U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:57 AM

6,067 posts, read 5,253,848 times

Advertisements

If you feel trapped in a small town you have to make the 2-3 hour drive as a matter of routine to go to the big city, just to hang out , or to breathe a little. I can only afford the money or time to get away about once a month, so lucky for me there is an enterprise rental car company near by and I am one of the regulars for the "weekend special " because lets face it you don't need a new car to live in a small town ( which is one of the advantages of small town life) I know people who drive up to have breakfast or coffee go to a afternoon movie have lunch and come home. I also can schedule repairs on tech stuff that small towns can't do, IMO I think the ideal small town is 70-80? miles ( out of daily commuting range) from a big city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 10:41 AM

415 posts, read 452,441 times
This thread consists almost entirely of two giant stereotypes.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:38 PM

13,387 posts, read 10,010,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by things that are "fun to entertain mature adults". Where I live people get together down by the lake and drink beer and have cook-outs. You can also have a BBQ at your house or go to someone elses and have a fun time. You can rent movies and have get togethers with popcorn (and beer, of course). You can have wine and cheese parties. There are a zillion fun thngs for adults to do! You have to use your imagination.

Even our area has a couple of bars where people go and hang out. Now granted, most of them are working men with dirt (or manure) on their boots, but its still fun. During football season they put on the games so idiots can yell at the TV (never could figure that one out).

There are yard sales every weekend. And usually there is some kind of "event" nearby that is fun. Every month it seems there is some kind of event going on, whether it is a "Spring Fling" dance, or a "Sadie Hawkins Day" event or "4th of July Picnic" or "Harvest Festival". Soon I think there is going to be a Apple Butter Days coming up and it's always lots of fun. Plenty of food and usually live entertainment.

If you have "no life" as you say. Perhaps you are not making the effort to get to know people and participate in regional activities. You can't expect people to just come knocking on your door (although around here, neighbors will do that). You have to get up and get out and get to know folks. You might try volunteering to help put an event together. I know that local organizations are always looking for people to help.

Call the local Chamber of Commerce (if you have one, and even most small towns do), or all city hall and find out what's going on and how you can help. If nothing is going on - then go to a City Counsel meeting and SUGGEST something. They'll put you in charge and you will have plenty to do (and will meet lots of people).

Life is what you make of it, Maddy. You can jump in with both feet or you can sit on the sidelines and complain. Your choice.

20yrsinBranson
I'm lookin' forward to the "Rattle Snake hunts" here in Oklahoma next month.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:27 PM

13,387 posts, read 10,010,072 times
"Maddy" if your into "Multi-Culturism", I suggest you move out to the west coast, preferably Southern California. Diversity and multi-culturism is rampant and out of control out there.
i lived my share of the fast lane out there. I was born and raised on a Dairy farm, and as I got older, Small town living came back.....actually, it never went away.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:30 PM

8,034 posts, read 4,387,740 times
When the SHTF, you may be very glad to live in a distant small town, far from the riots and mayhem in the urban centers.
Of course, if you're dependent upon the cities for your necessities, you won't fare better.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:22 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,561,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
If that's your occupation I hope you get locked up for a long long time. Sure it may be hard for some people to make money in small towns but I would rather starve than sell drugs.
Most people would. The criminals making drugs are NOT regular family people who as a last resort turn to making drugs because they are having a tough time making ends meet, as the writer seemed to indicate. They're losers, lazy asses and thugs.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:09 PM

3,012 posts, read 2,911,761 times
Health care is one logical reason to migrate to the city. My neighbor recently moved to the cities (Twin Cities) because of failing health and the lenght of time before quality medical care could arrive. First responder from the fire department is there in minutes but they are not trained very extensivly, and about fifteen minutes later Paramedics from the Hospital in the next town can arrive. This clearly wasn't fast enough for their needs and sense of security. Living here was all the male of the household could or would want, the wife on the other hand was bored off her goard. I think she poisioned him. Seriously, he was looking so ill and was pretty darn healthy before she began to talk of moving back to where her kids were. Hum.

Heck of a better reason than the lack of rap clubs.. Well we don't have any "rap" clubs or any hip-hop clubs either. No gay bars no rock haunts. Well we ARE in the "country" and so it's primarily Country Music eminating from the juke box. There are plenty of young folks in the Bar on the weekends. Guess Country Music isn't exaclty what the OP was hoping for.

Now, since we are out in the boonies, there are seveal music fesivals all summer long. Each music type has a week end long camping festival. Each of them with-in an hours drive. One would go crazy trying to hit all of these. Believe me, there is entertainment and deverse culture available in one form or another, the more I think about it.

You know what? Things are what they are and you make the best of it. The only other alternative is to move on. Better that than to complain about it.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:32 PM

7,947 posts, read 9,508,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1980 View Post
It's because I have no access to a big city at all. This is why I came here to vent and let all of you who live within at least two hours of a big city know how boring small town living really is and how you should count your blessings to be near excitement. I was gonna move to atl in september but with a family crisis I am gonna have to postpone my big move. Now I am stuck here with no life and nothing that is fun to entertain mature adults. I am not selfish I just wish I had more oppurtunities around me like those that you usually find in big cities like new york, LA, or atlanta. This post may not make any sense to you all but I those of us who are stuck in small town america will understand my frustrations lol.
I understand exactly how you feel. I live about 4 hours from Dallas, which is where everybody goes to do anything exciting. I would recommend you get involved in church. Even if you don't think you are religious, church is generally the best/only way to really connect and network in a small town. While it won't solve your problems, it should help make your time in your small town more bearable.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:08 PM

3,286 posts, read 5,239,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1980 View Post
It's because I have no access to a big city at all. This is why I came here to vent and let all of you who live within at least two hours of a big city know how boring small town living really is and how you should count your blessings to be near excitement. I was gonna move to atl in september but with a family crisis I am gonna have to postpone my big move. Now I am stuck here with no life and nothing that is fun to entertain mature adults. I am not selfish I just wish I had more oppurtunities around me like those that you usually find in big cities like new york, LA, or atlanta. This post may not make any sense to you all but I those of us who are stuck in small town america will understand my frustrations lol.
Hope things have improved since your original post. At least you know what kind if life you want for now. I grew up in a small, rural town and moved out for college. Lived in 3 major East Coast cities. After 25 years of city life I just got plain tired of it and moved back to my hometown. I am loving it! I traded the traffic, noise, and expense for tall trees, tons of wildlife, peace and quiet. But I am only 25 miles east of Philly and 1 hr south of NYC and near.

I see how a small town can be boring though to a young person. There is some good advice from folks here about making friends, joining groups at the library, civic groups, and churches (not necessarily to worship but for community-social activities). Also, find a hobby you can really get into, something with passion whether it's an outdoor activity like cycling or fishing or reading, writing, music, gardening, or painting. You'll find people who share the same interests. Good luck with everything and hope things work out for you!

Old 04-14-2009, 02:45 PM

252 posts, read 458,489 times
I would like to have every minute back that I spent wishing I lived elsewhere. I would take them and paint and draw and read and cook and garden and commiserate with friends and make friends and write and cruise and ride my bike and swim and boat and make music and listen to music and play with children and dance and sing loudly and............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living