U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 04:24 AM

46 posts, read 167,623 times

Advertisements

i'm frenchie, nobody is perfect

my wife is a LA girl. she wants sun, convinience of this Big city. but for me LA is traffic stuck, pollution, and taxes, housing too much expensive

So i would like to find a win win solution for a place, sunny from april to september, and lot's of snow during winter.

i 'm thinking of castle rock CO, or somewhere in montana North dakota

I'd rather like a small tiny town, where all people know each other, crime is very low, and taxes or property taxes are good

if you have any suggestions

then ; do you know some places where i can buy a cottage in the mountain around the nature with just the silence of the snow and animals around you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 11:46 AM

2,909 posts, read 13,099,692 times
Oil city is my top choice(for me too) theres lots of good choices in PA, OH and WV. Montana is too expensive and cold, ditto for Wyoming. Colorado isnt as cold but still expensive. I think you may be able to find something affordable in south Dakota, ill have to look into it more. I dont like big cities because of crime, pollution, traffic and high costs of living

Old 01-04-2007, 01:35 PM

3,160 posts, read 8,208,511 times
Isn't Oil City an economically depressed town in Pennsylvania, or is there another Oil City somewhere? I can't imagine Oil City, PA would really be anyones dream destination unless you had family or some other ties there.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:58 PM

2,909 posts, read 13,099,692 times
I will check Oil city, PA and many other cities and towns in the tristate PA, WV, OH area. Id rather live in a town or small city than west palm beach, this is why im moving out. Too much crime, pollution, traffic and expensive

Old 01-04-2007, 02:14 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,524,519 times
Quote:
Oil City: Land area: 4.5 square miles
Is that right? Good LORD.. talk about a small town!

Old 01-04-2007, 02:37 PM

511 posts, read 1,598,503 times
When are you moving there NAH? Have you considered towns like Burlington, VT, or parts of New Hampshire?

Old 01-04-2007, 06:16 PM

6,046 posts, read 21,932,831 times
How about the NYC metro area? New Jersey gets all 4 seasons (sun for her, snow for you), and the taxes and cost of living will seem cheap to you after living in California. There are plenty of smaller towns to choose from in NJ, but you will still have the convenience of NYC. You could then vacation in the Poconos (a 2-3 hour drive), buy a cabin in the mountains and watch the snow fall, if you like. If NJ is still too expensive for your tastes, then you could consider the Philadelphia area. The surrounding metro/rural areas are very nice, plenty of tiny towns to consider, also have all 4 seasons, near the Poconos for vacationing, with city amenities.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:40 PM

24 posts, read 135,936 times
Salut Frenchie. I assume you want to stay in the United States. Otherwise I would suggest to you something like the Massif Central or Normandie which can be quite lovely for cottages and chateaux. The problem is in France and I just came back from living there for several months that almost all of the jobs are in Ile-de-France which I wouldnt wish on my worst enemy if I was looking for peace and tranquillity. Porte Maillot in the morning or the metro trains are the furthest thing from tranquility and small town living that I could possibly think of. With the exception of lunching, nice parks, and weekends, I found life there to be pretty stressful. There are some nice finds there like Chaville, St-Leu-la-ForĂȘt, and the Val de Chevreuse -- all pricey but I will now answer your question in the states.

The weather in the US is very extreme. You will not get mild winters like in France in Montana, North Dakota, or where I will suggest to you now is Minnesota. I think you should check out Duluth, Minnesota. It is perfect weather in the summer-- gorgeous hills overlooking Lake Superior from 100-200m high but it is cold (bitterly in the winter) almost like Russia. It is lush and green all year with pine trees and not insanely expensive like Colorado. There is also Minneapolis (less cold)and some great small townish suburbs like White Bear Lake or Minnetonka with lakes etc. This would compromise with your wife. In Minneapolis there is Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, the Opera, fine restaurants and plays, everything you would want with LA.

Minnesota has mountains as well as northern Ontario. Buy a cottage near Thunder Bay Ontario or along the drive up Lake Superior from Duluth. The pine trees, views, and nature are fabulous and there is skiing. The prices are not too bad either. Good luck with your search and hope you are enjoying it in America.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:17 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,163,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
i'm frenchie, nobody is perfect

my wife is a LA girl. she wants sun, convinience of this Big city. but for me LA is traffic stuck, pollution, and taxes, housing too much expensive

So i would like to find a win win solution for a place, sunny from april to september, and lot's of snow during winter.

i 'm thinking of castle rock CO, or somewhere in montana North dakota

I'd rather like a small tiny town, where all people know each other, crime is very low, and taxes or property taxes are good

if you have any suggestions

then ; do you know some places where i can buy a cottage in the mountain around the nature with just the silence of the snow and animals around you
Your introduction is so.. disarming I like it!

I see Colorado in what you are describing. They get lots of sun in the summer months, and as is the case now, they get their fair share of snow in the winter. I would think that if you moved in the general area of Denver, you could find a smallish town that's close enough to the city for your wife. It's also not as expensive as LA.

Good luck in your search.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:08 PM

1,330 posts, read 4,684,180 times
I'll stick out my neck and say Santa Fe NM. It might not be a huge city but it has a wonderful climate with 4 seasons and also access to nature and peace and quiet. You could run away up to Taos and the Red River Valley to your cottage in the mountains while she shops in SF LOL!

Flagstaff AZ might also be an option but I don't know how much snow they get nowadays or if there are any deer up that way. Nice city tho. And I think that there is just the one big mountain there, a dormant volcano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living