Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:48 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

I'm a country girl and I love living in a rural environment. Lately, I have been spending a lot of time (too much time) here on CD and it is painfully obvious to me that the overwhelming majority of people live in big cities and don't have a clue that there is any other way of life.

I've lived in cities before, out of necessity but never liked it much. Cities are noisy, frustrating and expensive. There is little contact with nature there, which is something I cherish most of all. Traffic is awful, people are always in a rush (or so it seems) and do not seem to be as friendly as they do in the country.

Speaking to my other rural living friends here. What do you think the attraction is in living in a large urban environment?

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-12-2008, 01:57 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Materialism and greed for money can be addictive drugs for a lot of people.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:06 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

Speaking to my other rural living friends here. What do you think the attraction is in living in a large urban environment?

20yrsinBranson
Work, jobs, etc.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:47 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Why do you assume that people who prefer city life have no spent time in the country?

I was raised in a rural area that slowly has become more suburban. Honestly, I can't imagine ever living in the country again or raising a family there. Life in the country is MUCH more complicated than in the city!

Old 08-12-2008, 06:59 PM

681 posts, read 2,359,887 times
Many people have never lived in a rural environent so it's natural to not know how great it is. It's not fair to pick on urbanites and consider them clueless when they have no experience in country living. The reverse could have been said about me when I was growing up. I grew up on 55 acres and moved to the city when I was 14. I still laugh at my first thunderstorm because I was grabbing all the pots and buckets so I could fill them with water. When my mom tried to stop me I was like "Duh mom! We won't have water when the power goes out!" Because of the way I grew up, I had no concept of city water. It's cute, really.

For my husband and I, we would love to live rural but his job doesn't have a facility anywhere near the country. And that goes for many regions of the US - the commute would be a nightmare if you wanted to work in the city and live in the country. Sure, there are people who do but many good pieces of land that are country AND near the city cost a king's ransom.

Other stuff that keeps people living in the city:
  • Salaries tend to be higher in urban areas.
  • Having the convenience to shopping. I can relate when it was a 15 minute drive from my old homestead to buy even a gallon of milk.
  • Sometimes a closer proximity to schools.
  • Restaurants and fast food. I don't know if fast food is a GOOD thing but having conveniences right down the street is kind of nice when the roast burns.
  • Entertainment and events.
  • Gangs. (Okay, I had to joke a bit)
  • And of course some jobs tend to be harder to find in rural areas - a landscaping engineer will have better luck in the city than in a remote area.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:27 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
I think a lot of it is just perspective.
I grew up in a small town 16K (in the San Fernando Valley), in Los Angeles County (several million). While my immediate area and surroundings were small town feel, if we went for a drive, we could drive a couple hours without leaving a town (they all just blend together).

Since I grew up there, and learned to drive there, my perception was "this is NORMAL traffic" while on the freeway with 4 lanes on each side.

15 years ago I moved to Knoxville, TN, a town of about a half a million, but I think counts as about a million when the communities on the outskirts are counted. The worst traffic I have ever seen here (in 15 years), is pretty much "normal" traffic for So. Cal, yet the people here talk about how horrible it is.

There are people that live outside of Knox County, that feel intimidated by coming to the BIG city. They stand in awe at a Super WalMart, baffled by the self check-out at the market. They are paralyzed by traffic on the Interstate.

It's all perspective. I for one could not imagine living in a high rise building in New York City and not own a car. I was baffled by the trains in Chicago.

I had always heard about just how rude people were in New York City. On a visit there a couple years ago, I was in Times Square and couldn't find someplace I wanted to go. I had a little tourist map out in a Starbucks, and a woman came over and asked me if I needed help. She not only helped me find it one the map, but she walked us (family) a couple of blocks to make sure we understood the way. Yes, most people there act like they are detached and in a rush, yet time and time again we were greeted with kindness.

I guess the reason that most people prefer to live in a large urban environment can be summed up in one word: opportunities.

More choices for shopping, restaurants, services such as hospitals, fire and police departments, cultural events such as plays, museums, music, libraries, universities/colleges, more jobs and usually higher paying, airports.

The other less tangible aspect is the diversity you will find in a larger city. In a small town, you can be an "outsider" in a hurry if you happen to have ideas, opinions, lifestyle, or preferences different than the status quo. If you happen to move to a small community, you might have a harder time being accepted because you are new in town.

We have had a few friends that moved to Knoxville from other States and were never happy. They always compared Knoxville to where they came form, and reminded people all the time about how "they don't do it this way back home". They carry that negative attitude with them, and guess what, It breeds the same in return. They all moved back home. They are probably not happy people no matter where they go.

I used to spend a lot of time in a little community in the California mountains that had a population of only a couple hundred. I do know what a small rural setting is like.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:19 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,235,498 times
Personally, I'd rather see the qualities in both ways of living instead of saying one is superior to the other. We all have different ways of living that make us happier.

I think city & country living can be great depending on you as an individual, and your family, etc.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:55 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,375,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
Personally, I'd rather see the qualities in both ways of living instead of saying one is superior to the other. We all have different ways of living that make us happier.

I think city & country living can be great depending on you as an individual, and your family, etc.
I couldn't agree more.

I have lived in both and both served my purpose for different reasons. Keeping with the OP's topic what is so attractive about the big city is this:

Under the right conditions "your in an area thats booming" and you have a skill thats needed, it is as good as it gets as far as work conditions go. My take on things is this, you have to work most of your life so you may as well be happy doing it.
Other perks are of course shopping, night life, sports, more amminities and I do believe people in general have a more positive outlook.

Smaller areas offer lower home prices, slower paced, you can enjoy the outdoors without stepping on someones feet. You don't worry about your kids as much in day to day living.

It is what it is......

Old 08-14-2008, 02:58 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I'm a country girl and I love living in a rural environment. Lately, I have been spending a lot of time (too much time) here on CD and it is painfully obvious to me that the overwhelming majority of people live in big cities and don't have a clue that there is any other way of life.

I've lived in cities before, out of necessity but never liked it much. Cities are noisy, frustrating and expensive. There is little contact with nature there, which is something I cherish most of all. Traffic is awful, people are always in a rush (or so it seems) and do not seem to be as friendly as they do in the country.

20yrsinBranson
Jobs.
Educated, intelligent people.
arts and culture
food that doesn't come from a steam table
Jobs
Not having to drive everywhere
things to do that don't necessarily involve renting a movie or hanging out in a hayseed bar

Old 08-14-2008, 07:10 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,487 times
I moved out to CA in the early 70's and had never been in a big city area. The talk was, "oh you can ski in the morning (Big Bear) and surf in the afternoon." Which in a perfect world maybe some people could have...but not me I was working. I did take my bicycle out with me but got so many flat tires from the glass I gave up. I couldn't wait to move back to the mid-west. I think you get used to being on a faster pace, after being out there for a few years it did take me some time to relax again.
I like being in the woods. If I want to go to a mall or a museum I'm 45 minutes away and that is close enough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living