Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:57 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times

Advertisements

Michigan will be hit-or-miss. I grew up in rural southern Michigan between Grand Rapids and Lansing, and my community was about 97% white and 3% hispanic. The only african american kids that I knew were either adopted or from mixed couples. I honestly don't think there was a single black family in the entire community.

That being said, I think you could move there and have no problems. People will not be openly racist towards you, but they will probably be slow to warm also.

The other Michigan communities that were mentioned above are the exception, not the rule. Michigan is, for the most part, extremely segregated. Whites in the rural areas and suburbs, and blacks in the inner city. There are a few suburban communities that are more diverse, but these are few and far between.

My best evidence of this is that I have been a huge fan of high school sports for a long time, and I can get a good feel for the makeup of a community from the hundreds of sporting events I've been to. Most schools are either all black or all white. Not much in between.

The first time I visited the south, I was a little shocked by how much more integrated things were, as someone who grew up in Michigan. Considering that it was the home of slavery, the South seems much less segregated today, as far as where the african american population can be found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 02:27 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Also, avoid Missouri. Many towns are white only, and very redneck. Anywhere in NW Missouri, north of St. Joseph, you'll be killed after dark. I mean it.
You are full of crap. Yes, there are racists in Missouri, just as there are in other states, but Missourians won't kill the OP. He might get his butt kicked if he comes to rural Missouri with a bad attitude, but if he moves to rural Missouri and works hard like the rest of us country bumpkins, he'll get along fine. It's non-workers we dislike; that and people who move in here from the city and start complaining.

Original poster, there are black people in Phelps county and Pulaski county in south central Missouri. You'll be OK in either county. Phelps County has a branch of the state university in Rolla, and Pulaski County has a huge Army post next to St. Robert-Waynesville.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:44 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,433,837 times
I'd have to say Minnesota

Old 01-06-2009, 06:30 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,290 times
I think anywhere near an university and you will get a diverse culture. We live in a college town and we have people from all over the world. It makes life more full and interesting I think. I think our town mixes and sees people just as people...woudn't have it any other way.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
My hometown, pop. 7,000, in northern Illinois, has a large and growing Latino population. Many of the first Latino folks to come to the area came in the 1970's initially as migrant agricultural processing workers, as happened throughout much of the midwest at that time. Eventually, the migrant families settled out, bought property, and family came and joined them. Over time, the population grew. It was a big adjustment for the mostly non-Hispanic white population originally in the area, mostly Anglo-Germanic stock. And I would be lying if I didn't admit that there's a certain undercurrent of redneck intolerance. But to be honest, the people perpetrating that are just as likely to pick a fight with just about anybody, regardless of ethnicity. They just latch onto the person's ethnicity as a "reason," but it's not as if those people need a recent to be that way, they just ARE...they'd just find something else to "justify" their attacks. In any case, I wouldn't say it's a multicultural area, per se (two widely represented ethnicities does not a culturally diverse town make), but people of different ethnic backgrounds do live together as well as anybody. That said, when I was dating a black man, and he came to visit my hometown, he said he'd never choose to live there. I asked him why not, and he said that he just had no desire to live somewhere he'd be the only black person. While that's not entirely accurate, there is a small population of black people and people of Asian/Indian descent, it's true that the main makeup of the town is Latino and non-Hispanic white.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:32 PM

84 posts, read 405,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
The other Michigan communities that were mentioned above are the exception, not the rule. Michigan is, for the most part, extremely segregated. Whites in the rural areas and suburbs, and blacks in the inner city. There are a few suburban communities that are more diverse, but these are few and far between.
I disagree with this statement. Many smaller Michigan communities have a large white majority, but are not necessarily segregated. Covert, Cass County, Lake County including Idlewild and Baldwin have a more racially balanced mix of folks. There do tend to be a lot of African-Americans in the inner-city areas of the larger cities in Michigan and Detroit is 98% African-American.

The south would appear more segregated because it has a larger percentage of African-Americans than most rural area of the mid-west. Truth is people of most races tend to stay in areas where there other members of the same race. The rural areas of Michigan with African-American communities typically were settled by former slaves. The rest of the rural areas of Michigan were settled by whites.

I grew up in Big Rapids, which is a college town. We had some blacks students in school and most were children of college professors or students. Some had moved to Big Rapids from the Baldwin area (not far) because of the job opportunities in Big Rapids were much greater than Lake County.

My experiences is that most northern mostly white communities, especially smaller ones, are very welcoming to African-Americans, even more so than Hispanics. I saw that a lot in Michigan and now in Nebraska it is about the same. The one thing to remember is an African-American in a lot of these settings will be the only one or only family in the area.

I think you would be treated fairly anywhere in the lower peninsula of Michigan or the rural areas of Nebraska. As far as the UP outside of Marquette, Houghton and the Sault which are college towns, anybody that is not a UP native regardless of skin color is treated as a foriegner.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:18 PM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
There is a historic all black farm towm in Kansas called Nicodemus, it's in the middle of no where kansas, it has survived since 1878?, they still have some farming but the older black farmers have retired and not too many young people black or white want to farm, Nicodemus is also a National Park site, the Ukranian population took in the black refugees , untill they could get a foot hold on the town,
Oklahoma has many all black rural towns, you probally want a place where there is a certain amount of cooperation between black and white farmers,

Old 04-24-2014, 11:36 AM

24 posts, read 92,278 times
Michigan is a beautiful state, I know cause I live here. It is not segregated like another poster said. I have spent considerable amounts of time in the Detroit area and suburbs, Ann Arbor, Battle creek, Mackinaw, Midland, Marquette (up) Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo and Muskegon. But my absolute favorite place is Idlewild. The history there is so thick in the air. The forest is amazing, hundreds of lakes and streams the water is clear with the best fishing. The people there are friendly and the ol folks are walking history books. Land is cheap and plentiful. I would say without a doubt West Michigan has everything you need. Good luck.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:59 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I agree with those that mentioned Michigan towns like Covert, Baldwin/Idlewild, Cassopolis, Vandalia, Dowagiac, Buchanan, among others in Western Michigan. There's also towns like Van Buren/Belleville, Sumpter, York, Pittsfield, Superior, Ypsilanti(town) and Augusta in Eastern Michigan near Detroit and Ann Arbor.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:22 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Anywhere in NW Missouri, north of St. Joseph, you'll be killed after dark. I mean it.
Bull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living