Mountain lifestyle.

The children, that's another story; they come for a visit along with Teen GC every 1 1/2 years + - or so, , we don't encourage them to visit, besides being a lot of work, and no help... we could care less.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
We moved from suburban 50K to rural 800.
Not for our adult children but for us. When children were young we wanted rural life, but they kept insisting they didn't want to leave the neighborhood (60' + - from Quincy Bay, swimming, Yacht Club, beach life ), we stayed 27 years, retirement came and we moved to a warmer rural area of the Southland.
Problem today is parents are chasing career paths, and sometimes not living where they would like.
If job is a non issue and kids are on board...go for it!

Been living rural 5+ years, bought a mountain in the Blue Ridge; 65 acres with rare if not the best views around, love the Appalachian Mountain lifestyle.

The children, that's another story; they come for a visit along with Teen GC every 1 1/2 years + - or so, , we don't encourage them to visit, besides being a lot of work, and no help... we could care less.
Well, my husband works in oil and gas, and has been with the same company for almost 20 years. He’s not totally happy doing what he’s doing, but he’s too afraid to quit and start something new. He has a good paying job, and I understand his hesitation. Just neither one of us really want to live where we are living. We would have stayed in Europe if wou could have - we absolutely LOVED living we were were over there. In a tiny village outside of a small town. It was a true Mayberry.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:28 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,505,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Well, my husband works in oil and gas, and has been with the same company for almost 20 years. He’s not totally happy doing what he’s doing, but he’s too afraid to quit and start something new. He has a good paying job, and I understand his hesitation. Just neither one of us really want to live where we are living. We would have stayed in Europe if wou could have - we absolutely LOVED living we were were over there. In a tiny village outside of a small town. It was a true Mayberry.
I know his feelings, sounds like we're talking, job stability, health care, along with pension, hard to walk away, hopefully the greener pastures are not far off.
All the best!

Old 03-19-2019, 10:36 PM

83 posts, read 43,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
My first memories are of our family's large ranch in the hill country of Texas. We lived there until the middle of elementary school - where we moved to the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Then right before middle school, we moved to a small sleepy suburb of Fort Worth - where I graduated high school, and my parents still live in the same little house 20 years later.

I LOVED being on the ranch. I enjoyed the city as well, but felt it was a different time than now, as I could go ride my bike around the neighborhood without my parents constantly worrying about me. But I really hated the suburb town of ~10,000 where they currently live. The first African American student who went to school there from 6-12 grade was in my senior year of high school. I went to school with the son of a Grand Dragon of the KKK - so that probably had something to do with it. I felt there was zero open minded people there, and no culture. I felt like if I stayed, I was expected to either become a teacher or get pregnant and married.

I couldn't get out of there fast enough when I graduated. Neither could my husband - who went to school in an equally small town down the road (we had rival high school football teams).

Fast forward a few years and once we graduate, we move to Houston for jobs. We've been here since 2001. We've lived all over the city - from near down town, to suburbia. Again - I liked the suburbs because that's where I made my friends, but in general I hated it. We moved to Europe from 2015-2017, and when we moved back, we agreed we didn't want to moved back to the suburbs...so we chose to move closer into the city.

We like the area we are in now - but overall, I cannot stop thinking about small town living. Not suburbs...But actual small town, like where I grew up on my ranch (a small town of roughly 2,000 people). I keep thinking my kids are missing out on the kind of childhood I grew up with. Seeing wild life in the wild - not in a zoo. How to take care of yourself because you need too - growing a garden, taking care of animals, etc.

I guess my question is - have you ever left a bigger city life for the small town life for the sake of your kids and family? If so, how did you find where moved to? And is it working out like you thought it would?
That was part of the reason we moved here.To give the kids a more natural life.
BUT we wanted an area which wasn't backwoods with a bunch of hillbillies so chose a town 100 full timers and of 3/4 of the homes are vacation homes. Lots of hikers on the PCT Trail stay in our town. Mtn Bikers, fisherman and snow-mobiles during winter. Folks here are pretty wealthy most with College Degrees so they aren't overly paranoid. Many have radios so hear much of what happens. We don't since I don't want to know. My wife and I are volunteer EMT's.

What it lacks is a good church and a half way decent grocery store. The one here can be closed for weeks during the snow and half the year is only open 2-3 days a week. There is no car wash and the cars get so dirty here over winter. Otherwise that's about all we miss. We are younger and poorer than most here so they are appreciative when I help. Dad is a Contractor so my handyman skills are developed. Many tip my wife very well at the local restaurant which is open only half the week during the winter, which is a full 5 months. The kids miss out on friends. There are only a few their age living here but her the summer, the friends come back again with their families to stay. They see a few close friends 4x per year for about a few weeks to a few months at a time. Small towns are hard on kids but they develop skills many do not have. You MUST get along with each other since you rely on one another. You MUST hold your tongue to some degree.
You must share and help others, or you won't fit in. You must appreciate nature and learn how to be self sufficient. Grow your own food, maybe butcher your own food. You must live naturally, in nature, as God intended. Around lakes, rivers, streams, mountains, hills, animals. We've re-habilitated a few birds and one bob cat. It's also easier to forge stronger bonds with people of all ages.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalFox. View Post
That was part of the reason we moved here.To give the kids a more natural life.
BUT we wanted an area which wasn't backwoods with a bunch of hillbillies so chose a town 100 full timers and of 3/4 of the homes are vacation homes. Lots of hikers on the PCT Trail stay in our town. Mtn Bikers, fisherman and snow-mobiles during winter. Folks here are pretty wealthy most with College Degrees so they aren't overly paranoid. Many have radios so hear much of what happens. We don't since I don't want to know. My wife and I are volunteer EMT's.

What it lacks is a good church and a half way decent grocery store. The one here can be closed for weeks during the snow and half the year is only open 2-3 days a week. There is no car wash and the cars get so dirty here over winter. Otherwise that's about all we miss. We are younger and poorer than most here so they are appreciative when I help. Dad is a Contractor so my handyman skills are developed. Many tip my wife very well at the local restaurant which is open only half the week during the winter, which is a full 5 months. The kids miss out on friends. There are only a few their age living here but her the summer, the friends come back again with their families to stay. They see a few close friends 4x per year for about a few weeks to a few months at a time. Small towns are hard on kids but they develop skills many do not have. You MUST get along with each other since you rely on one another. You MUST hold your tongue to some degree.
You must share and help others, or you won't fit in. You must appreciate nature and learn how to be self sufficient. Grow your own food, maybe butcher your own food. You must live naturally, in nature, as God intended. Around lakes, rivers, streams, mountains, hills, animals. We've re-habilitated a few birds and one bob cat. It's also easier to forge stronger bonds with people of all ages.
I love your story! Can I ask how you went about finding where are now?

Old 03-23-2019, 10:02 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,084,598 times
Yes, yes and yes. We lived in a city... moved to a small town (about 8k) to raise our kids in that atmosphere. It was great for the kids (who are now 42 and 38). They never hesitate to tell me now how glad they are that they grew up where they did. They had more of a childhood like I did, which I thought was pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living