U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 04:54 PM

465 posts, read 917,111 times
Where else are you going to buy 12 gauge shells and beef jerky at 3am. Well except maybe crazy ol mikes house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 06:30 AM

1,450 posts, read 2,270,510 times
OK the Walmart issue.....

First let me say in my town I believe - when it was built it was said to be the last Mega Walmart - grocery Plus a year ago ... don't know if that was true.... I checked it out when first came to town... produce sucked... meat in space age package to keep fresh twice as long..... priced cat food and cat litter...
Nope local safeway was same price or cheaper... no other business went out of business in town other than QFC that has been hijacking prices for years already.. loved the store but to expensive already with Safeway.... and yes that is fairly new... less than 6 yrs...

Local business I still shop at local fruit stand,.. Napa is still there... local mechanic... Sun Birds clothing hunting everything store still there... but again I will admit don't shop at Walmart... except for kids at Christmas ..... can do it all there...

Now the KFC and Taco bell along with other franchise showing up..... still it seems all is staying afloat in town.... and don't know of anyone who provides benifits for employees....... area has grown plenty.. local feed store I believe will always keep business like Hardware store. Be interesting to see what else comes to town...

and by the way yes they did built out of town -- right on the outskirts....

I don't really see a reason other than toys to really shop there..so I don't

Old 11-04-2008, 11:35 AM

3,325 posts, read 4,673,915 times
The open countryside has'nt changed much since we came through here years before. There's still plenty of land and the same old 72 oz steak signs. The roadside stops have their same designs. Nothings been upgraded. Time stands still. But, there's the inevitable truth. A Super Wal-Marts gonna be built. You know it will. Not much anyone can do. If they want to build it that's the way it will be. Another stab at natural beauty!

copywright Loose Cannon 2007

Old 11-06-2008, 01:56 PM

130 posts, read 284,760 times
A lot of Wal-Marts are surrounded by small businesses that have no intentions of competing with Wal-Mart. Some products may be similar but the brand name differences can sell the small guy's products. Wal-Mart is big but selling everything at top quality is not their thing.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:41 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,673,915 times
Any critiques on my poem?

Old 11-09-2008, 07:30 AM

10,576 posts, read 7,250,049 times
Some privately owned stores can sit right next to a Wal mart and thrive, IF they run their business properly and have the right niche. Obviously another retail store would not be able compete, especially if they tried to compete on Wal marts terms. But others can.
I have a favorite pet store where I buy 80% of my pet supplies, everything except dog food. Their prices are higher, but not by alot, and they have 20 times what Wal mart does.
Likewise grocery stores. I'll drive right past a wal mart to a more expensive store because that store has what I want, especially local foods.
I've written off local hardware and garden stores because their service was no better than Wal marts or Lowes and were more expensive.
Wal Mart can't sell everything( some people think they do or should) so sell what they don't or do what they can't and you'll be okay.
And why does Wal mart get criticized for running mom and pop stores out of business when K mart was doing it first 30+ years ago? And Target is basically a Wal mart that people think is more hip( it isn't), so why do they get a free pass?

Old 11-09-2008, 12:38 PM

4,793 posts, read 7,754,525 times
Yeah, Walmart doesn't have everything. They don't have a good selection of the exotic Pillsbury cookie dough, so I have to go to Fiesta or HEB for that. And Tampico is cheaper at Fiesta, but other stuff at Walmart is cheaper. You gotta selective shop.

I used to admire Walmart whenb Sam Walton was alive, and I read Sam Waltons book. He didn't seem greedy but it seem all of his kids that probably own and oversee Walmart - they milk it lots for money. They shouldn't be too greedy because they got like 18.3 Billion each. They should now be more humanitarium and pay their workers better. I think Sam Waltons kids will rot in Hell for their greed!

Old 11-09-2008, 12:48 PM

3,994 posts, read 7,479,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Likewise grocery stores. I'll drive right past a wal mart to a more expensive store because that store has what I want, especially local foods.
I've written off local hardware and garden stores because their service was no better than Wal marts or Lowes and were more expensive.
Unfortunately, local stores feel the need to be price competitive with Wal-Mart. My local Kroger chain store (Fred Meyer) used to carry "Coast Range" free range chicken in the meat section. Organic and local (well, a small producer in Oregon, at any rate). But expensive. Now, to cut costs and be Wal-Mart competitive, they carry "organic" chicken from a source in Ohio which supplies ALL the Krogers. Sourcing from huge distant farms defeats the point of buying fresh, local and organic. But, hey, it's price competitive!

As for hardware stores - I find the smaller local stores (and I don't mean Home Depot) are excellent. The staff is actually knowledgeable and often from the industry. It might take trips to the dedicated plumbing store and the dedicated electric supply store to get what I want, but I'd much rather deal with local than to go to one huge store with staff that don't know PEX from PVC.

The good garden stores here tend to be seasonal, local operations - they open late spring and close in the fall, and often have plants and trees from their own supply farms. The big stores (Wal-Mart, Home Depot) most often get their stuff from the big nurseries in California - fine if you live in the California Central Valley climate, not fine if you don't.

It's true that the smaller stores are often more expensive, but not generally by enough that it's worth the trouble. I'd rather go back to a central shopping district with specific stores - produce, butcher, baker than an all-in-one megamart. My time is valuable, but what I'm paying for in convenience I'm losing in quality.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:15 PM

15,653 posts, read 10,564,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
It's true that the smaller stores are often more expensive, but not generally by enough that it's worth the trouble. I'd rather go back to a central shopping district with specific stores - produce, butcher, baker than an all-in-one megamart. My time is valuable, but what I'm paying for in convenience I'm losing in quality.
Amen I second that! I prefer going to the meat market, farmer's market, hardware store too. These super mega centers have gotten out of touch for elderly and disabled to be able to shop their stores. Sure you have the little electric scooters but it is hard getting around stores with boxes in the isles or people constantly walking out in front of you. Or dare I say it? Lazy people that take them away from people that truly need them.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:12 PM

40,871 posts, read 42,078,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Amen I second that! I prefer going to the meat market, farmer's market, hardware store too. These super mega centers have gotten out of touch for elderly and disabled to be able to shop their stores. Sure you have the little electric scooters but it is hard getting around stores with boxes in the isles or people constantly walking out in front of you. Or dare I say it? Lazy people that take them away from people that truly need them.

Well since wal-mart got the electric carts even the local stores had to supply them. Al you have to do is comapre the prices to see teh same item cost more at local stores;except some mega competitios. Only thng I see cheap at local stores is saes and eventhen you see the sam eitem advertise at a much higher price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living