Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 04:05 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,357 times

Advertisements

If all the areas they move to seem bad, there may be a common denominator.

Like they say: No matter where you move...there you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2021, 07:22 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post

Now I want to play Taipei. That was one of quotes you got after winning a game. I had to give up my 16-bit games after I went to a 64-bit operating system.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:19 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
... I wonder if a number of these people will ever be content..wherever they settle, and will probably keep looking for a place that may not even exist.
Having spent 20 years in the US Navy we moved around a lot, I think that expended any wanderlust that we may have had.

I can understand people who have never had to opportunity to explore may still have that need even in their retirement.

My father was a snowbird for 30 years living in a fifth-wheel trailer traveling the Southern states in the winters and the Northern states in the summers.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:50 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I have moved 8 times in my life. That seems to be a low number, on average. The last time was at 65 years old, and 1000 miles. There is always a learning curve when we move. For some that can be a burden but I found it stimulating to figure out new things. Much of it was very new, as was living in the desert. After 8 years I'm still learning. I plan on this being my last move. I think that the stimulation and learning curve is beneficial for some folks.

I know some people are never happy and move from place to place, like it for about an hour, and then start finding problems and soon are bad-mouthing the place and can't wait to move. You see them posting on CD with unsolicited testimonials of how awful a place is.

Edit-- BTW, OP, my grandpa was born in So. Apalachin.

Last edited by SunGrins; 12-12-2021 at 09:22 PM..

Old 12-13-2021, 06:44 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post

There is a LOT of truth in that statement.

However, as a forester I have lived and worked across the entire western US.

Smaller towns ARE different. They are not at all like big cities, which are pretty much the same no matter where you live.

There are great small towns, and quite of few of those have now become small cities!!! A couple are now well on the way to pretty large metro status.

I remember in the 1970's trying to move to Boise. Friends laughing at me for wanting to live in Boise. These days, I don't want to live in Boise, but quite a few of my friends live there!!!

The perfect place is different for everybody. The worse part, is that these days, the perfect place is unlikely to remain the perfect place as urban refugees flood out over the landscape.

Choose carefully, and wisely. Just because a place is nice to visit, doesn't make it a nice place to live.

I know, I lived in Coeur d'Alene in the 1970's.

Old 12-14-2021, 03:59 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,357 times
I almost don't want to say this, as life has a way of saying "Oh yeah??" But I think we found our perfect retirement place! The largest town close to us is pop 1365, and about 4 miles away. Jumping on my motorcycle to run errands is a delight with no traffic. I now know a lot of the business proprietors by their first names, am now friends with the building code inspectors, but we don't know our neighbors yet, they're rather far away. I am happy to say that the town will not grow much during our final years; there just isn't much infrastructure- but it is a great little town! This is exactly what we were looking for- and as far as I'm concerned, we picked the best possible spot for us to kick our respective buckets!

Old 12-16-2021, 07:28 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
The source of that quote (which is slightly Buddhist in nature):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJCZbXqbkBc

Old 12-17-2021, 10:06 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
There is no such thing as a perfect place, except in that moment or other short term.

People change, climate changes, rules and regs and ordinances change. You can’t control everything to keep it “perfect.”

Old 12-17-2021, 02:09 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
I have posted on the site for a good number of years now. I live in a rural part of upstate NY. I have noticed a trend in this forum and would like to comment on it. Perhaps the experience of a (soon to leave) neighbor prompted this. This couple originally lived on Long Island, then to Florida, next to Vermont, and currently down the road from my farm. As mentioned in a post on the NY forum, I stopped to talk to him as a realtor sign was in front of their property. They moved here almost 4 years ago. New house, pool, horse barn and fencing...etc....Now my understanding is the husband works from home and they are "well funded". When I first met them, they were sure they had found the right place..rural..but not too from all the urban "stuff", 4 seasons, and so on. Well....he now told me this area wasen't exactly what they were searching for. They are now moving to Idaho, which he says has the right "vibe" ( I have come to cringe at that word). If folks can afford to keep moving, the only reason being to find that "right" place..fine..that's their business. But looking at posts from people across the various state sections on here, I wonder if a number of these people will ever be content..wherever they settle, and will probably keep looking for a place that may not even exist.
As someone who has been moving around for about 45 years now, I understand there is no perfect place. I think some people just like moving around. You really don't need a lot of money to do it. The country is a big place, and I think the wanderlust keeps us moving. I did the same with jobs. Retired, we just moved to a city for that purpose, and I plan to leave in the spring. My husband has returned to where he grew up, his dream. Not my dream.

"Rolling stones gather no moss." I don't think it has all that much to do with finding the perfect place at all. Sampling the country to see what is out there. Utopia does not exist, and we do know that.

The gypsy spirit shouldn't be contained.

Old 12-17-2021, 03:56 PM

50 posts, read 37,563 times
"Why do they move?"

Someone talks down about people who move... that shows their slave mentality. Sit where you are, don't go anywhere, that's what feudals and slave owners used to say.
America was populated by Europeans who, you know, had moved and kept moving, instead of sitting on their rear ends.
Someone should get over people exercising their rights to free movement, it's a free country.

Last edited by castlelake; 12-17-2021 at 04:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living