U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 11:33 AM

8 posts, read 58,876 times

Advertisements

I have about 8 acres of pasture for donkeys grazing. I also have a lot of Johnson grass that is taking over all the native grasses. Does anyone know of a way just to kill the Johnson grass? I found on the Web a herbicide called Pasture Pro that says livestock can graze immediately after applying but I'm leery of trying it in case it does something to my donkeys. Anyone else ever used it?

Thanks
Donkey Rush
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 01:49 PM

18,536 posts, read 55,453,855 times
I don't think you'll find anything specific to Johnson grass. About all I can suggest is to either cut the pasture regularly before seed heading, or crossfence to overgraze smaller areas (maybe enlisting the aid to a few goats), then tilling and reseeding after a year or so of that, making sure the surrounding areas haven't been allowed to go to seed. The rhizomes make simple solutions impractical, AFAICT, and it'll always be an issue of control and not of eradication. Watch out for cyanide poisoning during certain growth stages. The hay is supposedly OK if properly dried.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:10 AM

86,093 posts, read 73,622,034 times
I'll agree with harry on the cutting. I had some heavy sections on my property when I first moved here. Aggressive mowing to keep it from seeding helped but it took years.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:53 PM

15,433 posts, read 27,898,154 times
All I can say is Good Luck. We lived in TX and that stuff was a menace! When you conquer that come up here to East TN and cure our kudzu problem.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:14 PM

65 posts, read 315,436 times
Can't specifically speak to Johnson grass, although it is a nusiance in FL. DH uses Weedmaster and Acord on our pasture, in the seasonal pond and along fence lines. We have six horses and I do not care how safe the label says the product is near grazing animals, I do not let them go out for 2 or 3 days to a newly sprayed area. Chemicals and equines do not mix well.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:50 PM

8 posts, read 58,876 times
Thanks everyone. I was afraid there wasn't going to be an easy solution.Oh well, I'll just have to ask for a brush hog for my anniversary. Last year on our 40th I got a manure spreader. When you have livestock that's better than diamonds.

Donkey Rush

Old 08-26-2008, 04:23 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,463,461 times
The evil Johnson grass spreads by sending out a network of thick underground runners. As long as the tiniest centimeter of root is left in the ground, the evil Johnson grass will resprout and return with a vengence. It is absolutely impossible to eradicate (worse than fire ants).

We had some land in Texas. I often called on the wisdom of the county agricultural extension agents for assistance. They were always wonderfully responsive even though they couldn't always solve my problem (like exterminating fire ants). Give your ag extension office a try, they may be able to advise you.

Good luck though with your battle. I wish you victory.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:37 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
I was just looking at the bottom of the page, at a map where Johnson grass is growing. I was wondering if there is something different about Minnesota -- Maine, too. Could be it just hasn't spread there, yet. I can understand that it wouldn't be in most of Canada, since it is a bit cooler as you go north. Or, maybe they just haven't paid much attention to the rest of Canada.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:02 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
Quote:
Does anyone know of a way just to kill the Johnson grass?
We had patches of the stuff growing on the farm, but usually I'd just try to get the roots out with a hoe. (no, not that kind). But with as much as you have, maybe you can try deep plowing some of it as a test. If it get's buried deep enough, it may not be able to come back.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:35 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,681,328 times
Spray with Roundup

Re-seed what you want in your pasture with a no til drill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living