Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 10:42 PM

12 posts, read 28,555 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if there is diversity in the rural areas in the midwest. Are people accepting of varying ethnic groups? I am desiring to move to a rural area yet unsure...so i would trully appreciate your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 04:02 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
I am sure there are all over, but the area that pops into my head is the Baldwin/Idlewild area of Michigan. There is still a strong African American culture that compliments the economy there. They are small communities that have a strong Sport Trout fishing presence as well as the history of being the "Black Eden" of the 20's-40's. Idelwild has been working very hard to preserve it's history and clean itself back up to become a tourist destination once again after falling into decline. They have a Music festivals during the Summer, and the area is quite culturally diverse. Look into the area and it's history, it very well may surprise you.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:57 AM

862 posts, read 1,050,419 times
I agree thar western MI is probaly your best bet.I know I would hate to be black
and live anywhere here in rural WI where the N word is common.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:45 PM

Thanks Bydand, I'll definitely look into the area you stated.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:12 PM

So it is pretty much segregated in wisconsin huh. I'm assuming from your reply Alt Dach, that I should rule out rural wisconsin completely. Is it merely name calling out of ignorance or just plain unaccepting of blacks? I have to admit, I have not yet experienced the ignorance in any extremety before so i'm wondering.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:03 PM

862 posts, read 1,050,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by touchofsimplicity View Post
So it is pretty much segregated in wisconsin huh. I'm assuming from your reply Alt Dach, that I should rule out rural wisconsin completely. Is it merely name calling out of ignorance or just plain unaccepting of blacks? I have to admit, I have not yet experienced the ignorance in any extremety before so i'm wondering.
Well I would say that it starts with ignorance but becomes hate as people
project their declining fortunes as somehow the fault of "all those blacks on welfare" as they are incacaple of seeing who is REALLY at fault by
their rabid nationalism. Like a country song "Proud to be an american etc etc-.They cant give up this as its the mainstay of their idenity.
IMHO its why racism is necessary for the "system".

But dont get me wrong-no one is likely to say anything to you or bother
although Late or night or drunks who knows.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:01 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
The town I grew up in in Wisconsin, pop. 8,000, has never had a black resident, but I think a few have settled there in the past 3 or 4 years. Wisconsin is very racist. Also, avoid Missouri. Many towns are white only, and very redneck. Anywhere in NW Missouri, north of St. Joseph, you'll be killed after dark. I mean it. I lived in northeast Kansas, and some of the small towns there (pop. 3,000 or so) had some black families, and some didn't. Those that did, they seemed pretty happy and not discriminated against. One that had black families, and even a couple of respected black-owned businesses, was Hiawatha. In Northern Michigan, Traverse City is a very welcoming, liberal town, with only a trickle of blacks so far.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:42 PM

625 posts, read 1,881,513 times
North Dakota is pretty good, too.

Any town with a university is sure to have at least a couple African American families. Our town of 6500 has 3 or 4 AA families as well as a dozen or so families from India ( most work for a software company), and a few families each of Asian, Hispanic and Native Americans. About 1/3 of our doctors are non-white.

Of course, the larger the town and/or larger the university, the more non-white families and single people (usually students) you will find.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:52 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
Alright. Wisconsin is not blanketed racist. However, there is a KKK group in Medford. It really depends on where you are. In my experience (um, white woman experience), any N-word use is out of habit because they grew up with it. The Civil Rights Movement sort of skipped over these areas because there were no minorities, so the learning curve has been a bit big. Diversity just hasn't happened to northern Wisconsin too much. However, most people are open--they are just a little confused... Many areas in the U.P. are the same way. I'm guessing Minnesota, too.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:12 PM

58 posts, read 180,404 times
Default Wrong!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The town I grew up in in Wisconsin, pop. 8,000, has never had a black resident, but I think a few have settled there in the past 3 or 4 years. Wisconsin is very racist. Also, avoid Missouri. Many towns are white only, and very redneck. Anywhere in NW Missouri, north of St. Joseph, you'll be killed after dark. I mean it. I lived in northeast Kansas, and some of the small towns there (pop. 3,000 or so) had some black families, and some didn't. Those that did, they seemed pretty happy and not discriminated against. One that had black families, and even a couple of respected black-owned businesses, was Hiawatha. In Northern Michigan, Traverse City is a very welcoming, liberal town, with only a trickle of blacks so far.
I grew up in Andrew / Holt Counties north of St. Joseph and my entire family still lives there and has for 100 yrs. "Killed after dark" What a bunch of crock. Why say something so alarming when you obviously know nothing about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living