Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I really appreciate all the info.

I used to get eggs with my grandpa but I was only about 6.

I sure wish he were around to help me get set up.

I don't remember a building just a fenced area and
barrel type nests that were raised with a ladder going up to them.

Is that possible to keep them without a chicken house??
It really depends where you live. If you are up north with longer, harsher winters the chickens will need some protection from the cold. They can get frostbite on their combs and wattles.

If you have mild winters then they just need somewhere to get out of the rain/wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 12:13 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

They can get frostbite on their combs and wattles.
Thats gotta hurt

Old 08-30-2008, 10:28 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Been reading all the posts about chickens and farm fresh eggs. My friend decided to have some chickens so she could have her own eggs and meat. In exchange for labour to build her coop she was giving us eggs when we needed them. After only 1 month, I started turning yellow and the doctors told me I was jaundiced..I landed in hospital with some horrid septic gas in my bile ducts. Next thing I knew I had full blown hepatitis and nobody could figure how I got it. After being on 5 different antibiotics and almost comatose, I happened to mention the "farm fresh eggs". Tests were conducted and it turned out the eggs were the culprit. seems my friend knew nothing about chickens, kept them inside an insulated coop all the time for fear of predators, fed garlic instead of deworming, no shots, etc...we were told if the hen is sick, the infection goes into the yolk as it is being produced inside the hen, and washing the eggs in tap water leaves them wide open to germssince the shell is porous. We decided to buy our eggs from then on, never did tell my friend exactly why I couldn't eat her eggs, just said I wasn't eating enough to make it worthwhile and she should sell hem for money.
Not knowing anything about chickens I was wondering what the possibility of picking up infections this way is?
wait a minute, you got sick from her eggs (possibly) and then told her to sell them?

that is classic....................

Old 08-31-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
wait a minute, you got sick from her eggs (possibly) and then told her to sell them?

and it was a friend!!

Old 08-31-2008, 07:25 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Hmmmmmm???

I have eaten farm grown eggs for many many years, and never heard of such a thing !

Old 08-31-2008, 07:28 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I have Buff Orpingtons..very docile, dual purpose birds (meat/eggs) but we have them for the eggs.

I'm in central Texas and we do get winters but I have no heat in their coop (refurbished garden shed). I just make sure the windows on the coop are closed so they get no cold drafts on them.

If you live near a hatchery then you can drive out and pick them up and can get less then the minimum order (25). I've gone with the day old chicks and we keep them in the spare bathroom with a heat lamp til they feather out (6 weeks). We do that at Easter time (March) so that by April the weater has warmed up and we don't need any additional heating in the coop.

If you have kids then keeping some chickens is a great introduction into livestock and farming.
Does having chickens for eggs save a person money? Probably not but you get some great eggs! Well worth the time and effort!

Old 08-31-2008, 08:13 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
$100 one-time investment for chickens and a chicken coop; and $100 / year for feed.

Could give you free-ranging chickens that would provide a large family with eggs. A surplus of eggs.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:14 PM

315 posts, read 1,088,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post

Don't know about my english but we are from Canada and our doctors are Canadians. At the time I told her to sell them I didn't want to get heavily involved and strain the friendship and I thought it was best to go easy and she would get the hint. The health department got involved and I ended up telling her why I was hospitalized.Yes, she had been sick before me, but her inmmune system was stronger than mine so she never did know what hit her, she got over it by herself. But one other person who had eaten the eggs happened to get a lung infection from the same infection tha gave me hepatitis, he now is being treated for a hole in that lung....this is when the health unit got involved, we were the only two cases with this strain of infection.
Someone was asking about tests...very simple to figure out...Blood tests were done and the bilirubin in my blood was sky high and not going down. So they did more extensive studies of the blood, discovered a strain of infection and went from there.
I'm not saying all fresh eggs are contaminated but I think the chicks she bought might not have been healthy since two died for no reason. All I cared about was getting back on my feet at the time. To this day, my liver was affected and it still is not normal, it was left enlarged and I really watch what I eat.
NO....I don't drink and never have in case this is the next question.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:38 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Like I said, looking for all of the cites I could find to anything like this, nothing, but nothing, turned up to support this as a possible transmission for hepatitis. The only way I could turn up that hepatitis could have been transmitted via eggs was if the eggs were cooked by someone who had hepatitis and then served directly to you - and that wouldn't have been transmission from the eggs, but from the person cooking the eggs.

The key question is, were the EGGS tested? If not, then there's nothing to indicate that they were the source.

And I agree - you wouldn't eat them, because you thought they were contaminated, but didn't want to "get heavily involved" and "strain the friendship", so it was perfectly okay to recommend that she sell them to others to eat when you could be pretty sure, if your original story is factual, that they would come down with hepatitis, as well? Really? And you think this is an acceptable way to behave?

Old 09-01-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Like I said, looking for all of the cites I could find to anything like this, nothing, but nothing, turned up to support this as a possible transmission for hepatitis. The only way I could turn up that hepatitis could have been transmitted via eggs was if the eggs were cooked by someone who had hepatitis and then served directly to you - and that wouldn't have been transmission from the eggs, but from the person cooking the eggs.

The key question is, were the EGGS tested? If not, then there's nothing to indicate that they were the source.

And I agree - you wouldn't eat them, because you thought they were contaminated, but didn't want to "get heavily involved" and "strain the friendship", so it was perfectly okay to recommend that she sell them to others to eat when you could be pretty sure, if your original story is factual, that they would come down with hepatitis, as well? Really? And you think this is an acceptable way to behave?
We probably don't know the whole story... I think he did talk to her about the problem.. Probably an isolated case
Zoran...I am glad you recovered..sounds like a bad thing to go thru...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living