U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-17-2008, 07:49 PM

4,153 posts, read 5,944,394 times
And that's all fine and well when it pertains particularly to you.
Then just say that when you are making aggressive argumentative posts claiming that you have more information about the inner workings of Walmart, and that everyone else is misinformed.
Clearly you have an opinion, just like everyone else.
To get all shrill and claim other's ignorance about your opinion on Walmart based on your personal experience shopping there is not based in definitive facts about big box retailers and all the problems that go with it.
There are plenty of us who do live in rural and small towns that are posting here, it's not simply a urban vs. rural thing, and don't act like it is.
And why do you suppose your town offers nothing...Did it ever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-18-2008, 07:49 AM

27,242 posts, read 9,643,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
And that's all fine and well when it pertains particularly to you.
Then just say that when you are making aggressive argumentative posts claiming that you have more information about the inner workings of Walmart, and that everyone else is misinformed.
Clearly you have an opinion, just like everyone else.
To get all shrill and claim other's ignorance about your opinion on Walmart based on your personal experience shopping there is not based in definitive facts about big box retailers and all the problems that go with it.
There are plenty of us who do live in rural and small towns that are posting here, it's not simply a urban vs. rural thing, and don't act like it is.
And why do you suppose your town offers nothing...Did it ever?
Shrill? You must be projecting. I think you have been quite aggressive in your posts, this post is an example of that aggression

My opinion is just as valuable as yours. There is quite a bit of misinformation posted about Wal-Mart. I don't just watch the movie or media exposes on Wal-Mart, I just don't read the articles and book. I go further. I check out the statistics and how they compare to other retailers. I ask why did the author write this, why did the moviemaker focus only on Wal-Mart, and not on K-Mart, Sears and Target as well. I follow the money. Who's distributing this material, and how do they stand to profit by it?

I have said repeatedly, I don't just shop at Wal-Mart. I don't agree with all of Wal-Mart's policies. If someone chooses not to shop at Wal-Mart because as a consumer they find Wal-Mart lacking, I support that choice 100%. If someone boycotts Wal-Mart because of political reasons, and the union campaign against Wal-Mart is political, then I will challenge those reasons. Because Wal-Mart is a business. It's not an arm of the government. It's not some evil super-power.

Unread 11-18-2008, 08:56 AM

3,862 posts, read 6,999,518 times
I've been watching this situation for 20+ years. The fact that Wal-Mart has raised their game - while others have lowered theirs to meet Wal-Mart - does nothing to endear Wal-Mart to me.

Yes, Wal-Mart and other mid- to large-size discounters now pay similar part-time low-benefit wages, all get their goods from China and cheaper places. Wal-Mart is the retailer who set that low bar. Why should I reward that by shopping there, if I have any other choice? I don't.

I've lived in two towns which decided to challenge the sitings of Wal-Marts (not the fact that they were going to be built, but where they were going to build them) and watched the corporate lawyers roll into town, intimidating and threatening county planning boards. No other retailers (including Costco) ever put up such an aggressive front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living