Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 06:50 PM

175 posts, read 1,485,443 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! So I'm househunting, and found a piece of crap house on a great lot with a great view. The price is cheap (because the house is crap). It has a septic sewer, public water, and elec. Obviously a level lot where the house currently stands. I'm thinking of tearing down/bulldozing the current house and building a new one (or having a modular home built--MODULAR, not manufactured). I've never done anything like this before...what kinds of things should I consider? Aside from the cost of the new house (which I can estimate), what else cost-wise is involved? Is this a bad idea??
thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 07:41 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
Talk to your planning and zoning comitee. Maybe a building inspector, general contractor?

Old 11-17-2008, 10:24 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
You must check with your community development/planning department before doing a complete tear down. Some jurisdictions do not allow for complete and total destruction of an older home, regardless of it's condition.
Make sure that you technically CAN do it, despite what a realtor has told you.
Also check with the planning folks about the adjacent lots in the area. Make sure it's not zoned next to a commercial or in ag. zoning. and if it is find out if there is anything 'in the pipeline' for development or redevelopment, etc. etc.
Many times things don't get disclosed that should be disclosed, sometimes you have legal recourse after the purchase and other times you do not.
Make sure you've got the green light go ahead for what you want to do BEFORE you close and not have your dream home ruined by neighboring 'redevelopment' or new development.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:44 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Yes, good advice from bellalunatic.

In many areas, demolition is getting much more compicated ( and expensive)

Where I live, you used to be able to just have a bulldozer dig a big hole--------push a dilapilated building into it-------and bury it.
Today, not only can't it be buried, you must remove all asphalt shingles before you can get a burning permit.

Also, do a carefull inspection of the sceptic system cuz in some places it must be up to code to get a building permit .

Where I live, most sceptic systems over 20 years old won't pass cuz they are the old, unapproved system.

As I stated, a lot depends on the rules and law where that property is.
None of the things I mentioned might apply. But check before buying.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:38 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
I know a guy that ran into a night mare. The old house had lead paint.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:15 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
It's sometimes best to renovate the older house even if all that's left of the original by the end is a foundation and a few walls. Because what's already there will likely be grandfathered in against any newer rules. And besides which, even though your focus is the land, you're still paying extra for the house I'm sure.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:08 PM

238 posts, read 863,222 times
One thing to look into is "donating" the house to the fire dept. for a training fire. People do it around here when possible, seems to make quick work of the demolition

Old 11-21-2008, 05:47 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Kitty, you have brought up something that I have thought about also. There's lots of good advice in the previous comments. In addition to watching out for extensive amounts of lead paint, get a declaration on the amount of asbestos, that can be an even bigger concern. I think that anybody selling a home in any state has to notify you up front if there is asbestos in the home. Some small older "low end" houses used asbestos siding or asbestos backed linoleum or tiles on floors. The asbestos or lead paint issue would mean anyone doing the demolition could not just send in the dozers and knock down everything and haul it away. They would have to follow all kinds of hazardous waste removal safety procedures and then dump in a hazardous waste site. A huge hassle, more trouble that any savings you might hope to get.

Since this place you refer to has septic, it is a rural area or small town, correct? As long it is not in a "historical preservation district" you should have several options. If you are outside of city limits, there will likely be fewer restrictions. If it is rural and not in view of many other homes, you also have fewer restrictions because there are fewer people that care about what you do on the land. But you still can't get around any hazardous materials that might be there. Good luck.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:25 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,290 times
At least with a new building you will know it will be more energy efficient which in this day and age is really important. The fact that the ulitlities are already in place will really help. If the view is great what a wonderful place to build a home. A great view is sure worth a lot...
We had a 1800 sq. foot house years ago and we built one that was 4300 sq ft. We had five kids. We super insulated and wrapped the pipes, put in good windows, etc. Our utilities were just the same as the small house. It pays to put in those things up front because you will save in the long run.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:16 PM

175 posts, read 1,485,443 times
Well, the house was built in 1987 and there are homes to either side, but not close. Maybe 100 yards away... It is in an established neighborhood. Nice houses (except the one I'm looking at), great views, paved streets, but a rural part of California. So since it was built in '87, I don't think I'd have to worry about lead paint. Not sure about asbestos, when did they stop using that?

--- I like the fire idea....not sure if they'd do it with houses on either side, even though they are not that close-----

Ok, so do I have to hire a contractor to have him check it out and see about the 'remodeling' process? Or what is my first step to see if this is even possible? I guess what I'm asking is, where is the #1 place to start? How do I find out what the laws are as far as tearing down vs. "remodeling". Or should I get a contractor out of the yellow pages and have him come and look at the place first?

Last edited by kitty3; 11-23-2008 at 02:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living