Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 12:39 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times

Advertisements

Good Ideas are always welcomed from what I have seen. An idea being proposed because "This is the way we did it ..." usually isn't well received. There is a difference in the way they are presented, and the article made it sound like everybody in a rural area is just sitting around sucking on a sarsaparilla and spittin' Chaw waiting for somebody from a city to lead them into the 19th century. Couple years down the road we will introduce 20th century technology, but not too soon because they just are not up to the challenge yet. And MAYBE their kids will be ready for the newer 21st century ideas.

I agree the article was very poorly written. Comes across wrong, and sounds like the ideas contained in it were concocted by an 11 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 12:40 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
I think some of you bumpkins (hey, you called us slickers so it's fair, right?) are being a little touchy about the article. It's not very well-written, but the author never uses the term "advanced thinking." Here's the pertinent part of the article:

"Be involved. Small towns are in a state of expansion and development. They need modern thinkers like you who can lead them to more advanced ways of doing things."

It does come off as a little righteous - what's "modern thinking" anyway? But what I took this to mean is that city folk should try to get involved in their community if they move to a small town (that's a good thing, right?) and where those small towns are undergoing expansion and development, as many are, city folk can provide some ideas based on their experience in living in an area that's already expanded and developed. Maybe your town is thinking about forming a baseball little league - and there just might be someone from a larger city who's coached in one, knows about how many kids you need to make it work, how many coaches, teams, etc. Or you're debating between putting in a roundabout or a four-way stop at a busy intersection, and there's a city slicker who can tell you the pros and cons. I don't consider any of this "modern thinking," though.
The statement pretty clearly implies that rural people are backwards and/or uneducated.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:03 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The statement pretty clearly implies that rural people are backwards and/or uneducated.
And me for one defnlty laks it lak that.....LOL....We deal with those types a lot around here...they move down out of the city,buy a piece of property and instead of getting involved,they try to run the show....most end up selling out and going back from whence they came bitter at us for not caring about a new fire station or playground they are pushing at the town hall meetings.The OLD station is fine and our kids play wherever they please and wouldn't use a playground anyway .But yet they want BETTER for us.GOD bless 'em one and all......A few assimilate and do just fine,but not to many.We just buy their tractors and goodies when they are ready to move back up north and we wait to sell it to the next one that comes down.We're stupid like that ya know

Old 12-01-2008, 02:41 PM

59 posts, read 190,469 times
About a year ago, my wife and I moved from a large city of around 1 million to just outside a small town of about 9 thousand. Something that has served us well when finding oneself in a new and maybe totally unfamilliar area or situation is keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open. There have been more than a few times when I wondered why something was done one way here and differently where I was from. Then, after observing things for a while, the answer would become clear, thereby saving myself some embarrassment, and saving my new neighbors from calling me names.

Get involved? Yes, but tread lightly. Start small and get to know your new home town and its people. Maybe after a while, you may really be able to contribute something instead being referred to as a "citiot".

I personally have found and developed a strong friendship with a neighbor who has lived his whole life in the area. When I do have a question about local customs or ways that I really can't figure out, I am comfortable enough to ask him for an explanation. (It also doesn't hurt to make fun of yourself a little. I usually start "Hey Mike!! I've got another dumb Yankee, city boy question for ya.") He's never steered me wrong.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:00 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaman View Post
About a year ago, my wife and I moved from a large city of around 1 million to just outside a small town of about 9 thousand. Something that has served us well when finding oneself in a new and maybe totally unfamilliar area or situation is keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open. There have been more than a few times when I wondered why something was done one way here and differently where I was from. Then, after observing things for a while, the answer would become clear, thereby saving myself some embarrassment, and saving my new neighbors from calling me names.

Get involved? Yes, but tread lightly. Start small and get to know your new home town and its people. Maybe after a while, you may really be able to contribute something instead being referred to as a "citiot".

I personally have found and developed a strong friendship with a neighbor who has lived his whole life in the area. When I do have a question about local customs or ways that I really can't figure out, I am comfortable enough to ask him for an explanation. (It also doesn't hurt to make fun of yourself a little. I usually start "Hey Mike!! I've got another dumb Yankee, city boy question for ya.") He's never steered me wrong.
GREAT POST!!!!! rep2u

Old 12-01-2008, 05:31 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Here are some tips from a website on moving to a small town:
OMG, that is whacky. Guess writers get desperate to make some $$$ and just write anything.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:02 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
.........I had to laugh when they said that for 90% of Mainers the Wall Street debacle over the last month has had little impact because things have been tough here for so long.
Yea, we get the same thing in West Virginia. Want to hear something really funny - West Virginia's unemployment in Sept was 3.7, in October was 4.0. Ranks 2.5% lower in unemployment than the rest of the nation. Of the 30 best markets to Find a Job, 2 of our cities are in the top 13, while the housing market has imploded ours has increased 7% and from May-Aug we were the fastest growing (economic increase) state in the nation.

I liken us to The Little Engine That Could - we just chug along while the shiny fast new "engines" laugh at us as they fly by. But when they break, they break hard and we just keep chugging along.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:51 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
What I really want is to get paid 10 cents per cow for each time a car from out of state stops and starts yelling mooo about the same time they start taking pictures. It kind of wants me to go to NYC and yell "honk,honk, honk for no apparent reason.
...I've taken pics of cows, but I swear I've never yelled "mooo" at them!

Old 12-02-2008, 03:46 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
I think some of you bumpkins (hey, you called us slickers so it's fair, right?) are being a little touchy about the article. It's not very well-written, but the author never uses the term "advanced thinking." Here's the pertinent part of the article:

"Be involved. Small towns are in a state of expansion and development. They need modern thinkers like you who can lead them to more advanced ways of doing things."
When my wife complains about my driving or the way I go about doing some chore she has given me, I say, "Honey, how in the world did I manage to live so long without your direction?" Then, she'll laugh and say, "I simply do not know, but I'm here now, so don't worry."

Now, I don't love newcomers nearly as much as I love my wife, so I get really irritated when some slicker moves to town and starts telling us bumpkins how we need to act or think. For the most part, I'd rather "divorce" myself from newcomers.

Somehow, Naptowner, small towners and rural folks all across this land have managed to muddle through the years without direction from newcomers or outsiders. Too many newcomers, most of them it seems, think the history of a place started when they arrived.

Wherever it is you live now, Naptowner, the bumpkins got along really well without you. All of you newcomers should remember that. Now, we'll suffer you in silence and wait for you to prove that you're willing to be one of us. Often, we think (or say to one another): " I wish that sumbeach would go back to wherever he came from." Sometimes, though, we may eventually say to another old-timer when we see you wave as you drive by, "You know, for an import, he (or she) is a pretty good ole boy (or gal)."

Old 12-02-2008, 04:11 AM

23 posts, read 88,160 times
Default and you wonder why the south lost the war of the rebellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermouse View Post
No problem! Just send us back all the food you planned on eating today.
It was this kind of thinking that cut off the real lines of food,and absolute needs from the north and midwest,and heartlands that all but starved the South during the war of the the Rebellion.

It is an absolute scientific reality small towns are drying up,and in part due to out dated traditions,and closed mindedness.

It doesnt matter who invented what when,the facts are that the real careers ,and quality education systems,as well as medical needs still remain in the big noisey,crime ridden cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living