Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 09:59 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am never amazed at the idiocy of people. 40 years ago when I was young, I would have been amazed. A lifetime of getting used to mass stupidity in all of its forms, I am no longer amazed at anything I see today. There is no bottom to how stupid modern people can be. None.
Same thoughts here. When I was a kid, I wanted to meet everyone in the world. I thought they would all be fabulous, humorous, and wise.

Boy, was I wrong.

This lasted into my 30s. I was talking with my younger brother, incredulous that so many people did stupid things, and he basically told me to give up my innocent/naive belief that most were not completely dumb.

Now? It's like cockroaches - they are everywhere!

I really learned how stupid people are, from all over the world, when I was a tour guide.

This story from the OP reminds me of the tourists I dealt with, or the mouth breathing morons who try to pet wildlife, or get too close for their photos. If only someone would invent a zoom lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Youtube has a ton of them. Here are a few to ponder over. Crazy, stupid people .

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...arassing+bison
This is what I'm talking about. They do this same .... to gators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2022, 10:28 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,569,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
Read post #4. England has many ancient walking paths where the landowner must make access available to the pubic. One such path is called the Cotwalds Way. It goes for miles through some beautiful English countryside & was on my bucket list to do.
Traversing ancient paths like that sounds like fun, minus the run ins with angry critters, lol. I've read about trails like that, and how it isn't considered trespassing in England like it might be elsewhere. The only thing of importance that I remember about that is to leave gates just as you found them. If the gate was open, leave it open. And if the gate was closed, and latched, then after passing through make sure to close, and latch it again.

Old 08-20-2022, 07:29 AM

15,425 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Sounds like she was trespassing on someone else's pasture. Don't do that!
There are a lot of places in Britain where a public footpath crosses open fields that belong to a farmer. The public has the right to use the footpath, established for, in some cases, centuries. It's not like the US where it's all private property and it's trespassing to cross.

Old 08-20-2022, 08:28 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,050,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
There are a lot of places in Britain where a public footpath crosses open fields that belong to a farmer. The public has the right to use the footpath, established for, in some cases, centuries. It's not like the US where it's all private property and it's trespassing to cross.

Yes. If the gate is open, you leave it open. If the gate is closed, you close it after you enter. Britain is a crowded island. Bill Bryson said that the public trails are so crowded that you are never out of sight of other people long enough to stop and urinate. The wife of an automotive journalist described Britain as a nation of 60 million people with room for 30 million. My description would have been a nation of 70 million with room for 10 million. If you own a house with enough of a lawn to park one vehicle, you are among the fortunate ones. Bill Bryson also complained that many of the lawns have now been paved over.

It's changing in the US, too. In the early 1980s, farm land in Wayne county, Ohio sold for $1000-$1500 an acre. Now it sells for $17,000 to $40,000 an acre.

Old 08-20-2022, 09:32 AM

130,210 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Stupid is as stupid does. Just becasue she has a right to be on the path, doesn't mean she should do it, if she sees a herd of cattle. Especially with a dog.

Re above post, Bill Bryson is a comedic writer, he is supposed to be taken with a grain of salt Not literally.

Old 08-20-2022, 10:08 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Stupid is as stupid does. Just becasue she has a right to be on the path, doesn't mean she should do it, if she sees a herd of cattle. Especially with a dog.

Re above post, Bill Bryson is a comedic writer, he is supposed to be taken with a grain of salt Not literally.
There's always truth in humor.

Old 08-20-2022, 11:00 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
I encountered a wayward herd of cows last month on a mountain trail while hiking with my son & dog. Was glad I always keep my dog leashed anyway because she's a herding breed & we were in a narrow valley. Last thing we needed was a stampede, lol.

Several hikers have been injured in my area recently by a cow moose with a calf due to having off leash dogs. I can only assume an actual cow would act the same to protect her calf.

They were agitated but not aggressive upon seeing us. Didn't come towards us but went quickly away from us. It was the loudest mountain hike I've ever had. So much mooing! We hung back for a few minutes to give them their space to move on.

Old 08-20-2022, 01:52 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Don't turn your back on a pig.

Old 08-20-2022, 03:47 PM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
Dog walker is obviously not from Pamplona, where the running of the bulls routinely kills a few people. While a group of giant snorting, charging and enraged bulls may not put the fear of loss in participants....apparently the tiny coronavirus did, and the run hasn't been held in 2020 or 2021.

Old 08-20-2022, 07:31 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I can't believe I clicked on this thread. It's like clickbait and I'll never get my 60 seconds of life back.

Jesus. Really?
I did because my mother grew up England and had walked through many cow pastures. She didn't do it with a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living