Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 10:06 AM

99 posts, read 70,187 times

Advertisements

This recent peer reviewed paper showed up as a reference in an article I was skimming so I gave it a read.
The abstract I will list below. My apologies for not linking to the full text but it's behind a paywall (oddly my grad school credentials still work) :https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31389169

I vaguely remember this being discussed in an undergrad intro psychology class I took as a Gen Ed, but not in any sort of depth.

So, this begs the question, why do people in cities go nuts at a disproportionately higher rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 10:28 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,572,193 times
I know when I had to live in a city, I was never so lonely in my life. People all around you, people you talked to, worked with, interacted with, but there was always a wall. People seemed to be completely self absorbed in their own little worlds, and only briefly acknowledged others they came in contact with.

I was raised very country where your neighbors were family. You worked with each other, shared resources, went to functions together, shared births, deaths, marriages, you shared your lives and it's joys and sorrows. You depended on each other.

In a city, if you want to move, you hire someone. If you need help with a job, you hire someone. If you feel sad, you go to a therapist. If you need advice on your finances, you hire a financial advisor. Someone to watch the kids? There's a daycare. Tinker on your car? Go to the mechanic.

The only times you interact with other people in a city it seems it's because you're paying them.

The psychological isolation of a city is a mind killer. I don't blame people that live there for going off the deep end.

I moved back to the country and I've reconnected with people again. I've never been happier.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:56 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,026,013 times
I read another study that said people in urban areas were more intelligent than rural dwellers.
Not saying there is a connection between psychosis and intelligence.
I'm rural and intelligent (no psychosis), not attracted to big cities, tried one didn't like it.
Also don't like very small towns where everyone knows everything, a little anonymity is nice.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:05 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I read another study that said people in urban areas were more intelligent than rural dwellers.
I would imagine that's because higher paying skilled jobs are located in cities and they draw more of the educated people away from the rural areas.
As far as why do people go nuts more often in cities, I firmly believe that in spite of being social creatures people really aren't wired to live on top of each other in very dense areas. It's too competitive and creates undue tension and stress on a lot of people.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:29 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
It's obvious to me that it is much more stressful being in an urban area.

But I also think it's highly likely that urban people are much more likely to be measured than rural people.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 08-22-2019 at 05:45 PM..

Old 08-22-2019, 05:58 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
There’s no mystery. Potentially crazy people move to the cities when they can’t cope in rural areas and when things don’t improve they act out and come to the attention of police or mental health professionals. They just are considered odd and have less access to services in rural areas. You will also notice, if you frequent major cities, that there are scores of homeless people in the cities. Many of them are transients with mental health issues.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:39 PM

927 posts, read 757,670 times
Pollution makes you stupid and in LA fast food is seen as a normal meal

Old 08-23-2019, 04:03 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,830,041 times
I do not believe this.

I think that urban dwellers have more access to mental health services.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:14 AM

411 posts, read 415,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I know when I had to live in a city, I was never so lonely in my life. People all around you, people you talked to, worked with, interacted with, but there was always a wall. People seemed to be completely self absorbed in their own little worlds, and only briefly acknowledged others they came in contact with.

I was raised very country where your neighbors were family. You worked with each other, shared resources, went to functions together, shared births, deaths, marriages, you shared your lives and it's joys and sorrows. You depended on each other.

In a city, if you want to move, you hire someone. If you need help with a job, you hire someone. If you feel sad, you go to a therapist. If you need advice on your finances, you hire a financial advisor. Someone to watch the kids? There's a daycare. Tinker on your car? Go to the mechanic.

The only times you interact with other people in a city it seems it's because you're paying them.

The psychological isolation of a city is a mind killer. I don't blame people that live there for going off the deep end.

I moved back to the country and I've reconnected with people again. I've never been happier.
This.

Plus, a lotta talk about inclusiveness, yet little acceptance for people that are a little offbeat. Certain behaviours and mannerisms can make you a magnet for assault and crime, which exacerbates isolation. Politics has embedded itself into everything like the tentacles of a box jellyfish. Very claustrophobic. If you can successfully shut that all out, and be successful without a solid foundation, you're likely to be dancing on the edge of sanity.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:59 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,426,066 times
One word...Philly. 'nuf said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living