Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 10:26 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Forgive me for ignorance, but what good does it do you to have the router working in your house if all the power is out in the neighborhood? I mean, when power goes here, the cable is out also, usually because a pole has been taken out by a tree and they're all on the same pole.

But maybe you have different cable poles/underground/satellite or whatever.

I just wanted to know if I was missing something.
Now I have Starlink satellite, my dish sometimes goes through upstate New York and sometimes via Maine, so we'd need a huge multi-state outage for the satellite Internet to go down.

We have at least a couple long power outages each winter, usually entire neighborhood loses power, or even larger regions. Even when it is just the local power lines, usually a tree branch falls onto the power wires (at the top of the pole) and shorts them out, but doesn't break those and tear out the cable TV and phone lines (which are closer to ground level).

Before I got Starlink, my cable Internet and TV would keep working for the first two days of the power outage. After two days it seems like something in the area distribution system (generator fuel, or just storage batteries?) runs out and the cable signal goes dark.

Starlink is great for work-from-home, the Low-Earth-Orbit (LEO) network is orders of magnitude better than the old Hughesnet/Viasat services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2022, 11:09 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
In my township the phone company upgraded us to fiber last year. We went from dsl over the phone lines to fiber, which was a big change.

Using the dsl, an occasional lightning strike would put a power spike on the twisted-wire pairs and fry our modem. Sometimes our dsl went down and after multiple repair calls the phone company would find that a power spike had fried a card in their distribution panel [called a DSLAM card].

Since shifting to fiber we have not had any of those problems.

The fiber has a modem and that modem needs to be powered. An UPS would work just fine, as it is not a huge load.

Old 07-10-2022, 08:14 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
I live in Mayfield, Ky., where the Dec. 10 tornado tore up the town. We were without power for a week. But every day when I went back to town to check on the house, (state opened up the state park lodges for those displaced) one house was all lit up, looking like nothing had happened. The retired Army man living there told me later his wife fussed at him for getting the whole house generator. He said, "Then Dec. 10th happened and that generator was the best thing I'd ever done." lol

Old 07-10-2022, 08:18 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I live in Mayfield, Ky., where the Dec. 10 tornado tore up the town. We were without power for a week. But every day when I went back to town to check on the house, (state opened up the state park lodges for those displaced) one house was all lit up, looking like nothing had happened. The retired Army man living there told me later his wife fussed at him for getting the whole house generator. He said, "Then Dec. 10th happened and that generator was the best thing I'd ever done." lol
I bet. Retired military, I imagine that he has experienced SHTF a time or three himself.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:26 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post

The house across the street has a whole house generator. However, during the recent 7 day outage, I never heard it running, nor saw any lights on. I wonder if it had broken and not been repaired sometime in the past?

Old 07-11-2022, 09:00 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
The house across the street has a whole house generator. However, during the recent 7 day outage, I never heard it running, nor saw any lights on. I wonder if it had broken and not been repaired sometime in the past?
I always make sure that my whole house generator is serviced and ready to go. We had a snowstorm this year that left most of the town without power for at least 4 days, some areas for more. My neighborhood was 4.5 days. I could run everything (and did) and invited one neighbor over, but she decided to tough it out. I did notice that several neighbors purchased portable generators immediately after the snowstorm though.

Old 07-11-2022, 05:06 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I always make sure that my whole house generator is serviced and ready to go. We had a snowstorm this year that left most of the town without power for at least 4 days, some areas for more. My neighborhood was 4.5 days. I could run everything (and did) and invited one neighbor over, but she decided to tough it out. I did notice that several neighbors purchased portable generators immediately after the snowstorm though.
I had a cousin who lived and worked in the Bahamas quite a few years ago. When a hurricane was headed his direction the company he worked for sent him a generator to use afterwards if needed. He could have used it but didn't. Said he didn't want to be the only house with power while all the others were suffering. That was before the whole house generators.

I also remember the ice storm of 2009. People were buying the (not whole house) generators for their freezers and some heat. But after things got back to close to normal, a good number of those people took them back wanting their money back. After the tornado hit here, every place selling the smaller generators had signs put up saying they could not be returned. Shouldn't have let them bring them back after the ice storm.

Old 07-11-2022, 06:02 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
I really like Submariners idea of having 2 generators.

We currently only have one at our California place and it’s nothing special.
It’s the big tri fuel one at Costco.
Loud as all get out.
I keep it next to our panel on the far side of the shop so it’s about 100 feet from where normally hang out at at our city house.
An additional smaller one would be really cool for efficiency and wear issues.

I’ve heard numerous bad reviews on the hunting forum I go to about Generac and I thought those would be the best.

For me at my place in the country I want to be quiet because sound travels there.
I think a larger tri fuel (possibly with welding leads ) and one or 2 little ones.
Hopefully I can figure out a way to quiet the larger one without messing it up.
Maybe a 6-10” double wall duct going to some kind of diffuser chinga.
I dunno .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living