U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:30 AM

653 posts, read 1,723,585 times

Advertisements

i want to keep either 3-4 Goats or Sheeps, which are the lowerst maintenance.
no experience with any farm animals except chickens and let them loose sleeping in the tree. food and water is alway available when they want them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 11:07 AM

18,536 posts, read 55,453,855 times
Goats, but you need way more knowledge before you even consider buying any.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:33 PM
San

54 posts, read 393,880 times
I agree with harry chickpea. Having worked with veterinarians for a good part of my working life, I'd have to say that goats require much less maintanance than sheep. I have also raised sheep in the past so I know where of I speak. However that is not to say they are totally without problems. As he said before you buy any animals, you need to know a great deal more. I would suggest you get information from a local veterinarian and also from your local extention service. Also, check out some info at the local library and online. Don't buy anything without knowing what it's going to take to keep those animals healthy and in good condition.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:08 PM

11,257 posts, read 44,311,975 times
In the general sense, goats are easier to keep than sheep.

That said, a lot depends upon what you want the animals for. If it's to keep weeds under control, meat breed goats (Boers, Spanish, etc) are hardier and a better choice than fiber goats (Angoras, Cashmere, etc). Milk goats (Nubians, etc) are a little mellower than meat breeds, but still require more care and shelter than meat breeds.

But you need to be careful about what you want here ... meat goats will aggressively challenge your fences. If there's a way that they can weaken or get around, over, or through a fence, they will. Unless you've got concreted in fences with electric hot wires in the bottom and top, they will get out. That means they'll be in your neighbor's gardens, lawns, trees, and weeds, too. Unless you adequately shield every one of your trees, they'll eat the bark off and kill them. I've seen 4 goats go through an onion patch and destroy an acre's worth in less than an hour. They don't catch easily, and they'll ignore you until they're ready to be lured back into a corral area.

Sheep, on the other hand, are only slightly less destructive. They generally won't eat the bark off trees, but they'll eat just about everything else and may wander almost as far as goats. They won't challenge fences as hard, but will go out if there's a weak spot in the fencing or at a gate. You'll be surprised at how little an opening they can go through. If you have a vegetable garden, or decorative landscaping ... it must be fenced off or they'll be into it and destroy it. Your best bet is for hardy sheep breeds are Tunis or Southdowns ... again, these are meat breeds and famous for their easy keeping qualities. You won't want Hampshire's or Dorsett's, large breeds that will bowl you over as much as to look at you.

Consider, also, that most Sheep breeds require shearing twice a year. Do you have the desire to get the equipment and learn to shear your sheep? Do you have a local shearer who will come over for a reasonable price and shear just a few?

Do you have a livestock or horse trailer that you can use to get the animals to a vet when needed? We can haul a couple of goats or sheep in the back of our Subie wagons, but that's not adequate when you've got 5 head to haul around.

If you're not into a breeding program, keep only females. Even neutered males can be aggressive and challenge you with serious butting which can break bones (yours!). IF you want to breed, then you're looking at a whole new education into animal husbandry and keeping your ram away from the ewes or does except for breeding time. Now you're needing infrastructure/pens, and it's a lot more work.

It's not trivial getting into livestock, even on a small scale. Chickens are much much much easier to get into and keep, especially if you're just letting them free range.

Also, consider your predator threat to your livestock. If there's coyotes around, you need to address that problem or you'll be looking at a whole bunch of very clean white bones in neat piles where your sheep or goats used to be. Unless you've got many thousands of acres for your sheep to roam and livestock guardian dogs, livestock is not a simple proposition to be taken lightly. It's a lot of work and responsibility.

You might also want to check out your library for "how to" books for the small flock. Carla Emory had a great book out on small acreage living, too, with great sections on getting into and keeping livestock.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:14 PM

156 posts, read 231,720 times
Goats.. Just be sure that you built a good fence!!

Old 09-11-2008, 08:55 PM

653 posts, read 1,723,585 times
i want to keep them for milk and weeds/shrups control in large tract of uneven wood lot in Maine.
i want to raise them to survive like deers, no vacine no antibiotic, if the environment is not suitable to keep them wild, i don't want to keep them at all.

temporary electric fence to be relocate as weeds / shurbs depleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug86 View Post
Goats.. Just be sure that you built a good fence!!

Old 09-11-2008, 09:31 PM

18,536 posts, read 55,453,855 times
You don't want them, then. They need a winter shelter, water that won't freeze over, enough fuel (food) to get through the winter, and they can get hurt or have diseases. Even in milder climates, where they can be more or less self-sustaining, they need care.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:59 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,794,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
i want to keep either 3-4 Goats or Sheeps, which are the lowerst maintenance.
no experience with any farm animals except chickens and let them loose sleeping in the tree. food and water is alway available when they want them.
Sheep are lower maintenance. Your fencing needs are much, much less (Goats are Houdinis). You have to be more careful with Sheep food (low copper), in both cases you are going to need a livestock guardian dog to take care of them from the coyotes (or a donkey or a llama).

Wool sheep are multi purpose (milk, fiber and meat), goats less so although, if you have a hispanic or middle eastern population nearby goats are popular for meat too. You can also make goat milk soap from their milk.

Sheep are more docile (some would say boring), goats have more personality but are harder to keep OUT OF THINGS. Goats are much more noisy IMHO if that is a consideration.

I'd choose wool sheep myself. Something small and easy to take care of (Icelandic, Shetland, Miniature Southdown).

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-11-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
i want to keep them for milk and weeds/shrups control in large tract of uneven wood lot in Maine.
i want to raise them to survive like deers, no vacine no antibiotic, if the environment is not suitable to keep them wild, i don't want to keep them at all.

temporary electric fence to be relocate as weeds / shurbs depleted
Nope, won't work. All domestic animals need care. You even have to trim goat and sheep hooves if they don't wear down naturally. Check into raising less domesticated animals. Deer, Elk, Pronghorns, wild Antelope. There are people out there who do and make a lot of money with them.

You need to take care of domesticated sheep and goats, your requirements would not work for them.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-11-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post

If you're not into a breeding program, keep only females. Even neutered males can be aggressive and challenge you with serious butting which can break bones (yours!).
They can kill you! It is estimated that four people per year are killed by RAMS butting them in the head when they bend over.

I know someone who had to sell their aggressive ram after being knocked to the ground REPEATEDLY by him. Luckily they were near the fence and could CLIMB out because they really feared for their life. (it was an older lady)

There is a lot to know about how to raise animals.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living