Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:43 PM

148 posts, read 643,170 times

Advertisements

As you can see by my log in name I have a high view of my IQ and Education. As a teacher I have a high opinion of learning, education and knowledge.

In recent years I have be come frustrated with life in Urban America and have always dreamed of moving to a small town of about 15,000 which is not dependent on commuting to a big city. But after looking at the US Census Webpage I am shocked how few people in rural and small town America have a college degree or even a High School Degree.

I picture most small towns to be better in theory than in actual practice. It seems like as I drive through the small towns I fall in love with the image but come back to earth when I see the rednecks walking down the street and poor looking folks.

Please do not send me to a small college town, that is not my thing or argument.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:48 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,276,079 times
When you drive through our small towns, pick up the speed to avoid the shotguns pointed at ya.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:11 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,441,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
As you can see by my log in name I have a high view of my IQ and Education. As a teacher I have a high opinion of learning, education and knowledge.

In recent years I have be come frustrated with life in Urban America and have always dreamed of moving to a small town of about 15,000 which is not dependent on commuting to a big city. But after looking at the US Census Webpage I am shocked how few people in rural and small town America have a college degree or even a High School Degree.

I picture most small towns to be better in theory than in actual practice. It seems like as I drive through the small towns I fall in love with the image but come back to earth when I see the rednecks walking down the street and poor looking folks.

Please do not send me to a small college town, that is not my thing or argument.
As a teacher, you seem full of hate and bigotry and possess a very judgmental holier than thou atttitude...Don't bother coming to our small town in search of a teaching job..I doubt you could pass the interview and the required educational background..

Old 06-22-2008, 01:26 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,783,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post

It's obvious that you have not researched the states of Connecticut and Massachusetts, Mr. Genius.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:49 PM

733 posts, read 4,645,669 times
[quote=total_genius;4192230]...But after looking at the US Census Webpage I am shocked how few people in rural and small town America have a college degree or even a High School Degree. [quote]

I do not believe that high schools are degree granting institutions.

In my small, rural town I count among my friends both the highly educated and those who did not have the good fortune to go to college. Educational achievement does not guarantee wisdom. Some of the highly educated individuals disport themselves as social idiots. My blacksmith friend [welder and ironworker] who never went beyond the 8th grade generally displays the judgment of Solomon, albeit in somewhat pithy terms.

Last edited by windtimber; 06-22-2008 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: Tried to fix quotation

Old 06-22-2008, 01:51 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,367,353 times
For being a self proclaimed genius, you sure do sound stupid and ignorant.

When you drive through? Are you being serious? You can anylize an entire culture just by driving through a few towns?

Plus, what does having a college degree have to do with being intelligent? Some poeple do not need a college degree in life, some feel they do, that does not at all reflect the character of a person.

Speaking of poor looking folks, that is an American wide thing, not just small town. Dressing like trash and being slppy in appearance has semmed to take over everywhere regardless if it is in a small town or city.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:00 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,163,795 times
dear total
i found several punctuation errors in your post and a racial remark, "red neck".
i usually don't find these at the genius level.
i read your profile. Why do i get the feeling that creative license has been exercised? as to small towns, i find both black & white beautiful in them, primarily, because of the element of meekness. have a good sunday.

have a flower.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:04 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,234,375 times
Okay, what is your motivation in desiring to move to a small town? Just what did you think that you would find there that you do not find in "urban America"?

Old 06-22-2008, 02:13 PM

543 posts, read 698,338 times
Those who can, do, those who can't ,teach.
Sorry but you've just proved it.All those rednecks pay your salary.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:18 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,234,375 times
A quick scan of the list of your posts shows spelling and punctuation errors in the first line of almost every one - odd in someone who says they have a "high opinion of learning, education and knowledge". What is it that you teach?

And why do I get the feeling that we're all standing on a bridge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living