U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 12-18-2008, 05:21 PM

1,297 posts, read 1,926,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Hikers and such didn't bother us, but these days, if they were allowed free access to our land and were injured, we could pretty much count on being sued, if not by them, by their health insurance carrier. So if you want to blame anyone for lack of access, blame the overly-litigious society that we live in.
We are lucky here. Maine has a law that keeps landowners from being sued because of that very reason. Maine is 99% privately owned so it would kill snowmobiling, atving, hunting, fishing, etc if such litigation was allowed to go on. Thankfully our state has that law to protect landowners...for those that don't I understand your point.

As for hunting, I can understand your point on that too, at least in some ways, but I do think those that hunt (responsibly) should have access to land. Not everyone is fortunately to own several hundred acres. If I had silly gun toters next to my house I would have concerns too, but as long as they well away from the house, its no big deal.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-18-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
it's been tradition in some places (Maine for instance) where there's little public land to allow access. Posting your land is entirely your right but watch out if you do in some places, especially if you're a newcomer...I've heard of people practically driven from areas who've done so.
That is oh so true here (Maine). We often tell people from away NOT to post their land, and they do anyway and then complain when their gates are smashed, posted signs are ripped down and spike boards put down. It can get nasty.

One neighbor soon learned that less damage was done to his property when he simply left his gate open. He was only there 2 weeks a year anyway and when that happened, his privacy was respected. The remaining 50 weeks, all was well, but this guy did live on the end of a peninsula that had access to the ocean. It was a long established spot for fishermen and lobstermen so yes here, a buyer must "buy into tradition" even if its not like that where they came from.

Unread 12-18-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
And me for one defnlty laks it lak that.....LOL....We deal with those types a lot around here...they move down out of the city,buy a piece of property and instead of getting involved,they try to run the show....most end up selling out and going back from whence they came bitter at us for not caring about a new fire station or playground they are pushing at the town hall meetings.The OLD station is fine and our kids play wherever they please and wouldn't use a playground anyway .But yet they want BETTER for us.GOD bless 'em one and all......A few assimilate and do just fine,but not to many.We just buy their tractors and goodies when they are ready to move back up north and we wait to sell it to the next one that comes down.We're stupid like that ya know
To get this back to the original post, I think the difference between people from away moving in to an area and the natives that are here, all boils down to a set of different standards.

• People from away are trying to find a better place
  • People that are here are content being where they are
Its a huge difference because those that arrive from away, lack connection and stamina. They realized that where they came from was not narvana and they are out looking for it. Good for them, but when a certain town starts to lose its new town smell, or doesn't meet their perfection standards, they grow bitter and often times move on. As a society this occuring more and more frequently and its bombarded in our heads. Need more room in your home? Do you want better schools. Do you want less crime...just move on and you will find it. Unfortunately many move and move again and never find it.

For us natives. We are NOT looking for narvana. We are not looking for the pot of gold. We like where we are living just fine, with its pluses and minues and are just plain content where we are. No sense to move on. No sense to improve the place, because its just fine as it is.

What gets us into trouble is that we often don't realize that we have to fight to protect our way of life. We just assume the way its been for us, is how it will be for our kids. That isn't so. We need to be more active in our towns so that each town across america, which has its own unique identity, kind of stays that way.

In other words, my small town is no better then any other small town in the USA, but it is different and unique. Its only after something major happens, or something major moves in, that we realize our way of life is, and has always been, up for grabs. We can't stop change, but we can control it to some degree. We just got to get involved.

Unread 12-18-2008, 08:09 PM

13,610 posts, read 3,411,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
We often tell people from away NOT to post their land, and they do anyway and then complain when their gates are smashed, posted signs are ripped down and spike boards put down. It can get nasty.
In Missouri, acts of vandalism is great way to end up staring down the barrel of a gun if your caught.

It can get nasty all right.

Unread 12-18-2008, 08:18 PM

15,269 posts, read 19,550,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
As for hunting, I can understand your point on that too, at least in some ways, but I do think those that hunt (responsibly) should have access to land. Not everyone is fortunately to own several hundred acres. If I had silly gun toters next to my house I would have concerns too, but as long as they well away from the house, its no big deal.
Yes, and here hunters can lease hunting lands. They can pay for the privilege of hunting on land belonging to someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
In Missouri, acts of vandalism is great way to end up staring down the barrel of a gun if your caught.

It can get nasty all right.

Yes. On occasion no hunting signs have been shot. I've often wanted to put a sign that says, "No hunting. Survivors will be prosecuted," with the bullet holes in the sign going OUT.

Unread 12-18-2008, 09:15 PM

13,610 posts, read 3,411,400 times
Quote:

Yes. On occasion no hunting signs have been shot.

That's too bad. When the property owner gets blamed, that's absurd. The O W N E R.

Last edited by MoNative34; 12-18-2008 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: sp

Unread 12-18-2008, 09:37 PM

39,285 posts, read 38,710,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermouse View Post
No problem! Just send us back all the food you planned on eating today.

I don;t think that plain simple country folks greaw most of that food. In fact looking at governamnt support especailly in teh farm bill recetnly passed :i doubt many farms would be there without othewrs financial help. But tehnm alot of scientfic research and industril help was also needed. many very large farms are not owned by simple country folks.Might also want to thank all those in shiiping and transporting for helping to get your products to market and of course the tax beas on that land.

Unread 12-19-2008, 07:59 AM

14,009 posts, read 11,883,042 times
Quote:
Yes, and here hunters can lease hunting lands. They can pay for the privilege of hunting on land belonging to someone else.
Just isn't done around here. Some people will own hunting camps here but few would be interested in paying for a lease to hunt. Too commercial. The culture in TX is entirely different than up North.

Unread 12-19-2008, 08:12 AM

15,269 posts, read 19,550,885 times
Yes, in Texas the choice is simple: buy (or inherit) your own land, hunt with permission on the land of a friend, pay a hunting lease (frequently a few friends will go in together on one). Works nicely - respects property rights and allows those without their own land to have access to it.

It's only when people have a sense of entitlement about the use of property belonging to others that issues arise. Mostly, if they didn't have that attitude and actually asked permission, making sure they knew the rules of the game and what they could NOT do on the property, they'd be allowed to hunt on that very land.

Unread 12-19-2008, 08:38 AM

652 posts, read 1,637,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
And me for one defnlty laks it lak that.....LOL....We deal with those types a lot around here...they move down out of the city,buy a piece of property and instead of getting involved,they try to run the show....most end up selling out and going back from whence they came bitter at us for not caring about a new fire station or playground they are pushing at the town hall meetings.The OLD station is fine and our kids play wherever they please and wouldn't use a playground anyway .But yet they want BETTER for us.GOD bless 'em one and all......A few assimilate and do just fine,but not to many.We just buy their tractors and goodies when they are ready to move back up north and we wait to sell it to the next one that comes down.We're stupid like that ya know
LOL we moved to a small town a little over a yr ago. I am always complaining to DH that there isnt a playground and churches dont like the kids to play on their land. He keeps trying to get me to go to the city meetings and offer ideas and push for a playground! I keep telling him we are already "disliked" and I dont want to be "hated"! We really like the town but it is amazing how close minded and clickish most of the people are. I am hoping things will be better in another yr or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living