Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Staying in the City: city best, simple living, moving to a small town, development area, rural areas,

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 08:11 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
There's a big difference between people who truly want to live, and adopt, a rural lifestyle suited to the area they choose, and those who want to "escape" the city but bring their city lifestyle/attitudes with them, and then try to turn the new area into what they left behind.
chuckling here reminded of some campers who brought a miniature version of their home for a weekend getaway. I called it the condo of camps. They were on the cell phone calling all their freinds bragging about being in the wild. Too bad they forgot matches for that gas grill. ROFL

mostly i think city dwellers know they're very far away from real life, but are unaware of the real skills rural folks mastered. How much do we all take for granted, if you think about it?
Hunting is not as simple as pulling a trigger, farming isn't as simple as showing up for harvest, and their interpretation of a hill is 'nothingness' because there isn't a development in concrete. They don't recognize boundaries the same way. Their experience has no vocabulary for it, so it's either educate them or suffer their ignorance.

Remember, what draws people there is your asset, and being clear about the value of that is crucial. How can you teach it if you aren't clear about it yourself? They don't mean ill, they just don't know any other way. Some of those wannabe hunters have a notion in their head the law doesn't apply there, 'wilderness' is the place to blow off steam outside civilization, make noise, get crazy. Their immature version of being a guy? Perhaps NRA and local permit process should require an education before they go barreling off in the woods. Yahoos only hurt the truly responsible sportsmen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 09:27 AM

431 posts, read 1,641,278 times
I think that all hunters need to take a hunters safty class even if it is just as a refresher course. we have some hunters by us that will drive your land just because and don't feel that they need your permission, thank goodness they don't cross the highway and come onto our land. We do how ever have horses so that may have something to do with it.

If city people want to move to the county then they must embrace the lifestyle of country living. We work hard all day, we do our chores,try to spend time with our families cause we can not really go on a vacation because somebody needs to feed our animals take care of our crops, make sure the equipment is in working order and that none of the fences are down (I don't like chasing horses back to the farm). And the developers who are buying up all the farmland just to make a buck and put the farmers on the endangered list.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:15 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I think you should stay wherever it is you are BORN. No moving out of county, much less the state.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I think you should stay wherever it is you are BORN. No moving out of county, much less the state.
Well, not sure I can agree with that caste system because it doesn't account for talents/abilities, but I respect your right to speak your mind.

I think whomever is geared to city life should live there, rurally orientated please live happily ever rural, and the two extremes should have enough awareness of counterpart to maintain mutual respect & enjoy the blessings of all talents.

Some believe we're all god's children, others are convinced they're an only child. The later tends to not play well with others.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:03 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Well, not sure I can agree with that caste system because it doesn't account for talents/abilities, but I respect your right to speak your mind.

I think whomever is geared to city life should live there, rurally orientated please live happily ever rural, and the two extremes should have enough awareness of counterpart to maintain mutual respect & enjoy the blessings of all talents.

Some believe we're all god's children, others are convinced they're an only child. The later tends to not play well with others.
Ditto! You must be a poet at heart!

Old 05-10-2008, 04:10 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali&ajsmom View Post
I think that all hunters need to take a hunters safty class even if it is just as a refresher course. we have some hunters by us that will drive your land just because and don't feel that they need your permission, thank goodness they don't cross the highway and come onto our land. We do how ever have horses so that may have something to do with it.

If city people want to move to the county then they must embrace the lifestyle of country living. We work hard all day, we do our chores,try to spend time with our families cause we can not really go on a vacation because somebody needs to feed our animals take care of our crops, make sure the equipment is in working order and that none of the fences are down (I don't like chasing horses back to the farm). And the developers who are buying up all the farmland just to make a buck and put the farmers on the endangered list.
In some states if private land is not posted it's entirely legal for hunters to be there. I don't think I agree with it entirely (sometimes animals that have been shot wander onto private land and I think that is a valid exception, to recover the animal) and I wouldn't feel quite right hunting on someone else's land without their permission...

Old 05-10-2008, 06:27 PM

awwww, SEE. ty for compliment

arctic- Believe it or not there are folks in this day and age who don't comprehend that the land has already been measured and accounted for, land grab ended long ago, and that someones name is on the deed for all square footage in some abstract book they don't know exists. They genuinely are oblivious, as if in times of native indians, who couldn't grasp the bizarre notion that a mountain could be owned by a single person.
Nature is all free to them, and they don't think about why they shouldn't be cutting down a tree in national park before they do it. They think about that after, or when the park ranger taps them on the shoulder. Theft? I was just sharing some heat with the shivering squirrels over there officer. rofl I wish park rangers would write a book of all the lame brained excuses they've heard.

Privately held land thats undeveloped: folks don't see it as walking on someones lawn or stealing their game. They see it as if they found $20 on the street and it's nobody's, so it's theirs. I've seen suburbanites do this more than city folk. They just don't know how to act, they don't mean to offend. It's citified ignorance. It needs education at a young age, and I don't mean a bus tour past a cow patch. What percent of their population knows anything about bears beyond a yogi cartoon? See my meaning?

How about a suburban mom and daughter gathering leaves for a crafty martha stewart wreath, only to be told they were harvesting poison ivy? True story.

"If this were your yard, you'd have a picket fence around it like I do at my house. How can you say I'm tresspassing without a picket fence? There aren't concrete sidewalk boundaries, so it must be all public property." See how that silly brain works? They think in terms of city lots or an acre to mow, the rest has no definition to them. Some have no clue that there are hunting seasons. It's never existed on their calendars. City boys see an episode of dukes of hazard so they fantasize a while, then go up one weekend with uncle charlies ornamental rusty musket thinking they're hunters because they saw it on TV. Permit? License? Season? Huh?

Your wildcrafted garden, when viewed through their eyes, are odd weeds on a hill they've never seen before, assuming they saw it at all before they walked through it. They've been so far removed from nature for 3 + generations that it's alien to them. Puts a new spin on why teens might be leaning so hard toward xtreme sports. Life too abstracted has a price hard to recognize. See them as having an illness they're unaware of, but part of them knows, which is what brought them in the first place even if they can't say why.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:39 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
This brochure (copyrighted, but I have permission to link to it) is applicable to this discussion, I think.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:11 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post

Doesn't EVERY place have a home for every ability or talent out there? I'm a big believer in working near where you live.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:25 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Doesn't EVERY place have a home for every ability or talent out there? I'm a big believer in working near where you live.
If we're on the same page here, the short answer is no. In fact, I'm not even sure what you're saying. So, I'm kind of guessing here.

If a child has a superior ability to sing classical music (opera, etc.) should they remain in, let's say, Burns, Oregon () rather then getting a solid classical education? Which would, of course, require moving a very long distance away. Or, the same with innate musical ability, mathermatical intelligence, etc.? And if, after receiving an education, would a small 'local' hospital be able to support the equipment and personnel to have neurological surgeons on hand?

I've always lived where I work, and I think most people do. Never had the kind of job where you fly off to europe, give a speech, and then head home.
Doesn't even sound like fun to me!

People looking for jobs, furthering their education, or trying to build a decent life (like not starving & getting an education) for their families is an acceptable thing in my book. No matter where they come from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living