Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 05:42 PM

955 posts, read 2,156,787 times

Advertisements

I have a fairly deep well with an enclosed pumphouse. When I opened the door just to peek in, I had about 8 inches of clear water in the self contained pumphouse. Pump is running fine. Obviously something is not right. Any thoughts on what might cause this. There does not seem to be any sign that water is flowing in, i.e., no turbulence or perceived water flow.

Any thoughts from the experts before I call in the pump police?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 07:06 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,327,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
I have a fairly deep well with an enclosed pumphouse. When I opened the door just to peek in, I had about 8 inches of clear water in the self contained pumphouse. Pump is running fine. Obviously something is not right. Any thoughts on what might cause this. There does not seem to be any sign that water is flowing in, i.e., no turbulence or perceived water flow.

Any thoughts from the experts before I call in the pump police?
Yes, call a driller. Sounds like a hole in your casing. Do not drink the water. Get a 5" PVC. Beware of anyone that tells you a hole in the casing can be fixed. They will "try", and you will owe them money. Of course, if they get the new well job the will give you some off.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:59 PM

17,207 posts, read 57,035,276 times
A couple of years ago my well went "artesian" on me when I left an irrigation line too close too long (we live in a desert area but near enough to a river that the water table is less than 20' down). For me the solution was to extend the casing about 3' off the floor (was only about 6") (yes I know that is not to code, there are a lot of things in "this old house" that ain't to code, I work around it..) and put a new pump/motor on a stand so it's up higher than the pumphouse door.

Offhand I would suggest there is little risk in putting a submersible sump pump on a hose, drop it in and pump out the water, see if you can figure out where it's coming from. It may be from a pipe leak, may be coming in through the walls, I'd make an attempt to figure out where it's coming from before doing anything more expensive.

Suggest you take Driller's advice on not drinking the well water till you find out/fix the problem!

Old 08-11-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
A couple of years ago my well went "artesian" on me when I left an irrigation line too close too long (we live in a desert area but near enough to a river that the water table is less than 20' down). For me the solution was to extend the casing about 3' off the floor (was only about 6") (yes I know that is not to code, there are a lot of things in "this old house" that ain't to code, I work around it..) and put a new pump/motor on a stand so it's up higher than the pumphouse door.

Offhand I would suggest there is little risk in putting a submersible sump pump on a hose, drop it in and pump out the water, see if you can figure out where it's coming from. It may be from a pipe leak, may be coming in through the walls, I'd make an attempt to figure out where it's coming from before doing anything more expensive.

Suggest you take Driller's advice on not drinking the well water till you find out/fix the problem!
In Michigan that would be "failure to control a flow". The driller would be responsible. Yes, after years.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:40 PM

17,207 posts, read 57,035,276 times
You are saying that if a well goes artesian, the driller of the well would be held responsible, years after the fact, even though the artesian incident was (apparently, I am not 100% certain) caused by me leaving an irrigation line running too close to the well, or are you saying that UP Ron using a submersible pump to clear out the water would be failure to control flow and the driller could be held responsible for him doing that?

You guys live in a different world.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:01 PM

The "failure to control a flow" was on your well.
I think Ron's well has a hole in the casing, not a flow. Of course just on the forum it is hard to tell. The fact he has a pump house tells me he likely has a 2" well. Those are generally very old.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:33 PM

955 posts, read 2,156,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The "failure to control a flow" was on your well.
I think Ron's well has a hole in the casing, not a flow. Of course just on the forum it is hard to tell. The fact he has a pump house tells me he likely has a 2" well. Those are generally very old.
Thanks for the info. Thankfully my well (which is very old, was a dairy farm operation - water into the barn first, then to people) casing was not the problem. It was the accumulator tank in the pumphouse that was rusted through. Tank replaced and everything OK. It certainly could have been a lot worse.

But now you have me worried. What is the likelihood of casing failures in an old well? 50/50? 70/30? I always welcome your insight on such matters.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Thanks for the info. Thankfully my well (which is very old, was a dairy farm operation - water into the barn first, then to people) casing was not the problem. It was the accumulator tank in the pumphouse that was rusted through. Tank replaced and everything OK. It certainly could have been a lot worse.

But now you have me worried. What is the likelihood of casing failures in an old well? 50/50? 70/30? I always welcome your insight on such matters.
It is just a mater of time......sorry. It is meatal. The is why the PVC is better. A lot will depend on the water in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living