Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 07:33 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
No, it just says it cannot identify the specific contributory factors that in tandem create the issue in a manner that could be addressed to mitigate the effects.

In other words, they know it happens, they don't know how to fix it through manipulating specific factors that combine to create the problem.
Maybe they don't want to.

There are certain conditions in the city that it is clear there are forces at play that keep things they way that they are. Someone is profiting off of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 09:31 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Someone has probably mentioned this. Aren't suicide rates quite high in rural areas?

Old 08-25-2019, 07:20 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
When I lived in a small town, I grew up realizing that in order for us to have a baseball team....sometimes we need the smelly kid to be the 9th player. I also wasn't the world's greatest piano player, but lots of people thanked me for having piano at the church service when there otherwise wouldn't have been any.

In a small town, there are lots of ways to contribute. A lower expectation of perfection and as such, more teamwork to get something accomplished. In the workplace, you're more likely to groom someone who has potential as opposed to simply look for a non-existent person with all the experience already. You can gain a pretty good idea as to where you are in a small town. You can have many opportunities to grow.

Here, the kids that play baseball have helicopter parents specializing their kids in it from a very early age. The churches hire professional choirs to perform. At work, if someone isn't exactly what you want, they become a replaceable part. No development needed....just get someone else.

People fall through the cracks here in the Valley all the time. You and your spouse maybe both have $100K jobs, but if one loses theirs and you're paying down the remaining $800K of a mortgage, you're in a very tight spot. You will lose your home if the other doesn't find a job. To keep the job, you may need to put up with bosses or coworkers you don't like. You may go a long time until you finally feel "safe" that things have worked out and you're going to be ok. One banker noted that he didn't have any "friends" that didn't owe him money. I told him he was being a bit cynical. He told me I was being a bit naive.

Now, I didn't witness the same in Chicago, which certainly has a higher murder rate, but I think there was still plenty of angst there about finding their place for self-attainment as opposed to survival here. Of course, Chicago is more melting pot and less salad bowl. I think people had more respect for one another there. It could just be anecdotes though. Of course, in looking closer at where the actual murders happen in Chicago, there's some neighborhoods that truly make up the bulk of the number. I couldn't tell you a thing about any of them. Never a reason to visit.

I wouldn't conclude that small towns are more sane than big cities though. I think it's more likely that small towns have a broader scope of acceptable behavior, and that gets narrower as population density increases, but they main trigger to start psychosis is stress. If a group was being bullied in a small town, I would imagine mental illness stems from there quickly because there's no getting away. As for living in the City, you have more stress sources. Crazy neighbors/roommates, financial sources, shared resources, indifferent institutions...if these are problematic for you, your survival may be in jeopardy. That's hard on anyone's psyche.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:51 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
How the city hurts your brain - The Boston Globe

It seems to me that when you put any creature in a habitat it did not evolve to live in, it creates problems. Instead of living in natural surroundings with lots of space and few people around, people in cities are living in highly unnatural spaces crowded with strangers, many of whom are downright hostile towards each other.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:47 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post

It seems to me that when you put any creature in a habitat it did not evolve to live in, it creates problems. Instead of living in natural surroundings with lots of space and few people around, people in cities are living in highly unnatural spaces crowded with strangers, many of whom are downright hostile towards each other.
Excellent article!!

Than k s for sharing.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:12 AM

99 posts, read 70,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post

A fascinating read. Good find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living